It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How i quit smoking.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I could not agree more. That is exactly how I quit. Cold Turkey. I just got it into my head that I was done and didn't want to smoke any longer.

I smoked for 7 years and have been quit for 10. Started when I was 15.

It was actually a lot easier than people say it is, it is all about not wanting to do it.

I wish I could convince my brother of that. He always says he's "addicted" and can't quit. I say it's because he doesn't want to. He has managed to convince himself of this, I have stopped trying to get him to quit, when I bring it up, he gets mad and tempers flare.

Brava to you!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who quit that way.

-Simms

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I used to smoke, although only for a year or so. I managed to give it up cold turkey and I was so successful that I managed to go a year and a half without having one. Then last year when I was in Ibiza, I stupidly had a cigarette when I'd had a bit too much to drink to sober me up. After that I smoked pretty much every time I went out of a weekend, which was every weekend.

I find it easy to go form Monday to Friday without having a cigarette, but come Friday/Saturday night and I have alcohol inside me, I badly crave them and my will power fails. The only solution I can think of is to stop myself going out, but then that's just boring

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
img683.imageshack.us...

this really inspired me - some cruel facts...

*btw, ty anon

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
You have my utmost respect! Anybody who quits smoking has my utmost respect. I am a smoker, have been smoking for 43 years! Before they came out with nicotine gum, Chantix, patches, etc. I was able to quit one time for 2 months. The nagging you describe as having been with you on your first cigarette-free day did not dissipate, for me--one iota the entire 2 months! If I was awake that hideous nagging was present--not a mini-second of relief! After 2 months, I just could not handle it anymore and went back to smoking.
I hope a cure, a real cure, is found in my lifetime. A big thumbs up to you!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Totally agree with you carrying a packet of cigs around with you so you know that you have some and won't start to panic thinking that you don't but you also keep in mind that you are quitting so its pretty easy.......thats how my dad stopped.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hypnosis works on some people. But in the end it is up to you.

Really though, if you cannot do it, seek how a hypnotherapist.

Did not work on me - but he has not smoked for almost a year now.

The guy who hypnotized him made him think of penises every time he lit up.

He claims he hasn't taken a drag since that visit.

I like to smoke. I don't give it any negative power. I have been smoking for 7 years, between 5-20 cigarets a day. Some days I don't want any, some days I smoke far too much. But I try not to stress out over my cigarets, which some of my friends will do. Smoke, look down at their cig, and stress on the fact that they are smoking. Cognitive dissonance is what causes cancer, after all.

If you have any doubt that you don't want to smoke, then just picture a cup of bleach every time you smoke.

Cigaret = Cup of Bleach

Would you drink a cup of bleach, because someone else was?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I quit through acupuncture for almost 10 years. I didn't even want to go to the session. I got talked into it.
Pins went in...I came out a non-smoker.
I even ran the L.A. Marathon for my 30th birthday.
I'm in bed with some chick I don't even know,(yeah I was THAT good) and she lights up,and BLAM..I started up again.

I think it's time to see that Chinese Voodoo Pinpusher again. I HATE smoking.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DBCooper71

Wow, I like how glamorous they make smoking look..Heck, if a doctor is doing it..it must be good for you

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Man I don't know why people say quiting is hard... I've quit hundreds of times.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
Man I don't know why people say quiting is hard... I've quit hundreds of times.

Yeah I used to quit every night for 8 hours....but this 5th day is ruff...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Sending some will power to you OP, its a lifestyle adjustment and they can be testing.

I'm about nearing the time to quit. 30 is approaching in September and I have promised to myself that I will kick the habit at that marker. 16 years of smoking is going to be tricky to move away from, I have smoked for all of my adult and adolescent life.

The problem is I love to smoke, I really enjoy it! I don't smoke a lot in a normal day, 6 - 7 roll ups, but it has been a far too consistent habit, and far too long. Unfortunately all of my friends smoke, so the temptation is always going to be there. Saying that though my gf does not smoke so I have a pillar of strength in her!

