It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists: You believe in UFO's but not God?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
When there are thousands of witness testimonies claiming to either have been abducted or seen aliens, tens of thousands of images and videos of UFOs, and a universe so incredibly vast and filled with hundreds of billions of stars with the potential for life in nearly every solar system, 8 bodies which could harbor life in our solar system alone, then obviously alien life exists.

Forget all of the witnesses, all of the images, all of the stories, and all of the videos. The universe is so big and packed with so many starts that thinking we are the only planet orbiting a star that happened to develop life is ignorant, selfish, and closed-minded.

Proof for God on the other hand? Some old book, which contradicts dozens of other religious books that claims their religion and their God is the right one.

So.....yeah, the two aren't even in the same ballpark.
edit on 30-7-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

Took the words right out of my mouth.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I was resisting from adding to this thread but there has been a couple of posts that I agree with so I want to join in.

OP, your beliefs are yours and no one can take that from you. Much like my beliefs are my own and so on.

I lost both my parents when I was younger, mother was a long battle with breast cancer. She was a Christian, she prayed and she died, not quickly, more of a dragged out painful decay. The words that Christians use gets under my skin, "God works in mysterious ways". Well that is just a crock of jobby. No I do not have any source to back this up so please forgive my venting, it's pretty much the bottom line for me.

Religion is more of a tradition these days, like many traditions, folks cling onto them for comfort.

I second the poster who mentioned the relationship between Christmas and Easter and the Pagan celebrations, that is as true as that comes for me.

Now onto your initial question. I have more belief that there indeed could be intelligent life out there through science.
I enjoy the Ancient Aliens series because it offers up quite believable theories that the older civilizations mistook the presence of Aliens as "Gods". Much like the game of Chinese Whispers, this mistaken interpretation has carried throughout time and has grown.

I feel happier with the thought that there are Aliens out there, because if indeed there was this God, then they must be a sick and twisted son of a gun. For the all mighty to watch as the world crumbles, most of the crumbles driven from religion, it's just not right. I would hope that, if indeed we are wrong, then when God comes down, we ask some serious questions about the agenda.

To say that you as a Christian believes in Aliens is indeed as puzzling as the whole Christian faith itself.
Why do I say this? Well I'll you think about that.
If disclosure happened some say it would destroy the religious world.

Stay safe all and Peace out.

SIB

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
ok. were to begin....

1st UFO's (unidentified flying objects) do exist, if you see something in the sky that you cant identify, then it is a UFO. this does not meen its lil green men.

2nd if you look up the drake equation, it shows mathmatically that alien civilisations must exist (im not saying they have visited us or even know that we exist). its simple probability, there are around 200 billion stars in our galaxy, 2000 discovered galaxies, so thats about 200 000 billion stars. that meens theres a 1 in 200 000 000 000 000 chance that we are alone in the universe (estimated). those are pretty slim odds.

3rd im am a firm believer that ''god'' does not exist, there is absolutely no proof that he does, and theres no point quoting the bible at me, thats like saying magic exists and reading me harry potter as proof.
however, 'IF' he does exist, he is not the sort of god id like to pray to, dropping us in the middle of a chaotic and destructive universe and leaving us to fend for ourselves.....

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The existence of aliens is no less likely than the existence of terrestrial humans.
Do you believe in other humans? If you believe in them here then you must also believe they are out there. Or are you the only one?

Edit: I realise the OP does not take the stance of there being no UFOs, but as it is okay to generalise in this thread I directed the above paragraph to all theists.
/Edit

A god is not human. There is no precedent for one.

Answer me this: Why do religious folk attack atheists? We are neutral. We don't believe in god, jesus OR the devil. We are not your antithesis. Why not duke it out with the satan-worshipers? Or are you too scared?
edit on 31/7/2011 by Planet teleX because: (no reason given)

edit on 31/7/2011 by Planet teleX because: argh

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Planet teleX

Answer me this: Why do religious folk attack atheists? We are neutral. We don't believe in god, jesus OR the devil. We are not your antithesis. Why not duke it out with the satan-worshipers? Or are you too scared?

edit on 31/7/2011 by Planet teleX because: argh

love it, i suppose some one that practices forgiveness would be afraid of some one that practices blood worship lol

and i know the op didnt need an explanation of UFO's but i had to make a point, all religions annoy me, they would be fine if they kept it to themselves and stopped trying to force feed it to me
edit on 31/7/2011 by DaveNorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeverApologize
Hello everyone! I have been doing some thinking lately. Also, a little bit of discussion among co-workers. The topic is as the post title suggests: If you don't believe in God because you can't see him, or believe him to be a tangible object, how come you believe in Aliens and UFO's?

