It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEVO - The BEST Band of the 80's, PERIOD.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

In later years, Neil Young would ask the band to work with him, while Kurt Cobain said: “Of all the bands who came from the underground and actually made it in the mainstream, Devo are the most challenging and subversive of all.”

“Richard Branson flew Bob 2 [guitarist and keyboardist Bob Casale] and me down to Jamaica and he had Johnny Rotten with him,” he recalls, matter-of-factly. Sex Pistols had just broken up and he said Johnny Rotten wanted to join Devo. “If we said he could join the band then we were going to go down on the beach immediately and announce it to the NME and Sounds and Melody Maker who he had flown in for the occasion.

Devo is Big

Devo caught the attention of David Bowie and Iggy Pop, who championed the band and enabled Devo to secure a recording contract with Warner Bros. Records. After Bowie backed out due to previous commitments, their first album, Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! was produced by Brian Eno and featured re-recordings of their previous singles Mongoloid and (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, their cover version of the Rolling Stones classic. On October 14, 1978, Devo gained national exposure with an appearance on Saturday Night Live, a week after the Rolling Stones, performing "Satisfaction" and "Jocko Homo."

Devo was awarded the first-ever Moog Innovator Award on October 29, 2010 during MoogFest 2010 in Asheville, North Carolina. The Moog Innovator Award "celebrates pioneering artists whose genre-defying work exemplifies the bold, innovative spirit of Bob Moog."

DEVO

Flame it. Bake it on an open pit/spit, whatever. Lambaste, seize the opportunity to get angry and respond.
It will be funny though, as anyone worth their salt knows the truth. It may hurt for some of the less "geek" crowd. That's cool. I know all about Def Leopard. Rock on brothas'. But the test of time has been good to the de-evolution crowd. Check out a sampling and give me your thoughts. In the end, only Devo rules. The sad part about writing this thread is that I know it is an impossible proposition. Listen, and be schooled on the true state of where we are now...

VERY relavant today: Please keep FREEDOM of CHOICE alive:

I don't know, five years ahead at this point?

One of the best songs of the 80's or any decade...

Most don't know how punk devo is:

Please post vids, ideas, thoughts. Ha! We're ALL Devo!

ColoradoJens

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Devo is cool....I dunno about the best though....lol.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm sorry but no.

Metallica was the best band in the 80's.

PERIOD!

edit on 29-7-2011 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2011 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I'd rather listen to my junk old washing machine struggle through a cycle than Devo.

But I guess they had a pretty big fan base,different strokes for different folks, I suppose

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Metallica? Lol. How about Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, R.E.M., gah- the list goes on and on....I would say with certainty, today's bands don't hold a candle to that decade.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustinSee
Metallica? Lol. How about Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, R.E.M., gah- the list goes on and on....I would say with certainty, today's bands don't hold a candle to that decade.

Well thats just my opinion. There was a lot of great music in the 80s and yes, todays music is mainly garbage. I'm sure I can list a few bands that were better then Devo at least.

The Police
Genesis
U2
Van Halen
Guns & Roses
The Cure
Journey
Bon Jovi
INXS
Judas Priest
RUSH
The Clash
Motley Crue

and on and on and on...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

I'm with Ollie - how can anyone pick just ONE from the plethora of awesomeness that came out of the 80's!!!!???

I disagree that today's music is garbage though.. I can't think of a good one right now.... give me a minute....
edit on 29-7-2011 by Forevever because:

important to note that my failure to name one right now comes from the fact that I have no idea whats out right now - even if its in my collection - cause seriously - I haven't listened to a radio in about 12 years - I'm sure some of the music I like is current - I get it through word of mouth
edit on 29-7-2011 by Forevever because: I edited

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b26879298157.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Forever, thanks for giving it a minute...just think of all the awesome bands there were...who is still on tour and kicking? DEVO. Who overtook Danny Elfman as the best movie/tv score writer ever? M Mothersbaugh of Devo. Who played and made videos with Neil Young? Devo. DEVO!!

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
When you're talking 80's Devo is hard to top. They really defined the era. What song is more 80's than "Whip It"?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by spaceg0at

I would say they had four or five meaningful songs. The rest is now silly. They don't withstand the test of time like DEVO. I agree they were rocking.

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
ohhhhhh Avenged Sevenfold!!!!

and I'm sorry but this song by Amy Winehouse is also awesome!

oh and I'm pretty sure this is new too ♥

and almost anything by Flyleaf

I agree with the guy above me though, when it comes to 80's
YOU CAN'T BEAT VAN HALEN!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Devo is cool....I dunno about the best though....lol.

Thanks JustinSee...watch all again and start to learn the overall picture is amazing!

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

You made a point for a few amazing bands of the 80's there...I still go back to the now who is popular category!

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I'm not downing Devo

but Metallica been alive and kicking way longer, and way awesomer (just the facts ma'am)

One thing better about today than the 80's - MORE METAL CHICKS!!!!

all we had in the 80's was Vixen!!!!

Important to note, we weren't sure if they were male or female till they started singing

they looked just like poison

edit on 29-7-2011 by Forevever because: poison

edit on 29-7-2011 by Forevever because: link correction

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Thanks for that backup dbates! They DID define an era...they saw where it was going and led it there...very successful business men too! Thanks for Whip It! as it is a great song, but I still like giving the unknown to those who think they know. Appreciate it all the same and we're all DEVO!!

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Only Maiden was better than Mettalica, IMHO...

Still love Battery no matter what too...

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
What about Daniel Johnston? Klaus Nomi? All the great strange underground artists are always better than the mainstream ones. "Walking the Cow".....!!!!!
(I did have some Metaliica albums back in the day...I threw'em out later because I noticed how lame they became...lol)
edit on 29-7-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

ok ABSOLUTELY NO argument from me on the Maiden point
Rock On!!!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

What about Daniel Johnston? Klaus Nomi? All the great strange underground artists are always better than the mainstream ones. "Walking the Cow".....!!!!!
(I did have some Metaliica albums back in the day...I threw'em out later because I noticed how lame they became...lol)
edit on 29-7-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

Only thing is that all the bands you mentioned do not have the overall lasting power...I love them though...

Klaus was on URRGH A MUSIC WAR! My first introduction anyway...only so good imho...

CJ

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join