It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red States, Including the ‘Newly-Reds,’ Excel at Job Growth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

hey i got a question what is minmum wage these days?

my first job was $3.25 an hour hmmmm

I don't know. I think it varies from state to state.

My first job was 10 cents for a shoeshine. Best place to work was in the bars at about 11AM. I once got a $5.00 tip from a guy because I was making money to get my mom a birthday present. and I wasn't even hustling the guy -- it was actually my mom's birthday. That's the day I became a capitalist.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

i looked it up $7.25 and hour

what upsets me about that deal is its the same work our fathers did our grandfathers and theirs but hey this generation is better than the ones that preceeded them which is total crap.

just did a quick inflation calculator and that $3.25 is equivalent to $6.38 in todays dollars.

edit on 30-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

i looked it up $7.25 and hour

what upsets me about that deal is its the same work our fathers did our grandfathers and theirs but hey this generation is better than the ones that preceeded them which is total crap.

just did a quick inflation calculator and that $3.25 is equivalent to $6.38 in todays dollars.

edit on 30-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Maybe so. When I started working in 1978 the min. wage was $2.65. It is equivelant to $9.17 in todays dollars.

Inflation Calculator
If in 1978 (enter year)
I purchased an item for $2.65
then in 2011 (enter year*)
that same item would cost: $9.17
Rate of inflation change: 246%

www.usinflationcalculator.com...

edit on 30-7-2011 by sligtlyskeptical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

seems to me the idea would be to stop devaluing the dollar instead of devaluing the dollar and keep raising the minumum wage that they are putting a band aid on to fix.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

In California, minimum wage is higher:

The California Minimum Wage is $8.00 per hour. The California Minimum Wage is greater then the National Minimum Wage of $7.25 per hour, so employees in California are entitled to the higher minimum wage of $8.00.

Link

Of course, CA is as blue as a state can get:

California’s Legislative Analyst’s Office forecasts a state budget deficit of $25. 4 billion that the Legislature needs to plug before the next fiscal year begins. The LAO’s gloomy budget outlook is blamed in part on a $6 billion shortfall in the current fiscal year. California faces a $20 billion a year deficit through 2015-16.

Deficit

Why would we expect any difference, since CA is a liberal Tax and Spend state?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

that eight bucks sure goes along way in one of those most highest cost of living states there is.

dont you just love those tax and spenders.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

And when you watch their wacko politicians, like Jerry Brown, Barbara Boxer, and Diane Feinstein, look into the camera and try to defend their policies, you know they are truly insane.

One look in their eyes and you know they're unsound.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Originally posted by mishigas

Because it would put the decision on how much to pay and whether someone is willing to work for that wage in the hands of the people, not the hands of the govt. It puts a fixed cost on small business that forces them to employ less people. It raises prices on a pizza and a haircut and every other place it is used.

And worst of all, it gives false expectations to the working class that somehow it will allow them to survive on the minimum wage. They take it to mean a living wage when it isn't.

Why is there a minimum wage? Why not just make it $20/hr so it means something, and people can live on it?

Because it's just a lie used by libs to grab votes from the poor, is why.

Holy crap...

I can't even speak to that. It's like you and I are saying the same things but you say they are good and I'm saying they are bad. At that point, it's just shoulder-angels waxing philosophy. I can't speak to your morals. Sorry.

Please. Explain to me why you think my points are bad. I sincerely want to know your mode of thinking. I am interested in how the other half lives.

Here come the man
With the look in his eye
Fed on nothing
But full of pride
Look at them go
Look at them kick
Makes you wonder how the other half live

INXS

top topics

<< 1   >>

join