It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your mom was right

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Your mom was right when she told you
If you don't have anything nice to say, then you shouldn't say anything at all.

I'll keep this short because I realize we're all suffering from a technologically induced form of A.D.D.

But seriously, why do you even go into a thread if you know from the title that you're not going to like the content? Why do I have to sort through 10 posts full of insults to read the 10 good posts (and I'm just trying to be fair on that 50/50 ratio, when often I find it more like 80/20) on every single page of a thread? Its people like you who make the rest of us yearn for an ignore feature. You think calling someone names is going to make them change their mind? Then you're the one resembling your comment.

And you KNOW who you are.

You're the one who slings puerile insults because you have nothing else to add, in hopes that the other people who got a laugh out of it, will give you a star.

I'm done
I feel better.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

God I hope my mom wasn't right.... if she was I should be going blind any moment now!!!!

I hear ya and I get trolled all the time too... don't let it bug ya... remember their doing to get a rise out of you and if you sink to their level they win

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

You're just a doo doo head!
NO im JK very nice....i feel the same way...S+F for you

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Thanks for making this thread it reminded me I haven't eaten yet today lol! I thought your title said Your mom was great.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Thanks guys, I really do feel better
I just had to get it out - some of you are well aware of the incredible team work displayed in another thread recently - I spent 5 days in there - when it was over..... I tried to read current threads and ... I was just dumbfounded...

The OP should get respect, even if you disagree.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I am very tired and depressed about the little kids on ATS. Being an intelligence seeking person of young age is fine, and ultimately what this world needs more of... But then there are too many people who have no restrictions on what they do or how they act, and then they find there way onto ATS posting ridiculous things, or replying nonsensical answers. It's not a huge problem here on ATS, but... yet still is evident.

I am concerned for the future and the immature boundless children that will one day rule it.

Then in more relation to the OP, I agree that there are far too many people willing to go out of their way to make a point, even if it results in name-calling (and consequently, poor excuses).

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It's 'Mum' not "Mom" lol

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

on both sides of the coin though....

some of the immature trolling comes from 40 + year olds

I don't judge people on their age, just their attitude ♥

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Yes I had an encounter like that just this morning on ATS. When will people grow up? They are mere foreshadows from the past. The ones that pave the road for failure today. Eventually you'd think that Darwin's theory would kick in... Then again I suppose even monkey's still exist.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Comes with the territory I reckon Forever. The amount of people that post will always assure posts as you described, guess it's just numbers and human behavior. Gotta take the bad with the good and letting it get to ya does no good. Stay strong and keep smilin'!

Peace,
spec

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

guess it's just numbers and human behavior. Gotta take the bad with the good and letting it get to ya does no good.

Good advice

I totally agree

thats why I thought it best to do a short rant/vent rather than give them more ammo within their respective threads ♥

the sad part is I don't respond in a lot of those threads for that reason - even if I think I can contribute, their behavior disuades me... I feel like I have to constantly weigh my words and if I don't feel up to it, then I don't let myself post at all

I just know how easy it is to fall into the flame war....

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I feel like I have to constantly weigh my words and if I don't feel up to it, then I don't let myself post at all

That is probably a fair thing to do for now. The "weighing" of words I have found to be beneficial in how I convey my perspectives. When considering how others may respond, one structures their expression a little better and perhaps the extra consideration connects better with more people. At the same time, there is value in shooting straight from the hip sometimes too, speaking unfettered and with full passion. Guess a mix of them both is good, but I feel I have become a better poster from these experiences, and the good correspondences here far outweigh the negative ones.

spec

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

One can learn from the insults of others.

Saying nothing is for the wise and affords the position of spectator.

When the battle rages, sometimes a few words from the wise can stop the ignorance in it's tracks.

Poignancy, simplicity and clarity is a wonderful weapon on these boards.

My mum never used to say "if you can't..." etc, but I know what you mean.

Consider the flip side to your idea....sometimes we don't like what we hear and would like to hear nothing.

Ignorance is bliss?

Life: warts 'n all.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I have noticed a lot of new members lately..Escaping another web site that is turning into a pay site !

Some seem to be just picking fights others are abiding by the rules..

