It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tea Party is anti-democratic and guilty of abuse of power

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Reply to post by incrediblelousminds

I'm fine with cutting defense spending, closing corporate tax loopholes, cutting ag subsidies, shutting down no bid contracts.

I'm fine with cutting a whole lot out of Federal government that doesn't belong there. If a stand isn't made now on out of control spending, when will a stand be made?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finalized
Reply to post by incrediblelousminds

I'm fine with cutting defense spending, closing corporate tax loopholes, cutting ag subsidies, shutting down no bid contracts.

Well, then you should note that the 'tea party' are not suggesting any of that. In fact, the only 'party' that comes close to those cuts are the Dems. Although many in the party are as beholden to the MIC as the majority of Republicans.

I'm fine with cutting a whole lot out of Federal government that doesn't belong there. If a stand isn't made now on out of control spending, when will a stand be made?

Not raising the debt ceiling is not a stand against spending, any more than burning down your house is a way to deal with cracks in the foundation.

In fact, 'not raising the debt ceiling' is a great way for the Republicans to NOT address ACTUAL SPENDING. If the so-called 'tea party' (Republicans, all of them) were concerned about spending, they would be addressing spending. Instead, they are taking part in the DC sleight of hand that shifts the focus away from spending cuts, and into a 'its their fault/no it's their fault' conversation that is designed to make sure neither 'side' addresses actual, substantive spending cuts.

When will the tea party address substantive cuts to spending?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 30-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
My big question is what is the point of a Debt Limit if you just keep raising it?

Just a way to make people feel warm and fuzzy.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

All you no-regulations/no government/no laws types:

How would you feel if Joe & Mary got horny at the mall and screwed in the fountain? And Hary and Larry got so turned on, they had to get busy, too?

All of a sudden we need rules and regs?

With the free and unregulated internet, I would try to be the first to upload to youtube. But really, you have to accept some bad just to be unfettered by government and there is always the state government. Tea Party is all about gutting the federal government and returning the states rightful power.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

What pure drivel.

The tea party was founded because people were tired of the same old left / right rhetoric - some people realized that both parties are one in the same. I for one am glad that some believe in true fiscal responsibility. Do not raise the debt ceiling, let this illusion fall apart already.

Does OP and the rest of you think that raising the debt ceiling will curb the government spending? Do you think they will actually cut anything - or will the spending spree go on until the rest of the world FINALLY gets tired of paying for the US debt.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Bramble Iceshimmer

The idea, going back to pre Civil War state sovereignty, looks good on paper, but...

Some of the states can't handle the responsibility. California for instance.

Sure Texas and Lousiana would be fine, but most of the US is not like Texas.

We need to look at the problems facing the nation in a practical and not an idealistic manner. Idealism not tempered by realism is fanaticism, which will only result in making things worse.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

We let the "illusion" collapse down here and tons of illegals from the US will be swarming Ontario looking for food and work. I hope you guys up north are ready for the mess that will ensue if the wizards' curtains fall.
edit on 30/7/11 by MikeboydUS because: for

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

If the UN has any play in a one world government, its all yours to keep..

A one world government needs to be democratic and the rights of the individual protected. The UN represents neither.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Its going to happen regardless - and some of us have seen what is in store when the illusion collapses and have prepared for it. Printing money and increasing your debt to solve a fiscal problem is INSANE. When I spent all my savings, used up all my credit - I go without, time for the US government to do the same. I guess it depends on if the states does it on its own or it is forced upon them when the globe cuts your credit card.

I do understand when the states fall, it takes the rest of us with it. It just amazes me that some of you think that the world would tolerate ever increasing spending.....it is going to end sometime, and perhaps that sometime is closer then you think.

edit on 30-7-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

There have been rumors of illegals jumping the border back to Mexico because unemployment is supposed to be lesser there.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Remember the Great Obama ever immortatl words....

Elections Have Consequences......

Yes they do. Thank you Nov 2010 elections.

Mr. Obama- Prepare to suffer the Consequence of you actions.. or rather.. Inacitons.

You Sir... Are a Disgrace....

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe that the people voted in 85 tea party congress members but they only represent 1% of the population.

