It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To all of those that blame Bush-Here's a civics lesson.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Obama inheriting a huge deficit from Bush. Amazingly enough, a lot of people swallow this BULL.
So once more, a short civics lesson.
Budgets do not come from the White House. They come from Congress and the party that controlled Congress since January 2007 is the Democratic Party.
Furthermore, the Democrats controlled the budget process for FY 2008 & FY 2009 as well as FY 2010 & FY 2011.
In that first year, they had to contend with George Bush, which caused them to compromise on spending, when Bush somewhat belatedly got tough on spending increases.
For FY 2009 though, Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid bypassed George Bush entirely, passing continuing resolutions to keep government running until Barack Obama could take office. At that time, they passed a massive omnibus spending bill to complete the FY 2009 budgets.
And where was Barack Obama during this time? He was a member of that very Congress that passed all of these massive spending bills, and he signed the omnibus bill as President to complete FY 2009.

edit on 29-7-2011 by billyjack because: Made a typo

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by billyjack

Obama has an open checkbook, but dont for a second think that Bush didnt...and dont think he didnt spend.
His term of 8 years he presided over a 2.5 TRILLION increase of public debt.
Granted Obama will nearly double that in his first 4 years.....but Bush has blame in this game too.

Dont fool yourself.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
it is congress that writes and submits the budgets...however those budgets would have to pass the presidents desk for APPROVAL prior to being enacted...bush is just as responsible as congress for the mess we are in. Red and Blue alike are equally bad hats in this case.Congress and presidents alike.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Don't forget, it was under Bush's tenure that we had a massive increase in military spending and illegal wars in two separate countries, neither of which the alleged hijackers came from.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Bush increased the debt by over 6 trillion.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc572d8a5532.jpg[/atsimg]

From National debt by U.S. presidential terms (might be easier for you to read the chart at the above link)

During much of Bush's tenure, he had a Republican majority in both the House and the Senate. He claimed that tax cuts would pay for themselves, which they never did. He claimed that tax cuts would result in growth, which it hasn't. We are in the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. Trickle down economics are a joke, and republican policies of handing everything over to corporations resulted in nothing more than market bubbles and wall street swindling.

I for one refuse to let the republicans off the hook for this debt crisis. Yes the debt increased under Obama but look at what he inherited from Bush - two of the most expensive wars in American (or world) history and a huge economic crisis. Bush bailed out the wall street banks, Obama bailed out the auto industry and homeowners.

This train wreck started under Reagan and has been running off the rails ever since. No one has been worse for the debt than Bush Jr. though.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/17e000811594.jpg[/atsimg]

(Sorry about the image sizes)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

once a nation is broke, does it matter how much obama spends/borrows?

If I was flat broke, and the only way to sustain myself was borrow, I'd borrow til the forever, BUT I would wisely spend what I borrowed. And stop sending ONE RED CENT outisde the 50 states. And Send every Us citizen with a Documented lineage of at least 3 generations born here, 250,000 bucks. give it to those whose families built america!!

The old saying "It happened on 'my' watch"...MUCH of the hugest travesties---Patriot Act, 9/11/01, Iraq invasion, Afghan invasion, just the top of it
edit on 29-7-2011 by rebeldog because: premature e-postulation

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
i am sitting here laughing that the people and party who campaigned that bush spent too much is now spending more and still spending more and trying to raise the limit of what they already cant pay for

dont you just love politics

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

yeah and obama added somalia.yemen,pakistan and libya and increased defense spending

yep yep thats all bushs and not obamas

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by _BoneZ_

yeah and obama added somalia.yemen,pakistan and libya and increased defense spending

yep yep thats all bushs and not obamas

Yeah, no kidding! It's like "well, HE did it so we can too'!!! In all seriousness it's equivalent to Bush walking away from a smoldering camp fire and Obama walks up and throws gas on it! Then, congress comes in with a large tunnel-sized wind blower to spread it, all while saying, "well we didn't start it".

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Why do people argue whether Bush or Obama did this? That's a false dichotomy.

Bush killed the economy, pushed it into the coffin, and dug the hole.

Obama nailed the coffin, pushed the coffin in the hole, and buried it.

People, if you think Bush isn't at fault, or that Obama isn't at fault, please stop posting, commenting and having any political opinion what so ever. Because you're at fault too, and you're killing my country.
edit on 29-7-2011 by SpectreDC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

Agree with that post...to a point. As these knuckleheads still spew about "this president did that, that president did this" nonsense I'm dumbfounded by their lack of understanding in who controls the purse stings of this nation. IT AIN'T THE PRESIDENT! Sorry for shouting. Bush wanted the Medicare drug benefit plan, he engaged us in two wars. Other than those two he did jack squat to our deficits. And a pet peeve of mine is that I still see uneducated people listing tax cuts as spending...ignorance like this boggles the mind.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by EdSurly
Bush wanted the Medicare drug benefit plan, he engaged us in two wars.

