DEVO - The BEST Band of the 80's, PERIOD.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
OP you totally went to the Denver show did you?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
As much as people disagree or deny the fact, it is still a fact. Metallica was the ruler of the 80's. Nobody #ed with Metallica back in the day. It's a fact. Metallica was the essence of the 80's along with a few other bands but mainly it was Metallica.

If you don't believe me watch this brief from a year before the start of the 90's where they basically were at their maximum glory.

Ladies and Gentleman, I present to you...

SEATTLE '89

All of you just got done.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Some of my favorite songs from Mark this century.

and i think this one is older...but love the rhythm and the buildup...good music...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I first heard DEVO on the Dr. Demento show
the Doctor played Whip it. My ears perked up.
Good musicians with a sense of humor, and an interesting outlook.

I still see Mark Mothersbaugh's name listed in the soundtrack credits of many movies.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Over 100 million records sold worldwide.

I'm sorry but Metallica is hands down the best 80s band.

Devo is cool though.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Metallica was the essence of the 80's along with a few other bands but mainly it was Metallica.

If you don't believe me watch this brief from a year before the start of the 90's where they basically were at their maximum glory.

Funny thing is that they didn't even hit their maximum glory until about 93-94 when touring for the black album. Rumor going around that they have been working on a new album and have been writing with Lou Reed. Should be interesting.

There really is only one way to settle this issue...

The largest bands (that had their START, I'm getting technical) in the 80s:

Metallica

VS.

U2

VS.

Guns N' Roses

Who wins?

edit on 31-7-2011 by olliemc84 because: correction to guns n' roses

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction and Lies were incredible albums - I wasn't a fan of November Rain though - they lost their appeal for me at that point and it didn't surprise me they went completely dormant afterwards (for like 15 years at least, the last album really sucked, Chinese Democracy? EWWWW) - I'm not sure they can win against Metallica, but if we only look at Appetite for Destruction and nothing else, they were serious competition in the hardness factor.

As far as Metallica's height of popularity, EVERYONE knows that the Black album sold so well and got so much notoriety because they began following the "formula" (aka sellout)

I do not judge them on this fact, I adored the Black album, but it is still a fact. I actually call it the Cliche Album because its seriously loaded with cliche's (haha loaded)

The formula I believe goes something like this....
15 seconds before the lyrics start, 1 Verse, 1 Chorus, 2nd Verse, 2nd Chorus, Repeat Chorus, 3rd shortened verse or additional lyrics, repeat Chorus till fade - and fit it all in within 4 to 5 minutes.

All you have to do to see the proof is compare the length of a songs on their previous albums to the Black album.

Black averages 5 minutes
Ride the Lightning averages over 6 minutes
Master of Puppets (my favorite) well over 8 minutes (8 mins 20 seconds if my math is right)
And justice for all averages 8 minutes

The main difference is that the majority of the older songs, had extremely lengthy guitar solos. With some songs even containing 2 lengthy solos.

Its difficult (if not impossible) to get away with that in todays mainstream mindset.

If you look at newer albums, the songs are getting longer again, and that explains why most people are downloading things like Justin Beiber and Lady Gaga, when Metallica is infinitely better.

ETA: No u2, never ever ever - Bono is the Antichrist, I'm convinced - I don't know why, he just is. I've always know it, you can't change my mind
edit on 1-8-2011 by Forevever because: bono

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

As you can tell the 80's were pretty miserable for us Brits.
Some of us like it though.

And I agree wholeheartedly - Bono IS the antichrist.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

And I totally agree!!! Although I didn't recognize the first band

the other 3 absolutely belong on the list of great 80's

how did we even skip the Cure I'll never understand!!!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

I hear you. All bands you listed are great and were very popular. I present some images of Devo throught their history. Influential? More than most would want to acknowledge it seems!

New Traditionalists

CJ

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think DEVO's best stuff was in the 70's.
Same with Gary Numan.

Metallica's first 3 albums are classics, but Venom, Sodom, Bathory, Slayer, Celtic Frost was all better than Metallica anyway.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Metallica simply put is high on the list; although I still feel Maiden is better, both kick it. No disagreement with me on that point.

Devo was revolutionary, and contrary to what many may think, were hard core punk/electronic when they began...their stated philosophies and selling of the "de-evolutiuon" idea were always anti-norm...

Devo and Neil Young

CJ

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Suspira, all excellent videos. Of those, the Cure, imho, can fight Devo for the best band of the 80's. Here are some memories that you have spurred -thank you!

The seminal Cure I learned from some San Diego station while on vacation - maybe 91x?

to your Madness:

I bought this at WaxTrax in Denver when I was in HS..

The dance moves still crack me up on this one...

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I once answered a "guitarist wanted ad " a few or so years ago
the guy was a" Devo buff" I was a new Order , and blues lead guitarist of no standing.
It was an interesting few jam sessions.
Devo were out there but musically?
If they had collaborated with timbre geniuses such as Numan, New Order, Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd,ect they may have become a force, but no they were a political/scientific billboard without a decent vocalist or sense of musical ambience?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Devo - Morning Dew

Devo - Secret Agent Man

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
No mention of Def Leppard? I'm shocked.
All of their albums were great, even the early ones, and they were always great live... AND their drummer has one arm! (since late 1984)

Is there no mention of them because Kid Rock says "Def Leppard sucks!" in Joe Dirt??

Man that's low! Screw "Kid Rock"!
edit on 4-8-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

No. Couldn't due to Dad obligations. My brother got me some gear - said it rocked.

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Thanks for those Hellmutt - strangely morning dew is one of Devo's songs I am least familiar with...thanks for posting! I always liked their interpretations of others music. Hard to put a finger on it other than it was done like no one else...

CJ

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
first, i definitely agree with the threads topic and i just found this so i wanted to share..

"Devo releases snarky single mocking Romney"

read articular and listen to the song here..

"The Cricket Salt Lake City Tribune"

sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsmoviecricket/54709675-66/seamus-song-romney-devo.html.csp

listen at Soundclod here..

soundcloud.com/orchardmktg/devo-dont-roof-rack-me-bro

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
No mention of Def Leppard? I'm shocked.
All of their albums were great, even the early ones, and they were always great live... AND their drummer has one arm! (since late 1984)

Is there no mention of them because Kid Rock says "Def Leppard sucks!" in Joe Dirt??

Man that's low! Screw "Kid Rock"!
edit on 4-8-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

You ever hear the joke "What's got nine arms and sucks?":-)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join