How i quit smoking.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+19 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Today is the 12th day since i last smoked a cigarette. I use to smoke about 20 to 25 cigarettes a day, for almost 13 years.

12 days ago, i just decided to quit. No particular reason really, i just did not want to smoke anymore. Of course there are alot of advantages to this, however that was not my motivation. I just wanted to quit, and set my mind to it.

I did it cold turkey, i did not use any nicotine gum, or patches, or an e cigarette to help me. I figured, i wanted to purge my body of nicotine, and not continue giving it nicotine, even though it is in a different shape.

Furthermore, i carried an open packet of cigarettes with me all the time, even now, as i type this, i have it with me, with cigarettes in it. I use it to test my self control, because imho, this is what it is all about, to fight your natural urge to give in to the craving.

Your mind, or body, especially in the first couple of days will try to make you do things, to justify "having just one", or "let me have this one more, then i will quit", and those type of thoughts are the thoughts that you will fight.

Day 1 was the hardest by far, i swear, i could think about nothing else that first day, except smoking, it was like i was in a daze, my brain felt covered in a layer of film, it felt numb, and i was obsessed with smoking. Yet, i fought the urge, and pushed through.

Day 2, it got easier, but hardly easy. I started chewing some cinnamon gum, which seems to have helped alot.

One of the other hardest parts is to get rid of the habit, for example, after dinner, i smoked, with coffee, i smoked, when i get in the car to drive, i light one etc etc. This pattern is what needs to be broken, and that takes willpower.

Now, i will never be one of those judgemental ex smokers, that tell smokers how bad it is, or that they should quit, etc, because i know how nice it is to smoke. I made this post, merely as maybe a little bit of inspiration for people trying to quit, just wanting to let them know, it is possible, but it is not easy.

Do it cold turkey, make your resolve, stick to it, and control yourself. It is very possible.

Every now and again i still get a little craving, but nothing compared to the first couple of days, and easily controllable.

I wish you all the best, if you want to quit.

vvv

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Have you been to a bar with your friends yet??

After "Day 1-3" I think that is the next hardest thing to do

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
congrats!!!!! it does take a heck of a lot of will to quit. I'm not a smoker myself, instead i enjoy chewing tobacco. and i imagine its on the same level of difficulty to quit. I made a on july 1st to quit by august 1st. I had stopped completely for about 2 and a half weeks and then like you said i just kept making up reasons to have one. a good example is "oh its only the 29th i dont have to quit for 3 more days"

It sucks so if you have any tips or tricks to kick the habit that would awesome! congrats again

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

Yes, actually i have. I try to put myself in all types of situations, where i can test my willpower.

We have been out, in bars, where smoking is still allowed inside, and i will say this, it does stink. Its like i can smell much better, since quitting.

Weird though, my mates who smoke, when they are smoking, i go and stand next to them, just to test my willpower again.

It really is all in your mind.

vvv

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
You are an inspiration to others. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge. I hope others can quite just as you did, i once was a smoker too and like you one day i woke up and said im quitting. I told myself in my mind i don't need that poison, and that i can do other things to control my stress and that micro break when you are working on something,and that its not going to control me any more. Once you quite smoking your body will start to cleanse its self. You will start feeling better, your stress will go down alot, you will feel better about yourself, breath better and smell better.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Awesome stuff!

The problem with willpower........Willpower, defined as the ability to do what you Will.....is that you need Motivation to fuel it.

Without motivation, you just end up doing things that you want to do anyways, and things you do for no particular reason at all.

With Willpower alone.....you just get in a spot where your Will is just to do SFA and then SFA is what ends up happening....

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I have to applaud you on your effort. I've been smoking between 10 and 25 cigs a day for the past 36 years and about to quit. Spring time is near and with plenty to keep me busy and very active I decided to take the plunge in about 4 weeks as the weather gets warmer.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

I have to applaud you on your effort. I've been smoking between 10 and 25 cigs a day for the past 36 years and about to quit. Spring time is near and with plenty to keep me busy and very active I decided to take the plunge in about 4 weeks as the weather gets warmer.

I hope you pull it through mate. Just don't fall into that trap, about setting yourself a date, that you are quitting on, and then as it gets closer, moving it "just 1 day", for then you have lost before you started.

