It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Did I pass out in a bar? Yes, I did.' says Bob Ryan, the Mayor of Sheboygan WI (w/pics)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

'Did I pass out in a bar? Yes, I did.' Red-faced U.S. mayor apologises after being caught on weekend drinking bender

The Mayor of a U.S. city once ranked the best place in American to raise a family has made a candid apology after being caught on a three-day drinking bender which saw him pass out in a bar.

And he refuses to step down. He got in a fight on his three day bender, and was caught on camera passed out at a bar. Is this the guy you want representing your town?

Thoughts?

Mayor Blasted of Sheboygan, WI

ColoradoJens

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

'Did I pass out in a bar? Yes, I did.' Red-faced U.S. mayor apologises after being caught on weekend drinking bender

Is this the guy you want representing your town?

Thoughts?

Mayor Blasted of Sheboygan, WI

ColoradoJens

Frankly, yes. I would want him representing me. Some people cut loose, to expect our elected officials not to is living a fantasy. I respect the guy for owning up to it at least. Others would have tried to pretend it never happened. Sure, it was a bit silly of him to get absolutely blasted as he seems to have, but he's only human. We can't hold him up to some separate set of standards from everyone else!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
He is human and nobody is perfect, at least he admits he has a problem and is actively seeking help.

I guess it just depends on the people of his area as to if he actually steps down or not.

Nobody is perfect and no I dont condone his behavior, he messed up and knows it.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Hell, Marion Barry got caught smoking crack and it was no big deal. So the guy had a few...and a few more...and a few more...vomited...then had a few more...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiskyKisses

Thanks for that reply WhiskyKisses. I agree that we all make mistakes and to forgive is devine. I also believe alcoholism is a disease and can be beat. While owning up to his actions is the right thing to do, in my opinion it is hardly admirable. It is simply owning up. I for one am glad he is getting the help he needs. It's clear that much drug abuse can effect one's abilities...he has admitted it has destoryed his private life. His business/political life is next if it continues...why not dry out and try again in a few years?

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
He is human and nobody is perfect, at least he admits he has a problem and is actively seeking help.

I guess it just depends on the people of his area as to if he actually steps down or not.

Nobody is perfect and no I dont condone his behavior, he messed up and knows it.

Thanks for the level headed response. This actually makes a lot of sense. In many small towns the locals know the mayor and on many an occasion, they have all gotten stinking drunk. I agree the people should decide. In this day and age of instant internet, you just can't do this.

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

this man should not be a politician,i mean seriously,where was the crack?where were the teenage hookers?why did the barman not develop amnesia?why did the reporter not have brake failure?and lastly why was it not on expenses?
disgrace to his position

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by vipertruck99

this man should not be a politician,i mean seriously,where was the crack?where were the teenage hookers?why did the barman not develop amnesia?why did the reporter not have brake failure?and lastly why was it not on expenses?
disgrace to his position

I hear you. Frankly though, if I had substituted a picture of myself in there (pick any number of times) this thread wouldn't of gotten any interest. I don't know too many grown men still raging on three day benders but those who do usually aren't in the limelight as such...and yes, his detail is terrible.

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Back in my drinking days what this guy did was a slow weekend for me.

Anyway, seems like the guy is more of a human than most politicians. I'd rather have a honest politician than a dishonest one, even if he does make mistakes. Heck, the mayor here used to be a lawyer for the mob. Personally, I'll take the guy who has a bender once in a while over any kind of lawyer.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
In business, for my entire career - I felt that even in my off hours I represented the company I worked for - I was taught not to embarrass myself my family or my employer, I've been able to do that for 40 years now, I may be a bit old school, but it is hard for me to feel sympathy for him.

I also have to say that I was able to find out a bunch of useful things from people I have had drinks with. Do I want someone who works for me (either an employee or an elected official) to be sitting at a public bar drunk and in possession of information I would rather have kept as confidential, again I may be old fashioned, I just think public drunkenness is bad business.
edit on 29-7-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Who would you rather have as mayor, someone who occasionally gets drunk like the average person, or someone who abuses their power and declares martial law etc... try to prioritize.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99
Who would you rather have as mayor, someone who occasionally gets drunk like the average person, or someone who abuses their power and declares martial law etc... try to prioritize.

No I would not like someone who gets drunk -- "like the average person" or someone who abuses power. It is not an either or and in my sphere the average person does not get publicly drunk and does not abuse their power. I would never have to make that choice.

I would never hire someone that I would have to make that choice about - I expect not to be a baby sitter to adults.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

I have to pull to your side on this spyder550. I don't have an issue with someone going off on a Friday night out of sight, but sheesh, a person who represents you? This man, regardless of qualifications, just needs help.

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Well, it's not good to pass out at a bar...but many good people have done it!

Shows more of his humanity...at least IMO.

Don't know anything about the guy or his politics....but hey...

We all need to howl at the moon sometimes.

(edited for DOH!)
edit on 5-8-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I agree and completely understand. I also know that this kind of behavior (3 day bender, fighting and passing out in public) is indicative of an alcoholic. He admits that thankfully and is seeking help, as clearly his addiction to drugs is affecting his life. He claims he has never faulted in his duties as mayor, but perhaps he is not even aware of how his behavior is affecting those around him? I think he needs to dry out for a while and then jump back on that horse - he'll be twice as strong! No harm in allowing second chances (as I know I have had dozens)...

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
People like to see their politicians as regular people. Back in the 70's up here Trudeau flipped the media the bird. He was reelected. Chretien grabbed a protester by the throat who got too close. He was reelected. I have no doubt that this mayor will be reelected IF his policies are sound.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
There is just something wrong with stating alcoholism has never affected my professional life, only my personal life. Why do all of these politicians always have such huge personal problems that most of the people I know never have in their personal lives. Yeah, I know people that never drink and have squeaky clean records on their personal time.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Not sure I blame the man given the state of things. When a man hits the brick wall and has no viable options left...time to hit the bottle.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I would like my politicians to be a little more everyday too. We have set a bar that is not legitamate for our politicians...we want to believe that all of them are just busting along perfectly with no personal issues, etc. Can you imagine the press if Obama stumbled around and passed out at the Press Club dinner? Can't have it. Not acceptable in our country. Putin on the other hand will challenge you to a vodka drinking contest while shooting rare siberian tigers and then celebrate his victory over you by crushing your small flower business. Perhaps we can find an inbetween?

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

So true and Putin is well liked in Russia. Mind you he controls everything.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join