My will power is going to be the battle, it is easy to say no, but to stick to it, time after time, thats another matter.

I think if I can break the most ingrained habit of my lifetime anything is truely possible. My self discipline will power up, making life commitments less effort and I get a stack of 1ups as a reward.

This weakness is killing me softly, Life and loved ones are more precious than a stupid cigarette, I want to spend as much time with everyone as possible!

A promise to yourself runs deep, respect and fulfil, it never goes away.

Stay true OP!!! x
edit on 29-7-2011 by Fatmandy because: s3pt3mb3r

edit on 29-7-2011 by Fatmandy because: got to keep the grammar nazis happy, as best I can...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The trick is wanting to quit, that will get you started, but if you truely enjoy to smoke it will be with you forever and a constant temptation.

My dad quit when I was born. Much like the OP: carrying a packet with on his person and never smoking them.

After 30 years Dad says he still wants a cigarette, the psychological urge never goes, but Dad chooses not to be a smoker anymore.

I think that self control is a valuable lesson and opens up many doorways in you.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Apologies for leaving a trail of posts ;P

To all the quitters on this thread, I just did what you are thinking, I caved and had a smoke.

After reading all this thread, rolling one up, going outside and I felt dirty, weak and selfish.

Smoking is:
- Self satisfying
- An easy excuse for delaying many things
- Over in the blink of an eye
- A false comfort, a cheap hug

If you feel like having a smoke read this thread again,
take strength that you are not alone!

If you need something to distract you listen to the tunes in my sig and send me some feedback

edit on 29-7-2011 by Fatmandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DBCooper71
How long did you take them for.?
I might give them ago.

I took them for approximately a month, a pill every morning and one at night. The box says you need to take them for at least 6months or so. But I couldn't smoke a cigarette without getting sick after one month. Also I'd highly recommend not drinking at all while on this medication. You will get super drunk off just a few beers so be careful if you are gonna drink at all.

I would also recommend not taking any other medication with this, unless approved by your doctor but even then its sketchy. Chantix will make you have absolutely bizarre dreams that will last ALL night. You will become very cranky every morning cause you spend the entire night in a crazy dream and you wake up like feeling like you've been running a marathon all night.

I've remember snapping out and yelling/cussing at my boss over nothing. Little things would send me over the edge often while taking this drug. You must know that I was taking Chantix when it first came out, and there was a lot of cases of suicidal thoughts and people having violent outburst so they took the drug off the market for awhile. They eventually put it back on though claiming they have taken out the violent and suicidal effects of it.

One thing is for sure though talk to your doctor before taking this medicine! I'm also pretty sure you have to get it prescribed by your doctor anyway. (that is how I found out about it). They could of changed it though. Anyway good luck with your journey if you plan on taking Chantix. It is one hell of a ride, but worth it in the end.
edit on 30-7-2011 by Anoynymoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

Originally posted by mudbeed
Smoking is stupid as hell (coming from a long time smoker)

hey Hey HEY! watchit
Smoking is all the benefits of suicide without the commitment

If drowning in your own bodily fluids is the way you want to go...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
congratulations! keep up the good work and hang in there. I quit on December 3rd. I actually started to quit last October, but alcohol is a trigger for me and so i was taking drags off my friends cigarettes on the weekends when i was out (i am active in the music scene where i live).... but on December 3rd, the weekend of my 40th birthday, i quit taking drags PERIOD. I have smoked for about 27 years - more than half my life. I feel so much better, and I want to share that with my smoking friends, but I also have to keep myself in check, as i don't want to come off as preachy (i remember when "those people" when I was a smoker and they annoyed me and i really didn't listen to them anyway. lol). BUT, ya can't save everybody, and I am certainly content with being proud of saving myself

Again, congrats and best of luck. best gift you could ever have given yourself and your family!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Guys, thankyou all for the well wishes, i appreciate it.

