It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy Orders Laser Machine Guns

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

only for automatic direct target pownage, not what i was wanting to see...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Simply put in the keywords of your post such as in this case I would put, Navy, Laser, warship and you'd find your answer.

In regards to your post I think this is an amazing time we live in. I believe that with weapons like these becoming more prominent we are making the turn into the next generation of warfare and we get to see it happen. Similar to when we went from props to the jet-age and into space.

We are only a few techs shy from rendering navy's as we know them obsolete in my opinion. We will still have Navy's but they will look nothing like they do now. Air force's will change and the make-up of ground forces will change according to the needs of the technology.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Are they gonna order sharks to strap the lasers on their heads now?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
They still might want to keep the ol' CIWS system around, despite some of the laser's known advantages. As neat as it may be to have a weapon that could potentially be named THELMA (Tactical High Energy Laser - Maritime Application), I'd hate to see what could happen if sea water over time causes some kind of mineralization build up on the optics. Is some guy from WEPS going to be out there with a squeegee all the time or is this only going to be available during fair weather, but covered up the rest of the time? In addition to what the sea provides, how well will this deal with soot and grime that may come from running of turbines or other weapons systems and typical wear and tear of non-skid surfaces? It may not seem that intuitive since they're out in open ocean, but Navy ships aren't exactly a perfectly clean operating environment.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

oh, I thought a mirror would reflect all light

Well, we are now officially in the future

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

In regards to your post I think this is an amazing time we live in. I believe that with weapons like these becoming more prominent we are making the turn into the next generation of warfare and we get to see it happen. Similar to when we went from props to the jet-age and into space.

We are only a few techs shy from rendering navy's as we know them obsolete in my opinion. We will still have Navy's but they will look nothing like they do now. Air force's will change and the make-up of ground forces will change according to the needs of the technology.

Yes, agreed. Its exciting. We cant stop them now.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Its weapons systems such as these that explains the much publicized US "ho hum" response to China's anti-aircraft missile.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This reminds me of the Gatlin Laser weapon from the post-apocalyptic Fallout games.

Pretty damn badass, though. I'm glad the United States is an ally and not an enemy.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by David_Reale

Pretty damn badass, though.

Yes, it is, and I would have to agree. Might as well if you can...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
why can they make something that looks as cool as the russian kashtan cwis.

meh would have been nice to see in action but with the budget cuts doesnt look like the us navy will be getting their new toys.

im holding out for phasers..................beam me up scotty

top topics

<< 1   >>

join