It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello to People Under 35, Some Old People Appreciate You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I turn 52 this year, I have three children, ages 22 to 28. I have multiple friends between the ages of 26 and 33. Sorry that life can suck. Sometimes I get e-mails from people talking about what you don't know, about what they remember. How can I expect you to know our lives, I cannot. I don't care that you never used a dial phone, it is not that great an achievement to use one. You can use smart phones and get all types of useful information from them, many of us (not me) cannot get our DVD players or microwaves set to the right time.

We created technologies that we cannot use and you can. That is what the past always does for the future, we create the wheel and you create a chariot and someone else creates a car. That is human evolution, not our bodies, not our understanding, our knowledge builds on each other, our understanding is what evolves because our predecessors have already figured some things out. How boring would it be if the people the past had all the answers and there were none left for you to figure out?

When I was 9, the hippies would say "Never trust anyone over 30". I was 8 and not good with what they said. I watched them turn 30 and change their minds on that matter. We cannot focus on other generations and their failings, we can only focus on what we can do. I became aware of the threat of globalism from people in their 20s. It is people under 35 that keep me aware of what technology is promising in the future and it's dangers. Hello people under 35, there are still people paying attention and you will be at the forefront of this knowledge, be careful how you use it and hurt nobody, only expose them. Take care and be well.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Excellent post.

Funny you should say that tho.. My two closest, and best friends are twice my age.. One 62, the other is 73.

They're fun to talk to, I learn all sorts of neat things, and the conversations are always most stimulating..

The guys my age are too busy talking about xbox and the latest girl. Not saying this is all they talk about, but the deeper, more complex things, they just sort of glaze over..

The young learn from the old, and the old can learn from the young. Pity on those that cannot understand.

Thanks for the OP.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

Dear Cygnis,

Thank you for your kind words. I spend a lot of time with those who are younger than me and I learn from them all the time. They tell me that I am there mentor, I am just an old guy who learned a couple of things, gosh, I would hate to think I went through life and didn't learn anything. There are people who keep pushing humanity forward in every generation, keep it moving and that means those who preceeded you did their job. Be well.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Thank you for the post, I must say that some of the most stimulating conversations I've had has been with those around 30 to 35. Lifes kicked em around a bit and like me decided it was best to shut up and listen sometimes. I'm in the 36-45 group so I see the best of both worlds more often then not

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

Dear NuroSlam,

I often wonder about your generation also. You guys kind of had big jumps (tech) and then big losses. Sorry, it just kind of happens. For what it is worth, nobody gets a free ride and we all get stretched, fear is the enemy, success occurs only when one has hope.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Now if we could only get all the age groups to intermingle.

That would help out a lot of things, I believe..

I fall in the 30-35 age group.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Thanks for the kind words...its good that you understand.that we are not all like we stereotyped to be... Some of us actually have interlect and actually care about what is happening in the world.. thanks again

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Lightbringer38

Dear Lightbringer38,

And people my age are not their stereotypes either. None of us are.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
thanks and you too are appreciated but you are not old to me. Im 32 and you are my mothers age
that isn't old.

My roommate is twice my age and he cracks me up with the computer. He can only check his email and that is it. He doesn't get text messaging, FB and being on the internet. He is always asking me why I do FB or why I text when I can just pick up the phone and call. I did actually teach him how to text from his phone though

We also see things different when it comes to relationships. He is more fatherly towards me you could say when it comes to relationships. We also have different views, values and morals when it comes to relationships. Believe it or not I am more old fashioned than he is lol.

Nice thread and thanks to you too!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Good thread

by the way, i hate smart phones so much...nearly everbody got 1. stupid trends ^^
Iam 24

edit on 30-7-2011 by Anunaki2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Pity is they all don't appreciate you or when you turned up missing someone might care enough to go look for you or wonder what happened to you.
If they all appreciated you, you might have rights and be protected even within your own family if that needs be.
If they all appreciated you, HEADSTART would not be an issue, they would not be removing recess, gym and play time in schools and removing your "friendly" social and interactive skills. You might still have music, art and gym classes in all the schools.
If they all appreciated you, they'd teach you about your body and sexuality before you had to learn it from a stranger.
If they all appreciated you, you might be protected from Priests, and bullies in school.

If they all appreciated you, you might not get shot so often in the street or abducted in broad daylight.
If they all appreciated you, they might not be pushing legal drugs on every available space while telling you to stay away from them.
If they all appreciated you, they might not advertize like beer, booze and butts are the greatest things you can aspire to desire.
If they all appreciated you, you could drink at the same age you can die for your country.
If they all appreciated you, they might see you can still get the education you deserve and at prices you can afford.
If they all appreciated you, you could afford to go to college.
If they all appreciated you, they would not be laying waste to the natural resources and wildlife on your planet.
If they all appreciated you, they might leave you some oxygen and clean water for your grand kids.

If they all appreciated you, you would have more people on board and fighting for these things for you every single day.

I love the OP's post.

It is wonderful but you have to see, dear children and our only hope,
where you are being taken for granted.

Be yourselves and never let anyone tell you what to think. But you should also feel free to DEMAND responsibility, compassion, excellence and absolutely equal treatment from the rest of us.
It is your inheritance. It is your right.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Thank you. And we appreciate those before us also. I've been lucky that I've had a lot of experiences in my life that allow me to relate to nearly everyone I meet - and when I can't relate entirely, I'm still learning from their experiences. Many of my "elders" have told me I'm wise beyond my years, and an old soul. Really it's because I listen to those that have come before me, and after me. So, thank you in return for passing on your knowledge and wisdom to those who love to hear about it.
I'm 28
(and my boyfriend is 42)
edit on 30-7-2011 by CeeRZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anunaki2012
Good thread

by the way, i hate smart phones so much...nearly everbody got 1. stupid trends ^^
Iam 24

edit on 30-7-2011 by Anunaki2012 because: (no reason given)

Not all of it is a trend though... my business is partially run through my iPhone. As a sports massage therapist, being mobile is important. I charge cards, keep SOAP notes, and have an online schedule that I access amongst other things - all through my smart phone. I've used it every single day for my career. Can't really call it a trend when it has actual function.
When a 15 year old is getting a smart phone - that is a trend.

edit on 30-7-2011 by CeeRZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'm 37.

One of the most mature people I ever met in my life was 14.

One of the most immature people I've ever met was 45.

One of the people I had the most in common with was 85.

Therefore I agree.

Age-ism is BS.
Real maturity and intelligence lies in attitude and presentation.
We need to find a way to measure that... thats the test people should have to take before being allowed to log on. DOB doesn't cut it.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Good post. I love being able to converse with my elders, and actually be acknowledged as having a head on my shoulders. The insight I have received from the more "experienced" has been beneficial, but at the same time, it wasn't 'til after I had gone through some kind of tribulation that I would understand really what they were trying to say.

I'm over just over the 30 hill, and attribute a lot of my knowledge and understanding (albeit not a lot in the grand scheme) to those that were kind enough to pass on their wisdom.

top topics

join