It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA now believes comet Elenin to be a comet cluster

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
There's a big plus nobody is talking about.

When the Earth passes thru Elenin's tail the moon will pick up alllll of that ice in the tail and could end up with an atmosphere/more water.

If it doesn't get cracked in half from the impact of some of those big chunks.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

The system you gave me shows different co-ordinates, and doesn't mention or look like the infrared image on Google Sky? Just curious because of its position and the fact it is on the ecliptic plane, and isn't viewable with normal telescopes?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by backinblack

Fine. Next time you're in a plane ask the pilot to roll 135º. Same as a 135º turn, right?

The satellite is not being turned to image the comet. It would appear in the field of view even if no maneuver was done.

Crap ! Do you turn a door knob? Or roll the bloody thing down the hallway like a baseball? Geez certain types around here can be absolutely boring when they want to be pedantic and right about every detail. Either way they are going to make a manoeuvre to intentionally get a look at the comet.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It sure is fun to speculate hey?
I would be more worried about the asteroid #2005 YU55, as this will be much closer
and is est.525 feet in diameter..

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

The system you gave me shows different co-ordinates, and doesn't mention or look like the infrared image on Google Sky? Just curious because of its position and the fact it is on the ecliptic plane, and isn't viewable with normal telescopes?

Google Sky is a child's toy, its plot in not necessarily very accurate; the co-ordinates are misleadingly precise. PGC 1001866 is within 0.3 arc-seconds of the co-ordinates on Google Sky. One arc-second is 1/360 of a degree. Would you consider one one thousandth of a degree to be significant in terms of the co-ordinates? You asked a simple question, I provided you with an answer.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Thanks, so that is definitely the infrared system, because I cannot find anything anywhere else on it that can confirm this other than your word! Do you have a link to another source or article?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Do you have a link to another source or article?

If you go back to page I linked, at the lower right there is a box that will search references for you. There's not much but mentions in catalogs. It does not appear to be very interesting.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Just seems like a significant star on Google Sky, and apparantely in line with our ecliptic?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by malcr
Surely Mods this kind of distortion should not be allowed? Is it any wonder NASA is accused of lying when it gets constantly misquoted like this!?!?!?!?

If I was dictator of this site, the OP would be banned for a week.
This site is *supposed* to be about informing people of the truth of the world, not about making tabloid sensationalist lies.
And who are the 13 morons who flagged this garbage?

If you were the site 'Dictator'?? Is that right.

Well you're halfway there, just substitute 'tator' with 'head' and wollah.....you're it!!.

The OP is fairly clear on explaining the fact that they are not sure how reliable the source is and that they will post further info as comes to light.

I am still researching this story. I will post more detailed links as I find them. I am unaware of the credibility of these 2 sites, which is why I'm still specifically looking for a known quotable source

Just for the record, as a general rule when you come to a website that deals heavily in conspiracy theories don't expect to find too many threads that include a signed sealed and delivered letter from the president admitting guilt. You say this site is about informing people of the truth of the world and in a way this is true but if you think the truth comes in the form of the OP you're kidding yourself. Information is analysed, disected, cross referenced and researched by a group of people interested in a particular topic and they then raw their own conclusions.

If we go on your logic there will be nothing to discuss and nothing to see here......hey hang on a minute, where do you work again??

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

you really like to contradict your self don't you, can you make your mind up one way or another or do you just like being pedantic

in one thread you say there is no galactic cross and then you say in your next breath it happens every december, can you make your own mind up or do you even know your own mind, and just the hell are you to trash another cultures belief a very little man in my opinion

and now on this thread you state nasa your pathetic little god, who gets around 80% of it wrong, and then have to re-correct there data, that they are not rotating turning rolling there satellite to view comet elenin yet a quick visit to there website and they say they are which is it ? also IMO if you are moving something by 135 degrees then they definitely are turning rolling rotating to look at elenin any idiot can see that 135 DEGREES that is moving it so get over it

oh and when I have checked some of your facts and figures they don't always come back as accurate and one figure was roughly 20 % out

in my gods honest opinion you are nothing more than a debunker. if people want to believe something that is there choice and not yours, like I said who are you to decide what people want to believe in if it makes them happy, then let them be happy if they want to believe something let them, they will soon be disappointed, me I can't wait for the light show as that is all it will be, I have never sort to judge or discredit someones belief, that is there choice and all you are doing is adding to other people's confusion, when you keep contradicting yourself, are you doing this on purpose, do you enjoy adding to people's confusion, or are you trying to get people to fear as they do not know what to believe when they hear from so called experts as yourself, rather than spouting it give them a source so they can do the research themselves, like they say deny ignorance which you seem to like to perpetuate giving blind answers means sod all as the answer can fall on death ears and only perpetuates there ignorance and you the children who follow this persons every word are acting like sheep

now I suppose this is where your little gang of followers attack me well get over it I'm old enough not to give a dam what people think and I am more than capable of doing my own research unlike some

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

reply to post by backinblack

STEREO B is not being "turned" to picture Elenin. It will remain pointed at the Sun as it always is.

When Elenin enters its field of view the spacecraft will be rolled in order to give the sensors different viewing aspects. This will allow a certain amount of analysis of the comet and its composition.

