It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'The Lost City' Marks 100 Years.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Hi,

I found this exciting article trough: news.discovery.com...

It is very butifull and also very interesting to both see the picture and read the article.

June 24, 2011 -- Peruvians have been celebrating all month Machu Picchu's 100th anniversary of the discovery of the archaeological wonder.

This 15th-century Inca city of carved stone structures, built on an Andean mountain range, was introduced to the world by American explorer Hiram Bingham.

I find it very amazing that they could buid that city so long ago. I think that many modern people are underestimating the archivement this city actually is.

Historians and archeologists still don't agree on Machu Picchu's function. Some believe the site was a sacred location while others say it was a resort town for an Inca emperor. Up to 1,000 people are believed to have lived at the site.

In regards to what the site is, I think it is very possible that this was a resort for an Inca emperor. Even though Giulio Magli, professor of archaeoastronomy at Milan's Polytechnic University is looking at it from another perspective:

Machu Picchu Described as Pilgrimage Site

The site, surrounded by tropical forests, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983.

In regards to the surrounded tropical forests, I think both the city and the forest is worth saving.

NOTE: I am very sorry if someone has posted this. I couldnĀ“t find it on ATS and thought I would share, since the whole construction plus it surroundings are truly remarkable.

Source: The Lost City' Marks 100 Years: Big Pic

Thanks,

join