And for holding democracy hostage to get there way? That is exactly what the democrats did for the last 3 years since they got Obama elected and had the majority in the house and senate.

They spent us into a hole, now we're using the tea party as the number one reason this country is about to go to hell?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

One thing that no one, especially on ATS, seems to understand about spending and the financial system in general is that its all based on belief.

This means ultimately the spending, the debt, value, etc. is all based on confidence and faith.

The numbers are essentially meaningless, all that really matters is standards of living. As long as people can afford certains levels of living standards it doesn't matter what the debt, the dollar's value or national spending is.

The fiat system is abstract.

This means if managed properly, as in maintaining people's faith and confidence in the system, it can be used indefinitely. Every action in regards to the system, such as reform, is about maintaining public faith and confidence.

The problem we have is people trying to equate or compare the system with commodity based systems. This confusion has caused people to misunderstand the system, which is prevalent on ATS and in the Tea Party.

What this boils down to is that we can have as much debt and spend as much as public faith will allow. When people lose faith in the system it becomes a major problem. If it crashes due to confusion and ignorance, it will not be some apocalyptic survivalist wet dream. Human desire for order and security is too great, especially in the First World.

Historically, when these kind of crises arise, it results normally in authoritarian or totalitarian governments. People wanting to crash the system, have no idea what kind of hell or horrors will be unleashed when people begin to demand order. People think the US government is bad now, if we go like the Weimar Republic, God help us and the planet, because we could end up making the Third Reich look like girl scouts. I'm pretty sure Canada would be our Austria.

Simply put, crashing the system is not the answer. Gradual reform that maintains public faith is the way to go. As long as they think the system is fine, the system will be fine. If we keep dealing with idealistic absolutes it will cause harm. We have to get away from that and deal in practical realities. That or remove all emotion from paranoid and panic prone humans.
edit on 30/7/11 by MikeboydUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Never abused the system? They abused the system so much it is not even recognizable. We are in this mess because over the years the Democrats have spent the nation into the poorhouse. You can only buy so many votes with welfare, handouts and pork barrel projects before the system collapses.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Get over it...I didnt see any whining from the left when pelousy and obawmba had a majority and rammed thru obawmba-care,who then went on to grant exceptions to their buddies....give someone else a little power and the leftists start whailing and knashing their teeth...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg
Get over it...I didnt see any whining from the left when pelousy and obawmba had a majority and rammed thru obawmba-care,who then went on to grant exceptions to their buddies....give someone else a little power and the leftists start whailing and knashing their teeth...

Exactly right.

The Tea Party is staying true to their stated beliefs, nothing more, nothing less.

The US is not in need of more credit. It is in need of less spending to resolve the shortfall. Simple solution is close down the all the stupid wars we are involved in, bring the soldiers home and put them to work on repairing the crumbling infrastructure here at home.
edit on 30-7-2011 by romanmel because: typos

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

Dont forget closing the Dept of Energy(founded to rid us of dependence on foreign oil..we know how well they do their job),and the Dept of Education...(that one speaks for itself...)lots of money savings there too

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker46
reply to post by SeventhSeal

with the exception of performing abortions, all the above services are provided by local (State) health departments in every county in my state, payed for by taxpayers. why should my tax dollars be spent on duplicate programs at twice the cost and adding to the burden of the federal budget. one of many examples of poor allocation of tax dollars for duplicate programs that should be eliminated. What about Acorn??? need I say more. Corruption using tax payers money. By the way the gov. has no money of its own. consumers (taxpayers) pay for it all.

Planned Parenthood provides basic health care needs for those without health insurance along with needs for sexual health care. Taxpayer's money is being spent on helping Americans. Don't be so selfish.

If we really want to talk about spending....

There are a few countries we're currently occupying costing us billions of dollars. Maybe we should complain about that instead of money being spent for HEALTH CARE of Americans.
edit on 30-7-2011 by SeventhSeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Democracy is a failure. Long live the republic, and those who uphold the rule of law. I see no ill of the Tea Party,

Let democracy burn, it's the worse form of government.

The American form of government, as it is now, is inherently unamerican. Let it die.
edit on 30-7-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join