It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunker or Believer? Quick poll of ATS Members

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Are you more likely to believe or want to believe in the reality of Aliens and UFO's ?

Do you believe in god?

I'm wondering if atheists are more likely to believe in UFO's than religion, the saying goes "We ALL have to believe in something".

For me the answer is YES I believe in the reality of Aliens and UFO's and I have a constant need to find if disclosure either by government or by news report or by whistle blower has happened or is happening, this is a constant urge for this to be the case. EVERYDAY! and yes I am an Atheist, to me it's more likely Jesus performed miracles and walked on water was most probably an Alien.

I have posted my experience of UFO's on ATS earlier in the year this has had a profound effect on me! IGNORE my user name this was not thought through when i joined.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I believe in UFO's and aliens. I believe that we can't possibly be alone in our universe, which really is so big that our brains can't even imagine the whole thing.. At the same time, I'm a "fan" of the Christian values and some of the bible-stuff, so it's kind of hard to figure out. I think what we all could need is an official statement from the U.S government about what they really know. They probably fear we'd all panic and kill ourselves, maybe they're trying to protect us? I don't know..

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bsalert

Though I've witnessed a UFO myself and think they're 'real', I am neither debunker or believer. I am a skeptic which means that the quality of evidence I require is rather high before I start to take something seriously. It's not actually UFO's that I'm skeptical of but rather the people who 'report' them. There's simply too many outlandish claims, dishonesty and misidentification for me to put stock in anyone.

To simply believe without qualification is the intellectual equivalent of taking candy from strangers.

IRM
edit on 29/7/11 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Agnostic skeptical believer.

I like to play devil's advocate really. IMO, most UFO lore is kook/fraud nonsense.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Skeptic.

I'm inclined to believe there is life elsewhere in the Cosmos but I have never seen a single piece of credible evidence to suggest they have visited Earth, past or present.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Anyone trying to make money out of the UFO subject has to be suspect, I'm not, I wish others could have seen what I saw then they would believe. Add Nick Pope to your list.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I think it's two entirely different things. There may be a correlation, but even if there is, I don't know what valid assumptions you could draw from that. Even if you could somehow construct a profile of the typical "believer" it still isn't going to provide any assistance with dealing with a specific individual. In fact, I've argued long and hard that labels and pigeon-holing are one of the biggest detriments to understanding people on a personal level.

I don't think debunker/believer is either/or. Some of the most zealous UFO skeptics and debunkers are firm believers, who take umbrage at some of the more ridiculous claims and "evidence" out there. When you believe, and you try to take a topic seriously, it isn't too difficult to start taking personal offense at some of what comes up.

And I think that applies with "believers" in any field.

Bear in mind, when it comes down to it, I don't think there's any such thing as 100% certitude i.e. "knowing". I think all there is, are degrees of belief. We reach a certain threshold where we say we "know" but all that is, is a significant enough degree of belief to push it over the threshold. And that line will vary by individual.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
It's not a closed binary. I believe there is weird stuff out there; that people have seen genuine things in the sky, that there are things that lead to these sightings; perhaps Faeries, or Djinns, or Aliens, or something we haven't even thought of yet.

But I am also inclined to disbelieve most of the evidence we get of those things; to offer less bewildering explanations for most of the alleged evidence; and that bigfoot has never had sex with batboy.

I am, however, absolutely positive that there is other life in the universe. It would be practically statistically impossible for there not to be.

And I am an atheist. I take roughly the same approach to God, though I don't think such an entity exists at all.

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in our philosophies... But you gotta point them out to me.
edit on 29-7-2011 by Solasis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Amen

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsalert
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Anyone trying to make money out of the UFO subject has to be suspect, I'm not, I wish others could have seen what I saw then they would believe. Add Nick Pope to your list.

Indeed! Nick Pope is someone I have become very wary of. UFO's have been his gravy train ever since leaving the MOD. He's been on my radar for quite some time.

IRM

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Probability tells me there has to be something out there.. Without a doubt..
Whether they are flying around earth is a different matter. I'm skeptical to a certain point.. I believe alot of UFO sightings could be secret aircraft.

But if some hard evidence came to light, it wouldn't be a shock to me.. As it would most of the population.. with the size of the universe, surely it'd only a matter of time before we find life out there..

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Agreed! Eloquently put Yeahright!

IRM

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I'm an atheist.
I think there is life elsewhere in the universe, but whether they've visited Earth or not I just don't know.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsalert
IGNORE my user name this was not thought through when i joined.

HAHA. I love your user name BSALERT! Find a good avatar and run with it. My profile says my location is Sirius B, but it's really "Sirius BS!"

I am both a debunker and a believer. I call BS when I see it, but i'm here on ATS because I want to believe! I don't believe in the GOD of the religions, but I believe in a supreme being. Not a bearded guy in the clouds, but an intelligence of universal magnitude.

As I posted in another thread this morning:

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, Shakespear

edit on 29-7-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Yes but will we be told? and who will tell us NOT the US maybe North Korea, Iran or Cuba, i'll be great fun for them.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by bsalert

I would characterize myself as a "skeptical believer". I think its more or less mathematically impossible for life NOT too exist elsewhere in the galaxy, however I do think that the lions share of folks who claim to have seen something, or more amusingly yet, been "probed" are pants-on-head nuts. Its always seemed to me that for every credible sighting, there are at least half a dozen nutbags who want attention. That always saddens me slightly, as these MUCH more fantastical reports are generally what get better press, and as such, when they are inevitably proven to be nonsense, it makes the credible stories sound that much more unbelievable.

Now on to my thoughts on god. I think "arrogant agnostic" would be a good descriptor for me. I don't doubt there is likely one (or many) higher beings out there, but I refuse to bend my knee to anything. My general views on religion is that everyone is right, and everyone is wrong. I think it is the height of human arrogance to look at another human and say "I know what god is". As such, I think that everyone, be they Christian, Muslim, Pagan, Pastafarian, or anything else simply connect with the divine as they understand it. To assume that something as laughably simple as we humans are could understand the entirety of a deity is silly. As such, everyone is right and everyone is wrong.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bsalert

edit on 29-7-2011 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by johncarter

You need to open your own mind up. Not all skeptics are deniers. We are skeptics. Do not paint us with your Straw Brush. We look at the evidence with a critical eye.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Debunker AND believer that believes in a deity. Debunking and believing arent on opposite ends of the spectrum.. and it would do ATSers well to grasp that. Some of us need much more solid evidence in order to "believe" in something. Some of us also refuse to participate in the cult-like atmosphere in the UFO community... so it may appear to the unobservant that we are disbelievers. In reality, we are probably the most convinced of the real possibility because we are on a search for irrefutable evidence! LOL!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Skeptical believer I think

new topics

<<   2 >>

join