It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dirty Secret In Your Glass Of "Healthy" Orange Juice - Proof That Globalism = Nasty Feces

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Akasirus

when the chemicals are actually reacting they produce water...go figure...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anoynymoose
And the moral of the story...

Don't drink orange juice, eat a orange!

Make sure you wash it first though after peeling. At least rinse with water.

edit on 30-7-2011 by Anoynymoose because: (no reason given)

rinse with the 'slurry' tap water which isn't actually water.. but water plus a whole boatload of chemicals, chlorine, fluoride.. etc.. and dead organisms? .... nope... rinse with PURE water.. purified by reverse osmosis!

but yes.. buy organic or locally picked organic oranges then juice them!
make a bunch of it and freeze it or jar it and have your own!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Fruit juices are some of the most over-hyped products on the market, especially orange juice. And, in fact, they aren't the health drinks that many are made to believe. The barrage of fructose from a couple glasses of orange juice is almost the equivalent of a glass of soda.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

While I agree with decentralization, I don't think "Globalization" is the problem here....rather it's huge 'capitalism gone wild' companies that think they can get away with anything. You find the same sort of nonsense happening in American owned huge corporations that you do in foreign ones. We can only control what our companies produce, not foreign ones.....and shutting our financial doors to the rest of the world would do nothing but cripple us financially. Best regulate business here in 'the richest country in the world' (which I know is arguable...but were at least in the second spot). If we start making a better quality product then I imagine other foreign companies will follow suit. Of course American's will probably still prefer the over-processed juice.....but that's another issue entirely.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustinSee
If anyone is bored, and you have netflix, watch Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. In only a short time on a "juice fast" you can lose TONS of weight and gain tons of energy.

This is freaky! A friend of mine who is a retired nurse, yoga instructor and vegan to boot, just gave me a copy of this "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" yesterday.

Her husband (who is also a dietitian) has been following a juice and smoothie diet this last week and has lost 9 pounds. I had set the DVD aside thinking I would save it for a rainy day...now I will try to watch it tonight. Will post my thoughts.

Thanks for the prompting JustinSee.

YogaGinns

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Oh well were all going to die anyways theres fluroide in the water, poison in the food, poision in the air and basically poison everywhere but we have to eat or we die so pick your poison

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Its a symptom of mass production.
We would all like healthy,fresh neutricious food,but we still go to wall-mart to buy crap. Im guilty of that too.
We really should all buy fresh foods from local private shops like in victorian days. It would also distribute wealth and pride to local people,local comunities.Whats left of local communities;yet annother symptom of the mega corporations mass production system.

Though its impossible for a small producer and retailer to compete against these big mega-corps.
The only way to resolve it is through the mega-corps abandoning thier mass production system and mega-stores and go back to small shop holders under franchise's.

Part of the problem also is,we want doritoe's and ben & jerry's ice cream ect.
So looks like nothing can really be done untill consumers change their eating and shopping habits.

edit on 31-7-2011 by hrmmm because: typo error

edit on 31-7-2011 by hrmmm because: more typos

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
1 more thing to add,and its an important thing,as we are talking health.

If produce was locally produced and sold,it would help prevent pandemics,however and sadly were back to that old "root" of all our problems;money or the lack of it distributed adequatly.

There would have to be 1000's of CDC'S and food safety facilitys for testing ect,to ensure food safety and in case of contamination,the source and issues were delt with.
imo a holistic approach needs to be taken.That is;its money,costs that are the problem with all the things that have turned "sour" in our modern world.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMur
reply to post by Akasirus

when the chemicals are actually reacting they produce water...go figure...

What does this have anything tomdo with whether it is harmful or not? A chemical is very simply a form of matter that has a contestant chemical composition. Water itself is a chemical. There are dozens of other chemicals in the oranges and the orange juice. Most chemicals are completely benign, if not required for life.

This post words a very harmless step in juice manufacturing as if it is a plot against you, and you should be outraged. The amazing thing is that people actually ARE outraged. Why? I would just like to know why this flawed interpretation of a study makes you orange juice any better or worse for your than before you knew (Hint: it doesn't)

Aseptic storage is a completely harmless process and nearly everything you drink, and many things you eat, are stored this way. If you want your precious fruit juice outside of fruit season, and your other drinks to have a shelf life of more than a couple days, you have to remove the oxygen from it so bacteria cannot grow. Even fresh tomatoes have the air removed and are stored for year round shipment. This doesn't change the composition of the product, or alter the taste. The oxygen they removed doesn't somehow remove all the flavoring. Drinking the juice months after it was picked does change the flavor however, and that is all this addition tries to remedy.