Let the mods sort it out..use the Alert button if it gets too bad

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I think some people join message boards/forums specifically for the purpose of being the dissenting opinion on any and every subject - despite what their REAL opinion may be. I am new here, so I am being very picky about what I will respond to and what I will only read and then move away from. There are some topics that interest me, but if I read a page or two into the thread and the gene pool is... well.... you know... then I just bail on it, even if i think I have something to contribute. I'm here to discuss things that interest me, and kill some time. If I wanted drama, I'd just hang out on Facebook.

I like your posts, Forever. You have been nothing but respectful and polite to me since day one.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

You're the one who slings puerile insults because you have nothing else to add, in hopes that the other people who got a laugh out of it, will give you a star.

And they get stars too! I always picture a piper and a roomful of rats.

Like stand up comics. You can't have a conversation, it is all one sided barbs and jabs for audience attention. They are so pathetic and transparent. No shrinking violet,
I end up getting distracted telling them what for....can't take my own advice! But I always get back to the thread.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

How true - and the ignore button would be great so you could read posts actually relating to the topic not mindless name calling.
Perhaps a great feature would be if the mods could actually delete any posts violating TCs like this - to make threads more readable for those who are actually interested in the topic.
On one occasion I had a real issue with the OP and their statements - but after 2 posts rather than continue diluting the thread I sent them a u2u so we could continue our discussion without ruining others enjoyment of the topic...
When I first joined this site - it seemed well informed and full of mostly intelligent posts - now it seems infested with idiots who can't put a decent sentence together - the people you normally see posting at the bottom of YouTube videos.
The people you refer to are the sort of moron who would sit through a whole tv show and complain it was innapropriate rather than use the remote and choose one of the other 100 channels to find something they actually like. Complete morons IMHO.
edit on 30-7-2011 by facchino because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I hope my mom isn't right, if she was I'd have a breakdown be in the nuthouse getting the mental help I need and I wouldn't be so damned paranoid but I'd rather be here. I love y'all

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Good one.

And I ditto your "technologically induced form of A.D.D."

I also believe some forms are derived from watching TV. Your brain is trained from a very young age to hold your attention to a show for (it used to be 10 minutes - now sometimes its 7?!) a short period of time.

Then, get up and do your thang for 3 - 5 minutes, come back, focus for 7 - 10; repeat.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Great replies, stars for everyone

Seems to me this thread was a good way to notice those who are NOT guilty because I didn't see anyone take serious shots at the points I made - I really laughed at the mom vs mum

I picked that title because I thought it might get some attention. I actually did google to see where that quote came from but I couldn't connect it with anyone specific, and everyone knows their Mom

Personally, I do very much appreciate opposing opinions - we really can't learn without them.

The only problem with some of those is when they're littered with snide comments that are just mild enough (or end with a "?") to avoid being against T&C

No matter how good or logical an argument seems, I find it difficult to take seriously in those cases.... and someone 5 posts down (or up) probably said the same thing in a more mature context. That person gets my star.

They may fit into this somewhat, but I feel its important to say that those particular types, weren't the focus of my rant. Maybe the next one

The focus of this rant is the "one liner" who takes a stab at the OP, and plays it off as being funny. And sometimes it is funny (pics or it didn't happen? we all know its a running joke, most of us giggle a little) - but when THAT one liner becomes the focus of half the thread with a lot of back and forth about how "stupid/idiotic/ridiculous" the OP and their supporters are for believing anything without having proof... completely ignoring the effort the OP is trying to put forth.... and failing to present any real opposing evidence, its just disturbing - and I was hoping this rant would remind those posters that: insults never convinced anyone of anything, anywhere.

Summarily, I just think anyone who puts their ideas out there should be shown respect. If the OP is completely wrong and someone has proof that they're wrong - it wouldn't kill them to be diplomatic in presenting that side of the argument. If I know someone is wrong, but I have no sources, I subscribe to the thread to wait for someone else to present the other side in a MATURE manner, without insult. I wouldn't post something like "are you an idiot? have you done any research at all? google is your friend".

Its just rude.

I didn't mean to make this so long ♥ Thanks for reading!! Though if you read it, you most likely didn't need to. The ones who can and should learn from this, probably ignored it altogether.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join