It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let The People Vote? Yes...On Every Bill!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The Republic has failed. How much more apparent can it get?

...and just HOW did it get to this lowly, depraved state? Because....

HUMAN NATURE will not allow the few to rule the many without some form of unjust DOMINANCE. It is human nature to dominate one's territory, and these politicians have us on lockdown, folks.

This country - ALL of its citizens, have been dominated by the IDEA that government knows BETTER than the people, when in fact the people should BE the government.

We have been dumbed down to the point where we are made to believe that politics is only for politicians!

I think it's time that our legislators hand the vote over to US.
That's right... I said LET THE PEOPLE VOTE on every Bill that they introduce.

How does that sound?
And folks, if you think the people of America are too STUPID to run their own country, just remember that this also includes yourself, your family and all of your friends!

As far as the method, if we can shop and pay our taxes online, we can damn sure VOTE online just as securely. (In 1776 this would not have been possible!)

Now let's hear some arguments for and against, and see if we can turn this into a real thread!

(Sorry for all the EMPHASIS!)

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

edit on 7/30/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

I have read, and understand why you have an all-caps policy.
However, this should not apply to my post. They were creative choices, and I did not use ALL CAPS in ALL of my post.

If ATS can't live with this, then please promptly delete my account.

edit on 30-7-2011 by DeReK DaRkLy because: "ALL CAPS DISCUSSION"

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It's a nice idea in theory but the tyranny of the majority is a very possible outcome. What we need to do is elect real representatives. The republic hasn't failed us, the people who run it have.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The Emperor will clear out the remnants of the old republic and the people and other governments will fall in line. I think that was something close to the line in Star Wars and we are seeing the evil Emperor Obama being challenged by the Tea Party Jedi's.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think its a great idea, but I am sure that it would be rigged up like
Harry Reeds election!!
I don't see how we have a chance at
turning this situation around,these corrupt politicians need to be
thrown out on their ASSESS!!!
Then we could get to work on rebuilding this great nation!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It's a nice thought but it would leave the country to be controlled by mob rule. There are groups that hate that have majorities, do you want them governing you?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
A republic requires an informed populace who can demand sensible actions from their elected representatives and hold them to account if they fail to deliver.

That is missing.

The US populace are largely ignorant of the workings of the world or their own government. In the current state of ignorance and dogma you would get as much of a useful result by letting chimps vote on the bills.

If you fix the broken media system and educate people as to whats really going on the system would correct itself. Thats why any attempt at exposing hidden information provokes a furious response from the establishment and why people who speak truth are considered fringe lunatics.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Oh no, no, no. These scumbags got you guys into this mess, now let them get you out of it. [SNIP]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 7/30/2011 by tothetenthpower because: Removed T&C infraction.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Tell you what... I will run for Congress when I turn twenty five.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I agree with another poster that mob rule on important decisions is a bad idea. If you look at how many people vote at the local level you will see it would be too easy to hijack a vote to fit the will of corporations, religions, or anyone else that feels they have a righteous cause. I personally think a better way would be to let the common folk pick where they tax money goes. You would see us get ahead in the technology race and have a better educated populace in no time. You would also see the wars and foreign aide stop pretty quick too. The only argument against this I would see is Obama and his crew coming out and saying something typically elitist like the common folk don't understand where money needs to go to run a country.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Sounds good, but we would have to go vote almost everyday. so unless we could do it like voting for american idol (text etc) i don't think it would work.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 9Nania
It's a nice idea in theory but the tyranny of the majority is a very possible outcome. What we need to do is elect real representatives. The republic hasn't failed us, the people who run it have.

Very well said! The voters of the United States have failed miserably in their decisions they made in the voting booth!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
That is so idiotic.

The way you all complain about sheeple all of the time, compared to things like this that you say just don't add up.

