It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your mom was right

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
My mom used to tell me the same thing.

I can spot a troll or disinfo agent a mile away (figuratively, of course). They have this tone to them that completely disrupts an otherwise interesting thread. I can ignore them, true, but someone always has to stoop to their level and respond.

I often don't comment on a thread because it has devolved in such a manner. I'll read it, but see no reason to join in the trolling.

I also comment on threads I find to be interesting, regardless of the posters. It's the thread that counts. There will always be #$%holes around.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisturbedToo
reply to post by Forevever

You're just a doo doo head!
NO im JK very nice....i feel the same way...S+F for you

And you ate all of the cheese !

But you did great work, helping to find a missing Belle !

Keep up the good work, and by the way " Beans don't mean Heinz "

P.S. My mother always used to say " who are you ? "
edit on 1-8-2011 by Qwenn because: spelling

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I have to say I do not always agree with Forevever’s posts. In fact I think there are a few times I have even thought OMG this can’t be real! However I have always loved (his/her?) posts. I always find myself laughing and thinking to myself “Here is a person who really understands life,” and then I notice it is Forevever and say “Ah right it is always this sparkly avatar.”

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by byeluvolk

Her

And thank you - I always take it as the highest compliment when someone who disagrees with me, still thinks I have a clue.

Much love ♥

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Thank you for that! I am fairly new, and have started only one thread in the ATS forums. The rest were BTS. Anyway, I had something very frightening happen to me, and I got about 50/50 in helpful responses. The rest were people wanting to pick a fight with me.

I received numerous U2U messages that were so unkind and called me stupid and a fear mongerer.

I came to ATS because I know the world isnt the way it should be, and I wanted to exchange ideas and LEARN from others. I am learning so much, but, there are times I just am made to feel stupid.

I think everyone should take a step back and remember what it is like to post a thread, do your best research, phrase everything just so, and of course to spell everything correctly, and what it feels like to wait for responses and hope someone has an answer or suggestion to your thread or can lead you in the right direction to get answers.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

I saw that thread - interesting what happened to you, I didn't know what to make of it. I believe you that it happened, I have no reason to doubt, but without anything of value to add to it.. I thought it best to refrain from posting.

It is a good example of what I was trying to say.

It seems to me that there's a majority who post, just for the sake of posting. They have to get their 2 cents in. In my mind, they don't want to get an "OT" sticker or say what the last guy said "word for word" - so they make a joke or pick a fight.

I'm thinking the best solution would be to incorporate "poll topics" - so that people who don't agree can just click a check box and move on - instead of disrespecting the OP with patronizing comments, or picking a fight that is completely OT.

Or like... the mars rock thread - where we end up with a dozen or more posts (and its only a 4 page thread at that point) with a two line post that translates into "its a rock"

Gee... thanks.... we never knew.... ugh!

Star for you! and adding an extra one to your thread for your bravery in facing the masses

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I have learned one thing from my thread experience, and that is maybe in the future I should incorporate what I thought happened and then provide some research backing it up instead of leaving it open. I dont really know what if anything happened, I just know it was creepy and scared me. I was hoping someone on here could shed some light but it went downhill pretty quick.

I am learning alot, I read a lot of your posts and those of others and I am learning what a good thread looks like and should have and how to respond to trolls. I basically use the principles my mom taught me- lol- dont stoop to their level and dont take it personally.

I want to add after I sent a private message to the one who attacked me the most he apologized. I think he was teasing with his posts but there is a time and place for that. The internet , email, texts leave so much open to speculation that it is truly an art form that has to be learned.

Hugs and thank you Forever!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by k21968

I have learned to ignore the petty putdowns, however I have been known to use them myself sometimes, hopefully not to deliberatly upset anyone. We should learn to play nicely togeather, after all we are all still children in our hearts and minds, but with the experience of the years to help us realise that words really can cause harm to others. Would you rather want to make another person happy or upset them for the sake of it, I know which one I would choose. So I hope you can find some answers to your missing time, it must be very frustrating. I must say that the only missing time I have ever experienced is when trying to watch the movie Independence Day, I have tried about half a dozen times through the years and never last beyond about the first hour.

Don't be scared to speak out on here, and remember, the bullies can be seen by others for what they are, and any bully that tries to do it via a u2u, should have their message directly redirected to a Moderator !

Oh and just to keep on topic, I have remembered another thing which my mum said to me, she said, people are just the tools to do Gods bidding, I replied, am I a tool, she said " yes dear, I'm afraid you are, never mind " !
edit on 4-8-2011 by Qwenn because: spelling

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Qwenn

I've encountered so many freaking trolls in the last 2 days I feel like they almost have me convinced that I am one......

is this the new troll tactic? convince the non-trolls that they are trolls?

and when did having a different opinion become trolling? I thought trolling was deliberate insults and one liners.....

they're turning it into an entirely new artform I swear....

reaffirmation of why I hate people in general - they're all the same - no matter where you go ::sigh::

you guys are ok though
just venting

I'm making this my permanent rant thread

My mother always told me no good deed goes unpunished.... maybe I should turn into a troll.....

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
reply to post by Qwenn

My mother always told me no good deed goes unpunished.... maybe I should turn into a troll.....

Turn into one ?

I thought you were one already

edit on 4-8-2011 by Qwenn because: spelling from a silly keyboard

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Qwenn

PHAIL!!!!!!

You're lucky I like you

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Yes you are cool as well !