That tax cuts are spending. How do you suppose that revenue gets made up? The money was already spent, now those taxes still need to be collected but cannot be collected from certain people thanks to those tax cuts.

So what you just pointed out that Bush did Medicare Part D, two wars, and his tax cuts

ALL UNFUNDED.

Now that Obama has to clean up that mess, people keep saying he is just making it worse. If you ignore the UNFUNDED part of the problem, you are part of the problem.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by billyjack
Budgets do not come from the White House.

Agreed, but this doesnt excuse the whitehouse from responsibility over spending. The president still has a number of ways to object, veto, or make his stance well known.

They come from Congress and the party that controlled Congress since January 2007 is the Democratic Party.

You do know that Bush became president in 2001 right? You are aware that this $14 trillion debt didn't just accumulate from 2007 right? It's been decades in the making, much of which came about over the last 30 years.

Furthermore, the Democrats controlled the budget process for FY 2008 & FY 2009 as well as FY 2010 & FY 2011.

2008? The Democratic congress still required republican support to get anything passed during 2008. They do not hold the majority this year, in 2011. As for 2009 and 2010, it'd be silly to insist the republicans were powerless. It's being dishonest if you ask me, but if you feel to protect the republicans, ah well, I just hope you'd realise how far you are being used.

This financial crises didn't just arise because of the events in 2008 and following, that's a load of garbage. The financial crises occured 1 year 10 months after the democrats took power, it'd be really silly to pin this on the democrats and the democrats only considering how far the debt can be traced along with government spending.

edit on 30-7-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Obama inheriting a huge deficit from Bush. Amazingly enough, a lot of people swallow this BULL.
So once more, a short civics lesson.
Budgets do not come from the White House. They come from Congress and the party that controlled Congress since January 2007 is the Democratic Party.

Look, I don't like the politics of the new liberals or President Obama. But if you are going to give a civics lesson and then lay all blame upon Congress, without explaining that the President has to sign the bill they presented you are being disingenuous.

This post should read "THEY ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE"! President down to the unknown congressperson that voted for any of this mess.

My advice..understand this axiom: You can delegate authority but you cannot delegate responsibility.

The above would be that ultimately, we are on the hook for the mess. The People have failed at basic self-representation and the Republican principles that this nation are founded on.

edit on 30-7-2011 by ownbestenemy because: Principles...not politics

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

congress is the guilty party not the presidents rubber stamp congress is the check that controls the president and they failed to do their jobs every last one of them. the president is a eunuch without congresses approval.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

During the Bush admin anyone who did not agree 100% with the right was labeled a terrorist supporter, anti american, 9-11 osama lover, who was either with us or against us.

Do you really think people are too stupid to remember just a few years ago? I mean i understand right wingers prey on these kinda sites (face it, its an easy vote when you are in an area that people will buy into ANYTHING posted) but seriously... If people not smart enough to remember a few years back, or to even look into it own their own then i guess you all deserve everything coming to you. Just a shame you drag us all down with you.
edit on 31-7-2011 by ShogunAssassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

And here's a History lesson.
Clinton balanced the budget.
Bush came into office and guffawed in his texan drawl that we were a "surplus economy" that didn't need all this money because we weren't in debt! And then promptly mailed everyone money, like a fool. Then Rumsfeld announced the pentagon "misplaced" 1.3 trillion dollars. then 9/11 hit and Bush gouged out hundreds of billions every week for the war with the wrong country.
Then Obama came and republican backed corps like chase, BofA and GM arrived on private jets with their palms up for a hand out.

Sell your sweet memories of Bush to your fellow republicans, the rest of us remember all too clearly. I think you're really trying to convince yourself.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Just imagine it is your parents - despite having a good income, they have just kept borrowing money to spend on frivolous crap until they are in debt by as much as their annual income - when someons asks them what the hell they are doing they say - aw hell, the children can pay it back when they start earning!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sgreco

I do wonder where this hatred towards democrats was 10 years ago...the country had a surplus budget and a plan to pay off the debt in 15 years. Sure, 9/11 threw a wrench in there...but did we have to go to Iraq? Did we have to cut taxes...twice?

A huge chunk of president Obama's debt went towards the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act, the federal government put down a huge amount of money towards middle class America but the states couldn't back it up. Why? Because 49 states have balanced budget amendments. When a crisis such as the 2008 crash hits, they can't do anything to pump money into the economy. This essentially negated the effect of the ARRA. Sure, a few people kept their jobs and a lot of us got a tax break but it was all for nothing when the states couldn't even come close to matching it.

Now congress wants to imposed a balanced budget amendment to the federal constitution? The pinnacle of bullheaded ignorance lies within the house of representatives right now.

new topics

top topics

join