Has science proven that Extra Terrestrials exist beyond a reasonable doubt? Have you met an alien or seen a UFO, that can be proven?

Doesn't an atheist basically believe that there is no higher power because there is no proof, in short?

My questions are simple. How come you have no issue in believing that there are aliens visiting us, yet, you cannot believe there is a God that watches over us and creates everything?

Neither have solid proof, correct? So, you are essentially going against your core beliefs right? "No proof, no existence", right?

For information about myself and my spin on the subject, I am a Christian by faith but also a believer in UFO's. Neither have I felt, or touched, but I believe in them. What is your reasoning on the subject at hand?

Simple.

Common sense.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NeverApologize

Let's see.............

An advanced race who through millennia have mastered 
The art of space travel. 

Or...........

A man with a beard who sits in a cloud who can hear all of     
Out prayers but does nothing about it. 
Oh and he made earth in 7 days but hasn't showed any proof of his existence there after. 

And let's not forget he allows the most corrupt bunch of child molesters be his main representatives on earth.

So yeh i'll take the aliens thank you.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Speaking as an athiest I believe that (aliens) exist due to mathematics. The number of galaxies, the number of stars, and the subsequent number of planets in the universe. There are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on all the beaches on earth. Mathamaticly we ate not alone. Science agrees. Even recently the Vatican says it's okay to believe in aliens. I don't believe in God because to me it's a fairy tale. Just an opionion.

Animalwar83@hotmail.com
edit on 31-7-2011 by Animalwar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

all atheists says is that two random atoms merged into existence and created the universe. So your telling me that God could not have done this but two completely random atoms could!

come on give me a break!

Atheists your fighting a lost cause, you will own bring yourself closer to the darkness that you have created!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
What if God IS not just one man but actually a race of aliens? They are up there watching us, just like "God" would be. And they have such advanced technology that they CAN hear all our thoughts. There is so much evidence in history and present that has me believing there are aliens. But as for God, other than what others have written in a "bible" I have not been completely convinced of his existance.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

That's true- all atheists want is to end the indoctrination.

Religious people can believe whatever they want as long as it doesn't affect others. Society should not be biased and promote monopoly religions such as with the case of the cross on the site of the twin towers.

Children who aren't old enough yet to think critically don't deserve to be suffocated with marketing. If the 'holy spirit' did exist, wouldn't people be flocking to chapels of their own accord?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
The answer to your question is simple. There are more reports of people seeing UFO's, and being abducted by Aliens, and providing evidence that the none-believers try to debunk.
I have prayed, none of been answered. I have tried to talk to God, I never get a reply. The Bible was written over 2000 years ago, of which NOBODY can go back and prove what happened.
This is a site, is it not, that requires evidence? Well look around the site and you will find postings of evidence regarding UFO's.
Now you do the same for ATS, and PROVE that what happened in the Bible, happend. Oh......... you can't.
So which one do you believe? Something that cannot be proven, or something that is being proven?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Sigh, religion AGAIN...

I come form a place where religion is FORCED upon you, where your left hand is tied behind you so you cannot use it, where cruel nuns smacked and hit you.

Oddly enough I don't believe it it or its ideals, religion like it or not is a huge control mechanism...

The one thing I've not seen in this thread is the very possibility that this 'god' may actually be stories based upon visitors to earth, people from the heavens. Most religions have stories of people coming here in craft, doing miraculous things, balls of light.

As for proof, there's none bar stories, stories that bear remarkable consistencies with other religions own stories.

There's simply no proof that God ever existed beyond stories and books, on the other hand we have radar data of things going at rates of speed beyond anything we have, we have film footage of pilots chasing these things. We have numerous other video's and photo's with testimonies from some pretty important people and government records relating to these matters.

I have never seen a photo of a man sitting on a cloud despite our ability to patrol the skies at will, there's no video's of god doing a miracle. There's simply just stories from a time period when story telling was their entertainment

I'm with James Randy on this, he's for years offered a 1million dollar prize for any person who can pass a psychic examination, yet in all these years NO ONE has taken him up on it...

You decide why...

edit on 31-7-2011 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowZion

all atheists says is that two random atoms merged into existence and created the universe.

HUH? No one has suggested such nonsense. Ever.

Presumably you're alluding to the big bang. This isn't an atheist viewpoint, simply because atheists share nothing in common other than a lack of belief in the gods. However, the big bang is the most widely accepted theory on the evolution of the universe. Not the beggining of the universe mind you, just its evolution. It's a view held by MOST people, including atheists, christians, muslims, hindus etc.

It's only the retarded christian right wing fundies that seem to think otherwise.