Unless you can somehow prove that this 'chemical' is harmful, there is nothing to worry about here. You tell someone there is a small amount of pineapple flavoring in their orange juice and they think "Oh, that's kind of interesting". But you tell someone there's a CHEMICAL added to their orange juice, and without a second thought they are swearing it off forever. It's the height of ignorance. It is easy to be ruled by your emotions, it is much harder to use your brain and think rationally about the information presented before jumping to conclusions.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Reply to post by Akasirus

Yes, and it is ttypical of most of the posts concerning foods on ATS.

So much ignorance on a site that is supposed to pride itself in denying ignorance. ;DNA:

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
Without regulations and regular inspections, it would more than likely be worse. Like dead animals, unfiltered insects in the juice, etc. I dont get arguments like yours, where you can see that our food is being poisoned, and you think that if there were no regulations, that all of a sudden the big corps would clean up their act? Get real.

Get real what?
It's because of regulatory positions that big corps ARE big corps & have a stronghold on the market.
It is because of regulations that you see less small business that have good product but can't even begin entrepreneurship
It's because of regulations that Big Corps have the market in a headlock.

Originally posted by aching_knucklesHave you ever read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair? You should have, i think its required in high school.....i would rather have a little bureaucracy than rat feces and limbs in my juice.

you live in a world where big corp puts nasty feces in your foods and execs hold key regulatory positions
you live in a world where they want to depopulate the earth

you live in a world where before all these regulations there where it was way better BEFORE all these regulations.

It's insane for you to want to empower the same body you find immensely corrupt

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

you live in a world where before all these regulations there where it was way better BEFORE all these regulations.

You obviously didnt read the guys post about going to mexico. if you hate safety regulations, move somewhere else. Love it or leave it, right?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is exactly why i make myself fresh squeeze orange juice every morning.

A juicing machine is well money spent !

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Half a year later ABC finally picks this up...but hey at least they finally did. I'm still fuming over this, though I guess I should have known better.

Orange Juice's 'Secret Ingredient' Worries Some Health-Minded Moms

For the last 30 years, the citrus industry has used flavor packs to process what the Food and Drug Administration identifies as "pasteurized" orange juice. That includes top brands such as Tropicana, Minute Maid, Simply Orange and Florida Natural, among others.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I know this is super old now so apologies from reviving a long dead thread. However, I've seen some of this going around on Facebook and so now am just finding out about it. I see a lot of people overreacting because they simply don't understand what they're reading.

Sure, it's processed...how in the world do you expect it to be available year round and across the US without being processed? The fact remains though that this is all just orange juice.

Lucidity, did you even read that article you posted? More fear mongering...this is straight from that article:

Before packaging and shipping, the juice is then jazzed up with an added flavor pack, gleaned from orange byproducts such as the peel and pulp, to compensate for the loss of taste and aroma during the heating process.
Flavor packs are created from the volatile compounds that escape from the orange during the pasteurization step.

But, she said, "It's not made in a lab or made in a chemical process, but comes through the physical process of boiling and capturing the [orange essence]."

Much ado about nothing. "Chemicals in our orange juice, oh no!" It's all made from oranges.

This is the article I see going around on facebook about this, which itself is a couple years old: www.bloomberg.com...

I think people see "engineers" and start thinking this is chemically derived in a lab, don't bother reading. It's all made from oranges, and during peak season it doesn't even sit around:

In peak season—roughly April to June—oranges can go from grove to glass in less than 24 hours.

Anyway, apologies again for reviving such an old thread, facebook made me do it!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
You know I used to love hte lemons in the morning breakfast at the restaurants. Then I got the news there're feces on them! There was a study or several studies done on lemons found at various restaurants in the nation. They did tests and found all manners of bacterial, viral and fecal matter on them. Yuck! Then again, I still enjoy my lemons. I know it's gross, but I'm not dead yet. So my advice is don't worry! The worrying will hurt you more.

Reminds me when I was kid. I didn't eat my sandwiches if they fell on teh floor. Got over that when I was about 20-something. The trick? Go to a 3rd world country. Be humbled. Come back and you're human again.
edit on 16-3-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: eccentriclady
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

On that note, although off topic, (sorry) My ex refused to eat potatos from our compost heap, because they were dirty! I haven't stopped laughing about that. He didn't get the joke,

Guess a midden heap would have him running for the hills.

Midden

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Pimpish

Still isn't fresh squeezed, is it? And isn't "not from concentrate," is it? And by their own admission it loses "something" the zest, aroma, flavor so they have to boost the base product which has probably also lost all its original nutrients.
edit on 3/16/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Still isn't fresh squeezed, is it? And isn't "not from concentrate," is it? And by their own admission it loses "something" the zest, aroma, flavor so they have to boost the base product which has probably also lost all its original nutrients.

So?

"Lost all it's original nutrients", talk about hyperbole.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join