It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Busting Posse Comitatus: Military Cops Arrest Civilians in Florida City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Busting Posse Comitatus: Military Cops Arrest Civilians in Florida City

www.infowars.com

Crime prevention off military bases is the responsibility of civilian police, not the military. In 1878, following Reconstruction, the Posse Comitatus Act was passed. It limited the powers of the federal government to use the military for law enforcement. The statute prohibits Army and Air Force personnel and units of the National Guard under federal authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States, except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress.

Infowars.com has reported numerous violations of Posse Comitatus since September 11, 2001.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
A really disturbing trend has been developing. Members have seen me write about my concerns over "slippery slopes" being created. Here we can see one in action, as incident by incident the military takes a more active role inside the U.S. People look the other way because they either don't know it violates federal law, or they only see these as isolated incidents instead of the big picture of what's really happening.

www.infowars.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
More from the source:

In 2009, the National Guard provided “security” in Kingman, Arizona. The Coast Guard, under the Department of Homeland Security, is now exempt from the Act.

The military participated in a checkpoint along with Tennessee cops and Homeland Security in April of 2009. The governor and state representatives were not aware of the illegal collaboration when contacted by the Alex Jones Show.

In 2008, the Marine Corps Air and Ground Combat Center and the California Highway Patrol used the Christmas holiday as an excuse to collaborate on a drunk driving checkpoint in San Bernardino County.

Following a shooting in Alabama, the Army was dispatched from Fort Rucker to patrol the streets of Samson in 2009.

Pittsburgh mayor Luke Ravenstahl called in the National guard to help in “domestic” disputes in 2009. Ravenstahl used a snow emergency as an excuse. He went on television and said “be advised that you will begin to see National Guard Humvees in some of your neighborhoods beginning this evening.”

The above represents just a small sampling of the military violating Posse Comitatus. The Act was violated in earnest following Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The devastating storm proved to be a beta test for military violations of the law.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
And most chilling are the future plans being made:

NORTHCOM announced in 2008 it would use battle-hardened troops from Iraq for “civil unrest and crowd control” in the United States. On September 30, 2008, the Pentagon announced the 3rd Infantry Division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team would be an “on-call federal response force for natural or manmade emergencies and disasters, including terrorist attacks,” the Army Times reported.

The mission soon expanded from disasters to every day police activity.

So, with the debt crisis getting worse. If citizens stop getting their "entitlement checks" will we see large scale civil unrest breaking out? Will that be the excuse for the military to swing into action?

Possibly coming soon to a city near you ...
edit on 7/29/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
US Army National Guard and US Air National Guard are exempt from Posse Comitatus as well. Why do you think they are always used for riot control?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

I always thought that National guard units were under the control of the state while stationed at home.
Isn't that why, when there is a civil emergency, the governor usually calls out the National Guard?

I didn't think that was a violation of PC.

I remember when we had hurricane andrew. My family had a business in homestead. I went back to retrieve merchandise from the building that got destroyed in the storm. The national guard was out stopping looters. I showed my ID and business card and building ID to show that I was a shop owner.

However the looters were put on their knees while the guard soldiers pointed M16's at the looters. They were held till police showed up.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Local governments will in the end relinquish their responsibilities to the Feds for the simple fact they can no longer pay for law enforcement. We're being starved into submission.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The National Guard while under Federal mandate is NOT exempt from Posse Comitatus.

Only when the Guard is under a State Mandate is it exempt.

If the Governor of a State issues at “State of Emergency” and “Activates” the National Guard based in his State can Posse Comitatus be circumvented.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Military police have jurisdiction on their base and a certain area outside of their base to protect the perimeter. If a crime is happening near the base, the military police can detain someone until the local civilian police can get to the scene. Which is exactly what happened.

You must've missed this part of the article:

On July 15, military police – known as Security Forces patrolmen – detained a criminal suspect at a Circle K until Miami-Dade police arrived.

The same thing can happen anywhere. Even a civilian police officer from another jurisdiction can detain someone until the local police of that jurisdiction arrive on scene. It is legal and within protocols.

The people over at Infowars aren't up to speed on police procedures and protocols, so they're not the best source to get information from.

As far as Posse Comitatus is concerned, that act prohibits the use of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines within the U.S. borders. However, the National Guard and Coast Guard are exempt from the Posse Comitatus Act.

You can read more about that here:

www.homelandsecurity.org...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I remember the incident that happened in Tennessee that you are referring to.

Like you stated the Governor had no idea that the Military was doing Road Blocks and when the local state congressman found out about this occurring in his district, he got on the horn to the Governor immediately and the Governor stepped in and ordered the unit back to base, which they did comply.

Funny that you bring this up know, I was just pondering on this incident yesterday.

Pondering if the New Governor of Tennessee would have the same “Minerals” that the old Governor did in a case like this.

I really don’t think so, the New Governor is more of a Globalist that the last Governor, and doesn’t seem to have much backbone.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I think some of these are misleading... you posted something about the Marine Corps running a DUI check in collaboration with the CHP. As if it were some sort of combined arms exchange ... the reality of the situation is that the "collaboration" was really a training exercise of Marine Corps Military Police learning how to setup and run DUI checks ON BASE by shadowing a civilian law enforcement agency (California Highway Patrol). As for your other examples, I can't speak to them because I don't have any first hand knowledge of the events.

I find that it's normally people that have never served in the military that tend to mystify the armed forces because they don't have an understanding of how things work outside of media and movies. People tend to be afraid of things that they don't understand.

I'm all for being a watchdog, but there's a thin line between investigative reporting & fear mongering. I find the best case is to only report FACTS and try not to mix your personal opinions or seductive reasoning and let people decide for themselves. (That last line isn't directed @ you OP, but the media & talking heads in general)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

In fact they effected a "citizens" arrest, something ANYONE could have done...but unfortunately they happened to be wearing military uniforms, which automatically demonizes them.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
You know way back when they started with this Patriot Act thingy and there were a bunch of us who were saying Please dont do this it will end badly -- and we were called traitors for not supporting the President and the right wing and told that we should leave the country because Cheney Bush and Rumsfield have this handled. GO USA

Well about that......

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Actually, US Military Rules regarding Armed Personnel off base is very strict, and does not happen by accident.
They could, and in a way did a citizens arrest, but there may be some trouble for the MPs, for going off base with US Military firearms, unless ordered by the Governor.

Scary times to say the least.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Did these SF personnel have their weapons? And what was the crime the individual committed? Was he just robbing a gas station or was he being chased for attempting to plant a bomb on the base?

I hope you see I am going to extremes here to get a point across. I can’t find any information on this story other than info wars. Is there another source for this story? Where did they get it from?

****EDIT

My ATS time is from work, and many web pages are blocked on the work machines... LOL just waiting for the day they decide my time at work is better spent staring at the wall than reading ATS posts. Any way I cant get the story from the places I have found posting it with a google search. they are all blocked web pages.
edit on 30-7-2011 by byeluvolk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
as americans, many, if not most of us, have become lazy and too scared to fight back
what has happened to us all.
as lewis black siad in a stand up comedy act " its as if we had fallen asleep on a nuclear reactor, and turned our brains into hamburger meat"
thats what happened to us.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by byeluvolk

US Coast Guard personnel above the rank of Petty Officer 3rd Class (all USCG personnel above this rank are empowered to act as customs officers hence their law enforcement status) can technically carry their issued pistols off base while off duty under the LEOSA however for liability reasons most station/unit commanders do not allow this practice.

top topics

join