Much like your belief in either God or Aliens or Spirituality while maintaining a conservative ideology. These things just don't make sense. (That's for a whole 'nother thread, but if you think about it, it's complete insanity that people hold such contradictory beliefs) It's like you all are forcing octagonal shapes through a triangle shaped hole. I wonder about this site and it's people.
The founders specifically made it so that the uneducated majority would not have so much power in this nation due to the fact that they would always be less educated than trained professionals in this case. You don't necessarily need career politicians, but you need actual individuals with know how and the ability to understand and interpret the far reaching implications of certain laws and government projects. What you don't need is an uneducated mass of people who think they know best and are swayed by nothing more than the mob brain.

The tyranny of the majority is quite real, and it's frightening. The masses will never be educated like the individual. What you need to do is decide whether or not you desire for your elected officials to follow a Delegate based model or a Trustee based model. That, you can find out by the persons campaign, calling their office, and scrutinizing their agenda.

People voting on every bill, are you out of your tinfoil mind? Sometimes I wonder...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Nania

And how do you propose that we elect "real" representatives in a system which is obviously rigged to favor chosen candidates?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotsPride

these corrupt politicians need to be thrown out on their ASSESS!!! Then we could get to work on rebuilding this great nation!

Great, but how can corruption ever be vanquished unless the people are included in the decision making process?
All politicians, even good ones, can become corrupted!

Starting over with the same type of system will only bring a repeat!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

It's a nice thought but it would leave the country to be controlled by mob rule. There are groups that hate that have majorities, do you want them governing you?

Who are these hateful majorities??

Only the oppressed soul hates!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

The US populace are largely ignorant of the workings of the world or their own government. In the current state of ignorance and dogma you would get as much of a useful result by letting chimps vote on the bills.

Yet we let chimps vote for our officials? How is this better?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

The founders specifically made it so that the uneducated majority would not have so much power in this nation due to the fact that they would always be less educated than trained professionals in this case. You don't necessarily need career politicians, but you need actual individuals with know how and the ability to understand and interpret the far reaching implications of certain laws and government projects.

If our educated minority weren't so intent on keeping the majority stupid and under control, then we would have an educated majority.

If the people have a say in the system, they will start to get informed!

You are denouncing your own human race!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
There will ALWAYS be stupidity... and the dumbest ones wouldn't even bother to vote anyway, so who cares?

Everyone is explaining to me how chimplike the human race is... look at ourselves!

We have all been turned against each other! So much disdain!

You people love yourSELVES, but have forgotten that the world is your only source of personal confirmation!

If you guys think people are so hopeless, then why not hang yourselves now?

I'm done with this... you guys can have this thread. I've made my points. Good day!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Term Limits!!!!!

If we have them for the President why not everyone else?

This includes the Supreme Court.

A balanced budget amendment would be the first step.

Lower the age for running for office to 25 for elected federal positions.

We are in the situation we are in now because old coots made poor decisions and lived only in the present not their children and grand-children's future.

Pass a law that makes it illegal to name a federal building or facility after a elected official.

I know that last one does nothing but I hate having to go to these buildings name after crooks.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy
HUMAN NATURE will not allow the few to rule the many without some form of unjust DOMINANCE.

...i'm not sure what that generalization means to you...

It is human nature to dominate one's territory,

...if that was true, there would be no such thing as abused spouses or stockholm syndrome or, well, gosh, theres a long list of conditions that prove there are many humans who cannot or choose not to dominate...

the people should BE the government.

...i dont disagree but, as far as i know, thats a tribal concept that has only happened among very small groups and has never actually been accomplished on a large scale anywhere...

LET THE PEOPLE VOTE on every Bill
How does that sound?

...well intentioned but naive...

...the worst of the big deals (that affect us and other people everywhere our alphabet agencies and military goes) are made in secreted places... the only part of those dealings that might come up on a bill is the funding but, usually, thats disguised with rhetoric and other noxious crap...

As far as the method, if we can shop and pay our taxes online, we can damn sure VOTE online just as securely.

..."just as securely" doesnt mean secure... there is no computer program that is corruption proof and i seriously doubt there ever will be...

I have read, and understand why you have an all-caps policy. However, this should not apply to my post. They were creative choices, and I did not use ALL CAPS in ALL of my post.

...buttinski sidenote: that mod action might lend credence to your "its human nature to dominate" concept - so, maybe you should think of it like the old adage about lemons and lemonade...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join