It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there GPS on our phones?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone remembers back more than 10 years ago before there was GPS on everyone's cell phone.

And then what happened was that "The News" started reporting women being carjacked and locked in the trunk of their car. The women would call the Police on their cell phones and not know where they were. And the Police couldn't find them until it was too late and they were found dead. I remember this happening a number of times on "The News". And then "The News" said that because of that specific situation, all cell phones from then on would be equipped with GPS transmitters. And the carjackings almost immediately stopped (or stopped being reported).

So, now everyone has a GPS transmitter on their phone, supposedly to keep us all safe.

Now, along comes 2008 and I'm driving down the highway in Indiana in my truck. I start having chest pains and pull off to the side of the road. I call 911. Dispatcher answers and asks me where I am. I tell her I don't see a mile marker sign and ask her "can't you just track the GPS from my cell phone?"

Her exact response was:

"We can't do that."

Really.

Well, I did finally make it to the hospital. I'm good now and my blood pressure is a lot lower.

But that whole thing left me wondering: why is there GPS on our phones if a 911 Dispatcher wasn't allowed to access it to help someone in an emergency?

The whole reason for putting it on phones to begin with was for emergency services.

You can let your friends track you all over town (there's an App for that!), and who knows if your "friend' is even trustworthy enough not to stalk you (or give the tracking info to someone who is stalking you), but emergency services can't find you in an emergency?

That's pretty messed up.

On the other hand, the FBI is getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar by putting GPS tracking devices on people's cars without a Warrant.

I've gotten absolutely no use from having a GPS transmitter on my phone. It's worthless to me.

So, is cell phone GPS just for hackers who are also stalkers, the Russian Mob (which probably picked up a ton of former KGB Agents after the fall of the Soviet Union), and Police/Federal Agents that are either corrupt or have such little common sense that a 9th Circuit Court Judge has to explain to them what the 4th Amendment is?

Why is this crap on our phones?

Can somebody tell me?
edit on 30-7-2011 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CryHavoc
And then "The News" said that because of that specific situation, all cell phones from then on would be equipped with GPS transmitters. And the carjackings almost immediately stopped (or stopped being reported).

So, now everyone has a GPS transmitter on their phone, supposedly to keep us all safe.

That is just a urban myth, mobile phones do NOT all have GPS's in them.... just read the specifications for your phone.

Her exact response was: "We can't do that."

Why do you think they could do that?

But that whole thing left me wondering: why is there GPS on our phones

There is NOT a GPS on all mobile phones

Why is this crap on our phones?

Can somebody tell me?

There is not!

Which mobile phone model do you own?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
"Why is this crap on our phones? Can somebody tell me?" Well, it's to help those who have to stop and ask for directions. *Using a paper map is such a hassle sometimes and that's where the "navigation" on the phone helps.
edit on 2011-7-30 by pikypiky because: To correct "food for thoughts".

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
OP is right. I have not had a phone in a decade that did not have GPS. Sorry for your troubles, but you are right. Whats the point other words?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Every cell phone I've owned for as long as I can remember had GPS. All of them had the option to turn it off but it isn't actually off. It's off is (911 Only).

I've been unlucky enough to have had to call 911 twice lately. The first time there was some confusion and some of the responders had trouble finding the location. The police were on scene first. They arrived within a very short time, probably 3 minutes. In fact I as still on the phone with 911. Next came the FD rescue team. The ambulance came last. They were the ones who got confused. Their dispatcher actually called me to try to get directions again.

Only legit reason I can think of for GPS is getting the 911 call to the right call center. 911 is the national standard. Anyone can dial 911 and get emergency dispatch. Only problem is that cell phones can move anywhere in the country. There has to be a way for a cell phone from Florida to simply dial 911 in California and get the right dispatcher. GPS is the only way.

One more thing. Cell phones probably don't actually use GPS. They get location information from the cell tower that they're connected to. Further accuracy can be achieved by triangulation between several towers.
edit on 30-7-2011 by LazyGuy because: added more info.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoor
There is NOT a GPS on all mobile phones

You're wrong.

At the end of 2005, all cell phone carriers were required to provide the ability to trace cell phone calls to a location within 100 meters or less.

This is an FCC requirement for ALL commercial cell phones.

To comply with FCC requirements, cell phone carriers decided to integrate GPS technology into cell phone handsets, rather than overhaul the tower network.

edit on 30-7-2011 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
read the damn specs on your phone

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Make a fake 911 call and see how fast they find you !

Not every small town may be able to track you but major city police can

Also ON STAR can bring you help by gps also

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by CryHavoc

Would you care to provide a source for those quotes? The one regarding GPS in particular, I understand the tracking part.

edit on 7/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ray1850
read the damn specs on your phone

www.nokia.com.au...

nothing at all about GPS....

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Would you care to provide a source for those quotes? The one regarding GPS in particular, I understand the tracking part.

They cannot, the FCC never said they had to have GPS

www.fcc.gov...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Because of the inability for 911 systems to identify / track them when used in emergencies. With the removal of landlines, public safety has to have something in place where if a 911 call does come in, and no one can speak, that they can still get location info to investigate.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Maybe you phone does not have GPS or maybe the 911 call center you got does not have the equipment to do that yet. It seems that few 911 centers have the means to track 911 calls by GPS.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
The ony reason GPS is on your phone is ...

To track you. To see every move you make. Run.. Run like the wind

I gave my phone up years ago.

Best thing I ever did

No cancer in my brain... no.. no no

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I am on my third phone with NO GPS in it whatsoever. I have no idea what the OP is talking about at all. Where does the idea that all cell phones have GPS even come from? My phone would be far more useful if it did. I never heard about all these carjackings. I remember one girl who was taken and killed and her father pushed for a device to help triangulate the signals quite some years back but not this rash of carjackings.

Either way, no GPS on my phone so this thread makes little sense to me.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
OP is right. I have not had a phone in a decade that did not have GPS. Sorry for your troubles, but you are right. Whats the point other words?

Nonsense, show me the phone that you had a decade ago that had integrated GPS.Even better, show me one that had not only integrated GPS, but an actual GPS transmitter as opposed to the GPS receiver only that is in 99.9% of current GPS capable consumer phones.

Which brings me to the point that in actual fact, I can't think of one single telephone on the market today that everyday people use that has a GPS transmitter. If your phone has GPS functionality it is highly likely that all it has a a very weak GPS receiver for navigation and location services only.

What you may be referring to is GPRS. Something that has been a feature of mobile phones for a decade or so that has absolutely nothing to do with GPS at all!

en.wikipedia.org...

And for the record, if there is no GPS receiver or transmitter listed in the specs of your phone it is because it does not have one.
edit on 30-7-2011 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
So you can use it as a GPS device. People who know they are gonna break the law will have enough common sense to not carry a cellphone.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I thought GPS was added to phones for exactly that GPS, to get directions.

I don't use my GPS unless I'm on a road trip, other than that I turn my GPS off. It kills the battery and I dont need GPS on at all times. Honestly it kind of weirds me out

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

This is NOT true. I have two phones that do NOT have GPS on them. They are only a couple years old and from ATT.

My first phone I had to have GPS was my iPhone all my others did not have this feature.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
so I can keep track of you. pick me up some beer, will ya ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join