Atheists your fighting a lost cause, you will own bring yourself closer to the darkness that you have created!

(Ignoring your literary skills...) Greater knowledge brings greater understanding. It's also known as enlightenment. Believe me, as an athist I feel pretty enlighted with this better understanding science brings. In fact, I think it's fair to say that ignorance of all things real would take oneself closer to the darkness. You being a prime example of this.

edit on 31-7-2011 by WhatAliens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by ypperst
Gods/aliens.

Where is the difference?

Aliens have a point of origin God existed when there was no universe to exist in he has no point of origin.

Wouldn't aliens have been seen as Gods by early man? Maybe the aliens put us here and when they tried to explain it to people a long time ago, they didn't quite understand about cloning, bio-engineering, etc., and put it as simple as they could. God created man, god created woman from man. Just a quick thought.

edit on 30-7-2011 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

That makes more sense as the ancient kingdoms from 6,000 years ago and even further back never worshipped a 'God'. They worshipped 'The Sky Gods', 'Fallen Angels', 'Those From Heaven To Earth Came', 'In Fiery Ships'...........They worshipped their creators!

The concept of 'God' was never invented till approx 3,000 BC. Invented by Man!! Like someone said earlier, Christmas is a Pagan festival not Christian. As per usual religion borrowed some holidays and stories to use as their own.

As far as I'm concerned religion is a scam. It's a control tool, nothing more and nothing less. Athiest is just another word 'Not Gullible'. If u believe in God you might as well believe in the Tooth Fairy, Goblins, Elves and Santa Clause.

As far as Aliens are concerned? They exist. But what they are and where they are from is the big question. I have seen 4 UFO's within the past 3 years and they were not from here!!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by stevcolx

There is also The book of Enoch that was removed from the Bible. In this book he describes spaceships like the ones we see in Star Trek, including rooms that instead of doors they have lasers. He explains the laser technology as best as he can, he says they are fires of different colors and shapes, he tries to explain materials and the magical tablet that he is writing on with this magical pen.
To me this means that he was abducted by aliens and they told him what to do and what to say basically telling us that they are aliens and that we have to do what the guy in charge tells us or they will kill us.
They abducted and visited many people, in some religions they see them for what they are but still choose to worship them. They might have "created" us or altered us in some way but that does not make them Gods, the Gods that people in earth believe in. Once we became intelligent, we became like them.
There are many threads regarding this subject but it stills bothers me that the people that believe in the Christian God do not bother reading the book that tells them about their God and if they read it they do not understand it or somehow skip over or ignore those parts where it says things that contradict their ideal image of God, the Eden and the Angels.
To all of you believers, READ THE BOOK!!!!, read Genesis, read it over and over until you understand what it says. If you believe in a God and his son that are not from this earth and you believe that he is alive in human form then you believe in aliens and you believe that Jesus is with his father somewhere and it is not on planet earth, it is on what ever planet or spaceship they live in.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
God = Fiction, UFOs = Science fiction. at least science fiction has a base in science, to some degree.

In fact god is a fairy tale, fiction is giving it too much credit. and I've seen a UFO.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Aliens are more believable than God. Aliens are just people from another planet God on the other hand is a being that somehow popped into existence and snapped his fingers and created the universe.

and if an alien told you he/she/it believed in god, would you argue with them?

probably, and get your head ray gunned off.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by NeverApologize
reply to post by ypperst

I believe in God because when I was ten years old I had a massive brain tumor. I was given 6 months at max to live, with treatment.

Long story short, I was healed without medicine and only with prayer. That would make a non-believer believe right?

Never underestimate the bodies ability to heal itself. If god exists and can spontaneously heal tumors and such, why has god never spontaneously regrown a limb? How about a little pinky even? Can you explain why?

IRM

explain why he would.

just to make everyone happy? everything that happens to you has a reason you have to work out.

god is NOT social justice or communism or all things being equal.

he gave you a brain and the other guy a brain, use em and if he smites your enemy, hey, cool.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

I haven't celebrated Christmas or Easter since I was ten years old, I refused to be involved in some ritual that involves god. F you and your petty rituals of life! I am 15 now.
If you really believe you're going to see "Heaven" after you die. You are out of your damned mind.
We should all be getting help on why we celebrate petty rituals with no meaning, god is not a reason and won't ever be a reason.

If I ever have children, we won't be celebrating Christmas. Just a ritual, means nothing.
edit on 30-7-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

hey, do you know that guy from norway?

15! wow, lot's of life experience under the belt, you're practically a shaman!

do you own guns or a duster?

don't have kids dude, don't get married and don't do children's birthday parties dressed as a clown.

i suggest you call a hotline.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join