It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Pacific Garbage Patch - bigger by 25 million tons since March.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Lol, one of the biggest scams around is recycling....here in New York there are whole buildings filled with recyclables that aren't being recycled....
You also have places that produce glass or plastics, since they are in the production of such things, said states will not promote recycling.
There is so much to recycle most of it is just being stockpiled.
Another joke for when you are fined for not recycling- THEY AREN"T DOING IT EITHER.
EDIT

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
reply to post by B.Morrison

What a funny video. Animals eating the crap, just another proof there's no intelligence with animals and they're completely stupid

It's not good to put all this junk out there, but i think at the moment we have a lore more and bigger problems, because so far thise garbage doesn't affect us really.

Why this is funny to you, I don't understand. We destroyed the way of life for the animal kingdom.
And all this waste is like pooping in your bed, and then sleeping in it. If you can't see that, there isn't much hope for you.
edit on 30-7-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
Who cares??
Everyone is too busy worrying about carbon to consider something important like REAL POLLUTION.

Not carbon, silly. Carbon Dioxide. Carbon Dioxide is not benign, and to pretend so only illustrates that you wen to high school in the USA

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It seems tyo me that itwould be duck soup to harvest this trash and recycle it in the bowels of the harvester ship into useable plastic which could be recast into stuff again....
I am certain that immense profits await the maker of the harvester ship, which would pay literally no taxes as it would be in the mid pacific all the time...the raw materiak free as well......bonanza!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I'm not sure about this, but I think with many plastic polymers it is not cost effective to recycle.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
So, I accounted this story to my boyfriend and his 10 year old son. His son's response "Why don't they at least skim off the stuff that floats, put it on a spacecraft and shoot it into the sun or put it far into space?" Such an easy solution for a child to come up with
Too bad it isn't an easy thing to do - jettison our trash to burn up in the sun. I'm sure our trash bills would go up a bit if that were the next solution....
edit on 30-7-2011 by CeeRZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
It is effecting humans..the BPA alone in plastics im sure will and haas already found itsway onto shores and local water supplys.

Yes, it is finding it's way to us, through the seafood we eat.

I've known about this for years, but people seem to not care one bit and I hear "puny humans could in no way harm the planet".

OP Thanks for sharing the new info.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneYouFearIsRight
I think I am seriously on the right track with the melt it/vaporize it idea.
Vaporize it and it is gone.
Melt it, and you can either tow it as a solid or climb on board and surf on the thing.

Yeah,melt and tow I say,
vaporize hmm,lots of dodgy gasses with that one,so I would say no to that idea.
good idea though-if there was a way to super vape stuff so there was only safe gas that would be a peach.
gotta be a way.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

That wouldn't work....Nor could we send it into space....We would prolly have to wait until some kind of fusion or matter re-sequencer type of device can be installed onto a barge, turning the waste into energy...and that won't be invented for a long time.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
All it would take is a couple companies like Apple and Microsoft to fund people in America to clean that crap up.
Would give so many people jobs while helping the Earth at the same time, but obviously I think there is clear intent among the leaders of our species who have control. Allow this to pile up until there is nothing that can be done, just like Africa, just like .......etc...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Wish I could believe that. I think they're just incompetent.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
Use half the material and break down to build a make shift spacecraft to put th other half in and send it to the sun. problem solved?

Forget that, let's go stick a flag in it and claim it! We'll call it Newmerica!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

As long as it is in International Waters,the US will be expected to foot the cleanup bill and we are broke...cant hardly pay the welfare drones monthly food stamp/section 8/Medicaid/disability checks....so it wont get cleaned up and bit*hin about it does no good since no other country is going to pony up...just let it float

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Guys do what we do just bury it.
Out of sight out of mind........

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by muSSang

Why?..plenty more ocean out there to dump in....digging costs money...I live in the South anyway...the Pacfic isnt an issue around here

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I wonder if it would be commercially viable to collect, grind up and use to make road topping or something else? I guess if it were someone would already be doing it. We should have the technology to create a plankton that other critters won't eat that is engineered to break down junk in the ocean. You make different ones that like plastic or rubber or styrofoam or different chemicals.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bramble Iceshimmer

If there was money to be made,it would be long in the works....Id say run ships back and forth thru it,maybe let the Navy train out there,and break it all up...a lot would sink then for sure

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

I've read about this before and i'm sure i read that a few ships would be heading out there to clear it up... i could be wrong...

I bet if it were 250 million pounds floating around in a couple suitcases that it would have been picked up long ago!!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I really do not no what the answer is to clean it up besides barging it and off to landfills or plastic recycling plants.
The size is enormous. While the U.S. is a major contributor to this, I do not think we should shoulder the entire burden. Wouldn't it be wonderful for the UN to finally do something useful like clean this up? The money spent cleaning this up would be better spent than using it for the War on Libya!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Nothing, absolutely nothing will be done about it. At least not yet.
I think the elite will wait until the earth can't handle anymore climate changes and then they will make floating cities. Think about it? There is no proof but i like the idea.

The idea about making an island of recyclables has already been done.

The artifical island was made with 250.000 water bottles, and floated. Unfortunately it got destroyed be a hurricane.

edit on 7/31/2011 by CasperH93 because: More information

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
www.canada.com...

BEFORE the Japanese Tsunami, Canada's scientists were saying the Pacific Salmon are dying....Canada's Government silenced them.

The Pacific Garbage patch could be killed them. Scientists don't know what will happen to life once plastic breaks down to tiny pieces and things eat it/breath it.

I know. DEATH

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join