It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Robot That Flies Like A Bird

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

The SmartBird is part of the Bionic Learning Network, a collaboration between Festo, academic institutions and companies to incorporate biological principles into technology. Inspired by the seagull, the SmartBird’s lightweight wings twist as they beat up and down, maximizing efficiency of the simple drive system that powers the wings. And its automated guidance – random but avoiding collisions – makes the SmartBird seem as though it’s really got a mind of its own. You almost want to toss it a french fry

singularityhub.com...
Bionic Learning Network- www.festo.com...
Pretty cool, and here are some other bio-bionic projects from Festo

Perhaps we should view the Bionic Learning Network as a sort of high level professional incubator for new biomimetic ideas. Most of these concepts aren’t likely to make a huge splash in the industry but taken together they represent a healthy exploration of the biomimicry paradigm that is likely to pay huge dividends at some point in the future. It’s a long term vision, but Festo seems to be well acquainted with long-term visions for robotics. They’re a regular (and substantial) sponsor for the FIRST Robotics Competition, after all. It should be interesting to see which of the BLN projects make the cut and how they are applied when they do.

Pretty cool stuff! Steve Austin(not the wrestler) would be proud!
The bird is a great achievement imo, and maybe will lead to a different way of flight design, including something to enable us to fly like birds, as so many of us have done in dreams. Technologically speaking, it is an exciting time to be alive, and hope fully technology can be one of our saving assets in such a troubled world, that is until the T100 comes around!

Peace,
spec
edit on 30-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I love when my brothers and sisters imitate our father in such a gentlemanly/ladylike way.
S+F for the first video, and thanks for the others, but I don't have time to watch them at this time. Hopefully later.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Dasher

Thanks Dasher
Robotics are really accelerating in their development, interesting times...

spec

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
"Bump" Whoops, who put that there?

2nd

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
That is really fascinating, I've always believed the natural world supplies the best guidance on how humans can improve. It's great to see them finally able to copy something so well.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

True true kro! One of my favorite mimicing of nature is the photosynthesis car:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

And here:www.abovetopsecret.com...
Some more on the subject:www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for the reply...

spec
edit on 31-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
robots is so cool. I just love them.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GalacticAtlantis

Especially flying ones, that do so naturally by mimicking nature!

Peace,
spec

new topics

top topics

join