The Spitzer Space Telescope is in prefect position to view and obtain alot of good data,images from Comet X1.
Elenin is @ 139 million miles from Earth, and Spitzer is @ 87 million miles from Earth..Its only @ 52 million miles apart..
www.spitzer.caltech.edu...
Here's Elenin..
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 30-7-2011 by Vetfather because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It's July 30th...
1. Why all the hype with this comet?
2. Where are the pictures?
3. 100's of these things pass every year
4. Many telescopes in space and on the ground here on this awesome planet yet we can't get a picture
5. Someone or multiple someones are either laughing there heads off at us dummies following it or there packing there chit up

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I admit that I do mostly dismiss the spaceship armada theory, only because I've seen UFOs in real life go ultra-fast straight up leaving a bright tracer line. So obviously they can go faster than a few hundred thousand km/hr. Just an opinion based on observation. Now I am open to the possibility that maybe their FTL drives only work under certain conditions, and what I saw was only 25% light speed or something. Maybe larger ships have more trouble, I don't know. Maybe it's typical space tactics to start at the edge of a system and work inwards slowly, could be anything.

Point is that's all speculation and the only fact I personally have (my sightings) cause me to doubt aspects of the scenario.

Now, if NASA is right and it is truly a comet, that wouldn't surprise me in the least. They are quite common after all. I do admit the whole thing seems kinda odd, and I also think it's interesting how ATSers have been debating it endlessly as well.

Now if they think it's a "cluster", which may or may not be commonplace, that is even more interesting and compelling. So here at ATS I suppose we have pretty much drawn the line between comet cluster and spaceship armada.

Like I said earlier, I wish it was spaceships. Spaceships can stop and not plow into Earth.

If it's really a comet cluster they are going to leave a nice trail of debris that will almost certainly create a type of meteor shower effect sometime soon afterwards as we pass through the trail. I haven't seen any really good computer models of it's path trajectory, perhaps we could luck out and it would be positioned slightly off vertically to the solar plane...but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Also I think many people don't realize the difference between 'comets' and 'asteroids'. Comets are usually a lot bigger and faster moving, so if a comet hits Earth we will almost certainly be wiped out. But asteroids hit Earth every day and nothing happens, so asteroids only kill planets .00000000001% of the time.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

((Left side))...looks like Spitzer is looking at X1 general location ?
====================================================
Hubble wants your input/comments...lol
hubblesite.org...
Leave a message and become part of Hubble's history.
Type your message below
Okay...I will
========================
I typed in the following...
Can you image Comet 2010 X1, please
Waiting /Looking if it comes up ?...
Hey,you know what the more the better...If you got the time send them that request.
Maybe we might get lucky ?
If we are able to get any color, images,data, etc...from these 2 spacecraft telescopes it might (will) answer the question(s) we seek.

edit on 30-7-2011 by Vetfather because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bauldrick

who are you to decide what people want to believe in if it makes them happy, then let them be happy if they want to believe something let them, they will soon be disappointed,

Sometimes, what people choose to believe makes them unhappy. Unhappy people sometimes try to kill themselves. The fear mongering by the "Comet Elenin is an extinction level event" propagandists is like shouting "jump" to someone standing on a window ledge. Shame on you.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by bauldrick

who are you to decide what people want to believe in if it makes them happy, then let them be happy if they want to believe something let them, they will soon be disappointed,

Sometimes, what people choose to believe makes them unhappy. Unhappy people sometimes try to kill themselves. The fear mongering by the "Comet Elenin is an extinction level event" propagandists is like shouting "jump" to someone standing on a window ledge. Shame on you.

ya but those who are,,, firmly rooted too reality,,
realize the window ledge is only three and a half feet from the ground.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Hillbilly123069

You'd think they'd either get their story straight early on or (much easier) just wait until they actually know more about it before publicly saying anything.

First it was just a harmless small comet, now a comet cluster. What will it be in a month when it approaches us closer?

It also gives the people who believe Elenin is more than any type of comet something else to discredit NASA with. Funny how since coming to ATS, I'm starting to disbelieve anything NASA says more and more as time goes on. Before I'd only read their info in a newspaper when they were quoted or if someone working with or for them spoke on camera for a tv show (no offense to Mr Oberg if he reads this, he's done a great job over the years helping pass info to the public, I'm questioning them more than himself) and just agreed and moved on.

Now I'm starting to read info and other opinions to see which feels more right to my gut instinct and beginning to trust that.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

NASA has never said Elenin was anything but a comet.
The OP is wrong.

edit on 7/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

NASA has never said Elenin was anything but a comet.
The OP is wrong.

I know that, do you like purposely misreading? I said myself, NASA said it was just a comet originally.

Now they're allegedly (you may wanna research that word) saying it's a comet cluster? So still a comet per se but more of them and smaller than thought to create enough size and matter to look like a singular (that's if it is indeed a cluster but just explaining in case you didn't know what a cluster is).

But like I said, whether true or not, it unfortunately gives more credence to NASA being "liars" to some for not making up their minds based on newer evidence which is why it sucks to be them.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Here is what you said:

You'd think they'd either get their story straight early on or (much easier) just wait until they actually know more about it before publicly saying anything.

First it was just a harmless small comet, now a comet cluster. What will it be in a month when it approaches us closer?

It is still a small harmless comet. NASA has not said otherwise. NASA has not said it's a "cluster comet" (whatever the hell that is).

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join