It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Tunnels under Europe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
www.spiegel.de...

A few radiocarbon dating analyses have also been performed, and they indicate that the galleries date back to the 10th to the 13th century. Bits of charcoal recovered from the Erdstall tunnels in Höcherlmühle date back to the period between 950 and 1050 A.D. Heinrich Kusch, a prehistorian from the Austrian city of Graz, believes that these results are incorrect. He suspects that some of the subterranean systems were built about 5,000 years ago, in the Neolithic period. For several years now, he has been probing Austria's Steiermark region with giant drills for "gateways to the underworld."

I am intrigued since those tunnels are literally "in front of my home" back in southern Germany where i used to live a year ago...but back there i never heard about them.

Some say they estimate they only know about 10% of them with the majority of them still undiscovered. Right now they know of about 700 such tunnels..they also say those tunnels are all throughout Europe. The 5000 year estimate is also interesting.

I wonder if there has ever anything been found in such tunnels (besides charcoal fragments)....i mean if there is 700- xxxx? tunnels under Europe...wouldnt you except to find some interesting things in at least some of them?

Edit: I still haven't figured out how to EMBED images here?
edit on 29-7-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Neolithic is 5,000 years ago? What the...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
pretty interesting, but in the article the oldest date I saw was from the middle ages. I think, more research in needed. such, as mining, and cave experts to see if the where dug, and with what kinds of tools.

i think it would also be interesting to overlay maps of the time, to when the caves are date. to see what comes up....

-GhostInShell

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
If these tunnels were places to hide from enimies there would be things left behind like pottery

Do you suppose they were escape tunnels ?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Animal tunnels? Is it possible that the tunnels were made by some now extinct animal?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghostinshell

"i think it would also be interesting to overlay maps of the time..."
-GhostInShell

You know, this is a really cool idea.
I would really love to see this! Let me know when you've completed it...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Animal tunnels? Is it possible that the tunnels were made by some now extinct animal?

Giant Rock eating earthworm ?

It would have to be a worm like in the movie Tremors
Scary thought

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by granpabobby

Originally posted by fixer1967

Giant Rock eating earthworm ?

It would have to be a worm like in the movie Tremors
Scary thought

I was thinking more along the lines of a gaint rat or something but you idea sounds better.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
If I lived in a remote farm house and bandits were coming through the area periodicaly - a tunnell to hide in is exactly what I would build!

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

not really, a small fire or the house above is burning and in secounds you die in your cave cause of a lack of oxygen

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hessdalen
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

not really, a small fire or the house above is burning and in secounds you die in your cave cause of a lack of oxygen

a hidden second entrance that allows for airflow a distance away from the first one at the homestead would take care of that little issue, no?

new topics

top topics

join