It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It was the Gun Store Owners who foiled Fort Hood Bomber...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
the full story can be found here Post Gazette
but don't let the story title fool ya... it wasn't the "Police foil Fort Hood terror plot" Rather it was a pair of rather Suspicious gun store employees who first sounded the alarm when Pfc. Naser Jason Abdo entered their store...

Pfc. Abdo purchased gunpowder, three boxes of shotgun shells and a magazine for a semiautomatic weapon from Guns Galore LLC, a retail store in Killeen that serves "all hunting, recreational and gun collectors' needs," said employee Greg Ebert, a retired Killeen police officer.

Mr. Ebert said he and the manager were suspicious of the man, believed to be Pfc. Abdo, whom Mr. Ebert described as aloof. Suspicions were raised after the man revealed that he didn't know what smokeless gunpowder was, but was buying several pounds of it. "If you don't know what the [stuff] is, why are you buying it?" Mr. Ebert said. "He didn't do anything illegal. It wasn't unlawful for us to sell it to him. But why buy six pounds of powder if you're not sure how it functions?"

Abdo also used a Taxi to get to the store... not something you see a lot of people doing in truck loving central Texas...

After he left, Mr. Ebert and his manager reached a consensus that they were uncomfortable with Pfc. Abdo. Guns Galore is the same store where Maj. Hasan purchased his handguns and ammunition in 2009. "We alerted the police to a potential problem, and they took it from there," he said.

took it from there is right... these two guys just alerted the cops to man who had enough explosives in his room to make two good sized time bombs... or so they report...

So the police took the credit... but the real heroes don't wear badges in this story... nope they are those calm helpful professionals who gladly help make your fine firearm selections and purchases... unless your buying 6 pounds of bullseye® and don't know what it's for...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Yeah, saying "I dont know what this is or anything about it but I need 6 pounds of it" is a tad suspicious.

You'd think he would have taken some time. Maybe buy a can of a different grain once in a while over the course of a year or two to figure out what was what.

Then go around picking up a canister confidently from different sources until he had the quantity he needed.

Then get caught walking around a military base with a proper explosive device.

At the very least when buying 6 pounds of gun powder chat it up with the clerk about how you're finishing your workshop cannon this weekend and cant wait to try it out at the ranch or something.

It amazes me to no end how half-assed lunatics are.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

it was the quantity that got me... 6 pounds...

remember I'm a reloader... in fact I just bought another 5 pound Canister of Blue Dot on Monday... yeah that's a lot of powder should last me close to a year too... and I'm pretty sure they dont come in a 6 pound can...

but you know... I've never seen anything bigger than that five pound can... normally you buy them in smaller 1 pounders...can of 2400, Bullseye or Unique... if your gonna mix it up... and I always ask for it by brand-name... I don't think I've ever used the word smokeless powder... in normal conversation... so yeah... there was a lot there to make an expert do a double take and scratch their chin why thinking it over

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Thanks for pointing me to the thread Gunny.

I agree with you wholeheartedly; we gun owners can take care of ourselves, weeding out the nimrods as we go. Seeing as how our culture is saturated with firearms
they should teach gun safety in high school as a required course too.

Off topic: You've probably seen this before, but I got this email from a friend last night and thought it was hilarious.

Why waste the young?

I am over 60 and the Armed Forces thinks I'm too old to track down terrorists. You can't be older than 42 to join the military. They've got the whole thing ass-backwards. Instead of sending 18-year olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35.

For starters: Researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds. Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a day, leaving us more than 28,000 additional seconds per day to concentrate on the enemy.

Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. "My back hurts! I can't sleep, I'm tired and hungry." We are impatient and maybe letting us kill some a##hole that desperately deserves it will make us feel better and shut us up for a while.

An 18-year-old doesn't even like to get up before 10 a.m. Old guys always get up early to pee, so what the hell. Besides, like I said, "I'm tired and can't sleep and since I'm already up, I may as well be up killing some fanatical S.O.B."

If captured, we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser.

Boot camp would be easier for old guys. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at, and we're used to soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We've been using them for years as an excuse to get out of the house, away from the screaming and yelling...

They could lighten up on the obstacle course, however. I've been in combat and didn't see a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any pushups after completing basic training.

Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy, too. I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet.

An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to start up a conversation with a pretty girl. He still hasn't figured out that a baseball cap has a brim to shade his eyes, not the back of his head.

These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way.

Let us old guys track down those dirty rotten coward terrorists. The last thing an enemy would want to see is a couple of million pissed off old farts with attitudes and automatic weapons who know that their best years are already behind them.

How about recruiting women over 50 ... in menopause! You think men have attitudes! Ohhhhhh my God! If nothing else, put them on border patrol ... They'll have it secured the first night!

Oh, one more thing. I've had a photo of Lt. Col. North raising his hand to testify before Congress on my desk for almost 20 years. I don't care what anyone says, he is a good Marine.

It's this one (although it's a properly cropped 5X7 the AP sent the paper to use in the story.)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Wait, so they went ahead and sold the gun powder to this "aloof" idiot? Why? They should have refused him service, and THEN notified the police.

The only reason I can think of as to why they would sell and then report is because the police have told them to do that as it's easier to prosecute criminals if they are in possession of the stuff as opposed to merely accused of attempting to purchase it.

Anyone else have thoughts/insight into this aspect of the event?

edit on 29-7-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

I retired as a working gunsmith... pretty good one too...
Several of my customers were cops... not once did any of them ask me to do anything like what you suggest...
A good lawyer would be quick to play the entrapment card if they did..

Of course I was in the repair and upgrade end of the business... never the retail end... and remember too this same store sold the hand gun to another shooter who wasn't stopped in time...

There really wasn't a good reason not to make the sale... but there was reason to worry and ask the cops to take a peek at what this kid was up too...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

Why not get the sale in the process?

He was paying with cash after all.

When all is said and done the shop might even get the powder back.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
They did the right thing. The gut has to be followed. The first thing they noticed was he acted different than joe blow getting some steel shot for ducks on saturday.

Then the quantity, and not knowing what he was buying, was the tip and said it all. Getting him in front of the register and holding a conversation and taking extra time makes sure they can pull some good stills from the camera.

When its apparent somethings wrong, slowly try to move them to where you know you have good camera coverage and try to keep them there for a bit. If you have to let them get out the door with something, then you have to. Your going to be on the phone right away anyway.

If you go the extra mile and can get a plate#, fine, but don't spook em in the process.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Yo, Gunny, check it out. Fox just called the gun store owners "heroic" for their actions!

www.foxnews.com...

Giving credit where credit is due. Niiiiiice.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Its because the shop owner, did the right thing Plus the Government tells you a FFL license holder you have the right to refuse to sell to anyone, if the hair is'ant right or the gap in there teeth is to wide, but money is not everything to some people, safety is, i passed this gun shop on I-190 in texas, first most people know about guns ammo, reloaders know their stuff, and most dealers know their customers repeat buyers. Trust ME on this, ATF sends updated bullitins on what to look for....

top topics

join