It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there GPS on our phones?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CryHavoc

The newer ones do, any phone or smart phone have them install, AT&T for a small fee can track your kids, wife, or husband to the front door, Girl friends beware.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
If someone can call a telephone number, and ONLY YOUR cell phone rings, anywhere in the Country, then it can obviously, and MUST obviously, be tracked to its exact location. considering that GPS = Global Positioning System, I'd think it's safe to say that by receiving a telephone call, your Global Position has been traced to it's exact location.

If a provider can router your incoming cal directly to YOUR specific cellphone, then it is VERY possible for someone to use the preexisting infrastructure to locate anyone one cellular device. Considering each cell phone has it's own I.P. address to access whatever network, and I am mostly certain (but not 100% sure) that each phone has a unique MNID number, which is used to activate your unique cellular device.

My point is, all the infrastructure that identifies your cellular device as a unique device contains the capability to locate your unique device using the same methods used to route a call or text message to your phone. Thus, EVERY cellular device is CAPABLE of being traced to it's GPS location.

The only question there really would be is the phone traceable before it is activated?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vortiki
If someone can call a telephone number, and ONLY YOUR cell phone rings, anywhere in the Country, then it can obviously, and MUST obviously, be tracked to its exact location. considering that GPS = Global Positioning System, I'd think it's safe to say that by receiving a telephone call, your Global Position has been traced to it's exact location.
Nonsense.

The theoretical maximum range of a cell phone tower can be up to 50 miles, depending on terrain and other obstructions. And that would be radius. So IF you were in a location that was only being covered by one tower, you could be anywhere in a πr^2 = 7853.98163397448 square mile area.

Even if it pinged the timing of the distance from the tower to your phone and back, it would at best have you on the 2πr circumference of your distance from the antenna.

So much for being tracked to your exact location.

Of course, more often than not, your phone will be in contact with more than one tower at once, with a certain amount of overlap. The strength of those different signals (along with potentially some timing information) can narrow down your location, but still probably only within a half mile of your actual location.

Whereas GPS can usually get you within 50 feet or smaller. (Particularly military GPS, which is higher resolution.)
edit on 2011.8.4 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join