Like i said, i am not here to bad mouth people that still smoke, hell, i know how good a cigarette is. So you smokers go ahead and smoke, it is your right, and no one can make you quit.

To the guys, that have quit, or are trying, i say well done people.

Lol, this almost feels like an AA meeting, lol, but yeah, i geuss it is an addiction, so in a sense it is like one.

Thanks again though for the contributions to the thread.

vvv

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Anoynymoose

Hey thank's for replying.

I'm in two mind's whether to take them or not.
I've been watching a few youtube vids, of people taking Chantix, and as far I can make out the weird feeling start when you up your dose on quitting day.
But one guy was saying when he started feeling strange, he just cut his dose from twice a day to once a day, and he was fine after that.

I think I will give them a go, and if it get's too much, and if I start to go weird or weirder, I'll stop taking them.

By the way, have you noticed any long term effect's after quitting the drug, and have your craving for nicotine completely gone.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

i took chantix for about a week. i had the WORST night terrors (i would call them nightmares, but they were way beyond nightmares...) and the things i was dreaming about traumatized me during my waking hours so much that i just stopped taking the chantix altogether. and i wasn't even taking the whole recommended dosage, i was taking half. i think had i been taking the whole recommended dosage i may have gone completely mad. lol. i do know people who took the chantix and didn't have any problems with it AND it did help them quit smoking.

the thing i learned is that not everything works for everyone when it comes to quitting smoking. what worked for me might not work for you and vice versa. it's trial and error.

my step-father (of 30 years) passed away from lung cancer a couple of months before i quit. that's what did it for me. it was the hardest thing i ever had to watch. and because my mother is deaf, i was the one charged with taking them to the doctor appointments and hearing what the doctor had to say, in order to convey it to my mom - my step-dad wasn't able to remember everything and tell her everything, so she needed someone there to be her ears. so... making that long walk with him, and then ultimately standing in my front yard, watching the coroner wheel his body out of my mothers house and watching both of my younger brothers fall to their knees in the front yard in tears and grief... that was it for me.

i also do NOT like feeling like someone else has control over me, and with the chemicals and additives that they put in cigarettes, specifically to keep you addicted and keep you in that vicious cycle.... i didn't wanna be part of it anymore. paying someone to kill me... paying someone and thus funding their research on how to keep me as addicted as possible until i die. i decided to opt out

best of luck. and be careful with the chantix, chantix users... if you have problems with it, stop immediately regroup... that drug is NOT for everyone.

edit on 30-7-2011 by highpriestess because: typos

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by highpriestess

i took chantix for about a week. i had the WORST night terrors (i would call them nightmares, but they were way beyond nightmares...) and the things i was dreaming about traumatized me during my waking hours so much that i just stopped taking the chantix altogether. and i wasn't even taking the whole recommended dosage, i was taking half. i think had i been taking the whole recommended dosage i may have gone completely mad. lol. i do know people who took the chantix and didn't have any problems with it AND it did help them quit smoking.

the thing i learned is that not everything works for everyone when it comes to quitting smoking. what worked for me might not work for you and vice versa. it's trial and error.

I can totally relate to the crazy dreams, some are a bit better then others.

For example: I had some very awesome dreams of me with 3 other ladies and it was probably the best dream I've ever had in my life.(not gonna go into detail) But there were a few nightmares like one where I woke up in complete darkness and all you can see is black. So I started crawling around on my hands and knees waving my arms trying to find my way through the dark. After doing that for what seemed like an hour I just got up and started running and sure enough I just started free falling off a cliff for like 5mins and finally woke up outta terror(thank god) who knows what would of happened if I had hit the ground.

While on chantix your dreams will last a lot longer than normal, sometimes its good but other times its pretty terrifying. GL though

edit on 30-7-2011 by Anoynymoose because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join