It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misleading titles and no research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Why are people allowed to keep threads with entirely false titles - as this one where all the people who read the posted info can clearly see NASA make no such claim?!

NASA elenin thread

Or this
Research anyone?
Where a small amount of research would have shown it to not be true - as well as the video creator to be somewhat of a "crazy" person with other unfounded videos

It seems that there are more and more threads that draw you in and then are just complete garbage - can't the
Mods make the title change once something is proven to be a false claim
And cant people research things properly before posting a thread and it being pulled apart in minutes - just plain lazy.
I wouldn't put a thread up without trying to get some good facts behind it first...Knowing that people will be along to scrutinise your thread and dismiss your claims if they aren't based on some fact...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by facchino

S&F - agree
its confusing to those who are easily confused
sadly, too many are ♥

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Not only false titles, but over the top sensational titles full of capital letters and exclamation marks. It seems a lot of folks are just here to see how many stars and flags they can get.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

I like your rant also - and have added to it...

YouTube users are infecting ATS

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Thank you very much for addressing this matter. I absolutely cannot stand this and it's burning me out. Either people are being lazy or they are intentionally misguiding members because they know there will always be a certain looney toons support base that will S & F them out of sheer ignorance. Most of those never even bother to read a thread that is 26 pages long but debunked within the first 5 posts. It's sickening. Others will S & F it for the sheer fact that they believe it will validate their delusion fantasies on some topic. Again, without reading and of the thread whatsoever. This needs to be addressed somehow.
edit on 30-7-2011 by SpringHeeledJack because: spelling

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SpringHeeledJack

Yes I wish that some action would be taken to weed out the drivel that is posted - it is starti g to make this site look like some nutjob site such as GLP etc...real shame because some threads I have read have had some phenomenal amount of research put into them...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by facchino
Why are people allowed to keep threads with entirely false titles - as this one where all the people who read the posted info can clearly see NASA make no such claim?!

NASA elenin thread

Or this
Research anyone?
Where a small amount of research would have shown it to not be true - as well as the video creator to be somewhat of a "crazy" person with other unfounded videos

I love how the OP says "someone please research." Um isn't that THEIR job and isn't that what you do when posting?

I have noticed LAZY posters lately and it is really annoying. I can't count the times i have clicked into a thread where it's a line and a link or a couple lines and a link yet NOTHING about what they are talking about. It takes 5mins to put together a small thread with outside sources and excerpts from whatever article you are using. It seems people want to post like it's a FB feed and it annoys me because if I wanted that I'd go to my FB! I alert threads I see that are set up this way but sometimes I feel like im being annoying but it is ANNOYING to click a thread title only for it to be complete an utter crap. Nice catchy title and nothing else! It seems many OP's now want everyone else to do their research and thread.....AHHHH!!

It seems that there are more and more threads that draw you in and then are just complete garbage - can't the
Mods make the title change once something is proven to be a false claim
And cant people research things properly before posting a thread and it being pulled apart in minutes - just plain lazy.

Personally I think you should be post banned for a month if you post misleading titles!! I can't stand people who post titles like that.

No people don't want to research, they are lazy. They want to present it here and have everyone else do it for them and then get their silly stars and flags....which people should really stop striving for, it should be the quality of the thread not how many damn stars and flags you can get.

The biggest annoyance for me is people who post this catchy title and then their OP is a couple lines and a link, with NO external quotes from the article and nothing about what their thread is really about. I can't remember which one but I opened one the other day and it was literally something like, "Wow I can't believe this." and a few other lines and I was like WTH are you talking about yet it was flagged and had 3 pages. I couldnt understand why.

I get your rant believe me I do!!

I have been thinking the same thing lately. I didn't have my computer for a month and when I got back on I noticed this had not changed. People say it is because school is out and I do not believe that because it was like this before when school was in. ATS has become more and more popular which means more members signing up daily which also means more morons signing up daily...I have just learned to ignore them. If it's a good thread idea I will subscribe and get to it at another time but mostly if I open a thread and it's one you have described I go right back to recent posts.

S&F for you because I liked your rant

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ginga
Not only false titles, but over the top sensational titles full of capital letters and exclamation marks. It seems a lot of folks are just here to see how many stars and flags they can get.

I agree!

Also MODS please for the love of the grammar and spelling gods when there is a spelling or grammar error in a thread title can it PLEASE be changed. It looks so bad to have a good thread title but have it completely spelled or worded wrong to where you can't figure out what the OP Is even talking about.

THanks

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Personally I think you should be post banned for a month if you post misleading titles!! I can't stand people who post titles like that.

This point you make ^^^^^ should definitely happen.
Perhaps it will increase the quality of threads if people knew posting such garbage meant they couldn't post for a month...
Wonder if that would ever happen.
Maybe its a case of reporting threads that breach T&Cs more often, as I am sure that by doing what I have said it does breach what people are meant to do...

join