Just when you are ready, finish your packet, and just forget about it. Don't dwell on it, don't let it control you.

I wish you all the best mate!

vvv

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Ithink it's good for you to fortify your will .

You should find some thing that you know it takes effort to do that , and you should finish the job.

After that you will feel that you have great abilities and then by the help of a strong will you can quit.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Well done, sir.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Congrats on making it this far. ive smoked for 10 years and quit several times lol. i made it 3 months then gave into stress. and lately ive tried to quit but its just so hard on my mental and physical state. the first 3 days are horrible. my chest starts tightening and hurting..i remember one day it hurt so bad i was in tears. i smoke cowboy killers..marlboro reds. i know people say there isnt a difference with cigarettes that they are all the same but thats BS. i used to smoke lights and never was physically sick like i am now. constantly hacking up crap, headaches constantly, lungs literally hurting when i laugh or when im inhailing the smoke. for these reasons i want to quit..i feel like itll probably kill me sooner then later. cold turkey wont be what kicks it for me. think i want to try the patch. anyone tried it and succeeded?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Well done, I tried a few years back, and lasted about a week.
I went the through same symptoms,I couldn't stop thinking about fags (cigarettes).
No matter what I did I couldn't stop thinking about them.
In the end I had an argument with my wife (I got really grumpy) and used that as an excuse to start smoking again.

Maybe one day I'l be a none smoker.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DBCooper71

That is exactly what happened to me as well and yes I will have another go soon.
My mate did it the same way as OP. Too good!
One problem that I have is that I get my sense of smell back and I don't like it -- I could not believe how bad cars and peoples breaths and stale motel room and public toilets etc etc etc actually all smell. Almost wanted to go back to my ignorant non smelling bliss...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by djs37

Haha, I remember gagging on someone's BO in a post office queue, I had to leave in the end.

Hey, have you got the death rattle yet.
Thats when you spend the first few minutes after waking up, coughing up mucus.
And you get that rattling sound in your chest.

Thats when you know it's time to quit.
edit on 29-7-2011 by DBCooper71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Damn it - I have the rattle.
The mucus has lots of black bits in it? Are these bits of lung or tar?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by djs37

Probably both

I might switch to camels, most doctors smoke them, don't you know

I can't believe they use too get away this, back in the day

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

As I read your post I'm lighting one up,I like you enjoy smoking with driving,coffee,a drink or doing just about anything.I find it's that pattern that's so hard to break.

A few friends of mine went to see a hypnotherapist,20+year smokers,and haven't picked one up since(4 months),so I think that's the route I'm going try.Hopefully it will work for me and as much as I enjoy it,it is time to give it up...good luck to you and stay strong,...you are doing the right thing
edit on 29-7-2011 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DBCooper71

Originally posted by djs37

Probably both

I might switch to camels, most doctors smoke them, don't you know

I can't believe they use too get away this, back in the day
ha ha,unfortunately I remember these ads everybody that was anybody smoked back then and no one gave it a thought,actually it more strange if you didn't smoke.I remember when you could smoke in the hospitals,and I did when I had my first child back in 1984,I would walk down to the nurses lounge to smoke with them,can you imagine?I believe it was not long after that that cigs were banned from hospitals.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Well done, and congratulations, and stick with it.
I stopped for 4 years doing exactly the same as you...pure will power.
I used to stand next to smokers to smell the smoke, and that actually gave me the kick I needed rather than inhaling.

I then went on holiday for a week with four women.....and started again...that was 10 years ago !!!
Thats how bad women are for you...lmao

keep going mate.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
one of my best friends was a serious smoker. we came up with a plan for him to quit.

we calculated the total cost of his smoking per week and then he went and took a 4 year loan with that value in repayments and bought an amazing new triumph motorbike. whenever he feels like a smoke he looks at it or goes for a ride. it will take him 4 years to pay it back but he hasn't gone anywhere near smokes since he picked it up. It has been 2 years now without a single smoke.

good inspiration to have something you can hold and say "its this or a smoke"

i know what i would chooose.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join

Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant
read more: Ora.TV's Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant