It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

99.9% of all life forms that ever existed on Earth are now extinct - What makes us any different?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Is it our superior intellect?

www.peopleofwalmart.com...

Is it our advanced technology?

www.tsa.gov...

Is it our ability to care for one another, for the advancement of mankind?

www.popularmilitary.com...

"Kill a man, and you are an assassin. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill everyone, and you are a god." - Jean Rostand.

Is it our need to advance our species to the stars?

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Is it our destiny?

nwoobserver.wordpress.com...

Is it our ability to communicate?

www.theregister.co.uk...

Is it our capacity to grow and learn from our mistakes?

en.wikipedia.org...

Is it our superior leadership in times of crisis?

www.americanthinker.com...

What will separate us from the other 99.9% of all life that has lived on this planet?

www.endangeredspeciesinternational.org...
news.nationalgeographic.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.extinct.net...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Dude thats pretty intense, but what if they only went extinct because they moved to a higher plain and no longer required outdated flesh vessels?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I think the simplest answer we unlike all the other species have the brain power to leave the planet we are just not allowed prison planet and all .............

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
How do they know it's exactly 99.9% of ALL life forms are extinct?
It's the same ego logic as when they claim to be able to put a date on the age of the Universe..... we can't even take care of ourselves on this planet, but we know how old the Earth and the Universe is, lmao!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
This is actually one of the arguments creationists make and i feel its quiet valid and reliant to your question.

Natural selection is a science of elimination of species, not of creation of species.

Given that natural selection only eliminates species, it does not create new mutations, and given that 99.99% of mutations are not beneficial being random, eventually only once species in each environment will remain.

We are the only species in every environment and we are the best equipped for natural selection.

We are also the only species which is able to compete OR work symbiotically with the environment as a whole.

Whether we do or not is another thing.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by 20COMEtMYanELENINe11
reply to post by Signals

but what if they only went extinct because they moved to a higher plain and no longer required outdated flesh vessels?

Skinvelopes.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 20COMEtMYanELENINe11

Well then that would change the definition of extinct, and give us hope, I like it.

The only way to test your theory, unfortunately, is to go the way of the others though....

link   
Well, let me go off the deep end here..........

Humans don't go extinct on this planet.............because there are other people, from other planets, stars, whatever, who will not allow their experiment subject to just be destroyed.

There, I said it........we are not natural of this planet. We are an experiment...........

Yeah, okay...............

link   
I'd say its a combination of all of the above, but that doesn't mean we've become indestructible. We could all be easily wiped out via disease, an asteroid impact, super volcano or a number of things. maybe we've just gotten lucky so far.

I'm sure there'll be a few 2012ers along shortly to say we're on the verge of extinction anyway

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Opposable thumbs. No other reason than opposable thumbs homie.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ginga

I think it would take more than an asteroid or Elenin or whatever...

We seem to be the first life form here (or anywhere else as far as we know) that can control it's own destiny.

But can we handle that kind of pressure?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
They are extinct because they have evolved, the same reason all of our previous ancestors went extinct.
The same reason why the ancestors of every creature currently on this planet is now extinct.

A lot of them aren't extinct in the sense that their lineage has stopped.
edit on 29-7-2011 by Segador because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I don't think we'll ever be completely wiped out unless the planet is blown to little pieces. Even if a huge disaster hits and kills most of the planet off. There's people that are smart enough, savvy enough, and well equipped with survival skills, that there will most likely be a few stragglers to start over and repopulate. I like to think I'd be one of those people but probably not

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Everyone is missing the point entirely. We have only been here for a small fraction of the Earth's existence. Just a flash in the pan so far. Also, we have the ability to manipulate our surroundings and influence our outcomes like no species ever has in history.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Thank you for the WalMart link. I know now how I will waste a couple of hours instead of going to bed.

Khar

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Humanity is different in that it actively works towards its own extinction by poisoning itself with its own waste, eventually creating an environment where it will no longer be able to thrive.

Actually, wait... yeast does that too via fermentation!

Nevermind

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

We're here, we're queer! We're fabulous ... so don't mess with us!

Personal Disclosure: Its our own ability to be self defeatist that protects us... as we spend so much effort in that endevour that the rest of the universe just sits backs and watches [popcorn anyone?
] but we sux so much at whatever we do that we are incompetent at self destructing as well [60yrs with nukes and we're still here
] ... Face it .. we sux at suxing and the rest!

edit on 29-7-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited for clarity. :shk: see how I sux

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron

Thank you for the WalMart link. I know now how I will waste a couple of hours instead of going to bed.

Khar

Case in point?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

What will separate us from the other 99.9% of all life that has lived on this planet?

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Namaste!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
We have avoid an Extintion Level Event.

For now...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join