It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Really In The Food? The A to Z of the Food Industry's Most Evil Ingredients

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
At the end of the day food is a drug! certain food will affect you in different ways and lack of other types of foods with the essential vitamins and minerals will actually kill you if that is all you eat. In some cases, lead to effects that are, at least, controversial.

(NaturalNews) Ever wonder what's really in the food sold at grocery stores around the world? People keep asking me, "What ingredients should I avoid?" So I put together a short list that covers all the most toxic and disease-promoting ingredients in the food supply. These are the substances causing cancer, diabetes, heart disease and leading to tens of billions of dollars in unnecessary health care costs across America (and around the world).

If you want to stay healthy and out of the hospital, read ingredients labels and make sure you avoid all these ingredients:

Acrylamides - Toxic, cancer-causing chemicals formed in foods when carbohydrates are exposed to high heat (baking, frying, grilling). They're present in everything from bread crusts to snack chips, and because they aren't intentional ingredients, acrylamides do NOT have to be listed on labels.

Aspartame - Chemical sweetener that causes neurological disorders, seizures, blurred vision and migraine headaches.

Autolyzed Proteins - Highly processed form of protein containing free glutamate and used to mimic the taste-enhancer chemical MSG.

BPA (Bisphenol-A) - A hormone mimicking chemical found in nearly all food packaging plastics. Active in just parts per billion, BPA promotes cancer, infertility and hormone disorders. It also "feminizes" males, promoting male breast growth and hormone disruption.

Casein - Milk proteins. Hilariously, this is widely used in "soy cheese" products that claim to be alternatives to cow's milk. Nearly all of them are made with cow's milk proteins.

Corn Syrup - Just another name for High Fructose Corn Syrup (see below). Frequently used in infant formula products.

Food Colors - FD&C Red #40, for example, is linked to behavioral disorders in children. Nearly all artificial food colors are derived from petroleum, and many are contaminated with aluminum.

Genetically Modified Ingredients - Not currently listed on the label because the GMO industry (Monsanto and DuPont) absolutely does not want people to know which foods contain GMOs. Nearly all conventionally grown corn, soy and cotton are GMOs. They're linked to severe infertility problems and may even cause the bacteria in your body to produce and release a pesticide in your own gut. If you're not eating organic corn, you're definitely eating GMO corn.

But there is much more:

- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Homogenized Milk
- Hydrochloride
- Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
- Partially Hydrogenated Oils
- Phosphoric Acid
- Propylene Glycol
- Sodium Nitrite
- Soy Protein
- Sucralose
- Textured Vegetable Protein
- Yeast Extract

You can read the full article HERE

I am looking for more confirmation, but Im not really surprised about this.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Your source is biased and I'm not convinced every item on the list is that horrendous. That said, cool post. It's almost horrifying to know what crap they put into are food for essentially no good reason. I know some serves a purpose while being slightly unhealthy but this stuff is in everything now and in all forms and mixtures and such.

A story about the first on your list, as well as a tip. You can find warnings about it at McDonald's on their nutrition facts thing they're supposed to have up. In the bottom right corner. This local one by me went from putting cardboard signs in front of it, to obscuring it in other ways, to placing napkin holders in front of it, to flat-out bolting those down to block the warning. Disgusting place. Terrible. (I went there for a coke a few times, get over it lol). Don't eat that bland poison.
edit on 28-7-2011 by SpringHeeledJack because: spelling

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Nice thread. I really hope people become aware of this problem.

There are unfortunately many more than even these listed! I just stopped buying anything that has an ingredient I don't recognize. They stick a lot of particularly nasty stuff in commercial bread products. Off the top of my head, there's one thing called Azodicarbonamide that is very nasty and should not be consumed. If you really like bread, it is actually very simple to make yourself, it only takes like 10 minutes to mix up a couple ingredients... but most people would be better off skipping the bread most of the time anyway.

Recently I stopped buying anything that says "natural flavors" because that can be just about anything they damn well feel like putting in there, including MSG, aspartame, or their new favourite poison neotame.

And, well, this is just gross and not a health hazard as far as I'm aware... If you don't want to eat crushed up beetles, avoid red foods that say "carmine" on the label and if you don't want to eat beaver anal extract, avoid anything that is labeled "vanilla flavor" with no vanilla bean on the ingredients

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Acrylamides - Toxic, cancer-causing chemicals formed in foods when carbohydrates are exposed to high heat (baking, frying, grilling). They're present in everything from bread crusts to snack chips, and because they aren't intentional ingredients, acrylamides do NOT have to be listed on labels.

wtf?? should i not be cooking food then?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Seems most people blindly eat anything bought in a store without checking what's really in it.

In all the years I've been shopping, I have never ever seen anyone reading the food labels.

Rat poison can be a main ingredient and people would be none the wiser. As long as it tasted good.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
good post, i enjoyed reading the information. i think everyone should read it and avoid food containing whats in the list then maybe if food companies arent making money anymore it might open the way for the healthier lesser known products to have a chance in the market and everyone will benefit

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
You figure this out when you eat to live and stop living to eat.

I know everybody loves a good fat juicy steak and a coke. Or a bag of chips and some grape soda but we gotta be alert. The whole point of this stuff was so we like it, our body starts to crave it, and we unknowingly ingest chemicals necessary to "quell the revolution".

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpringHeeledJack

McDonald's on their nutrition facts thing they're supposed to have up.

McDonald’s Burger 14 Years Later

Info

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by matito

Rat poison can be a main ingredient and people would be none the wiser. As long as it tasted good.

You know why? People dont read anymore.

They have to watch this on TV, or didnt happen.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

People tend to stare at me like I'm crazy when they see me reading a food label.
It's like people have placed their complete confidence in the hands of food companies.
100% trust. No questions asked. Like "Hey the FDA is making sure it's OK for me"

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
What's with the little attack on genetically modified foods in that list? I challenge anyone to show me definitive proof that genetically modified foods lead to ... "severe infertility problems and may even cause the bacteria in your body to produce and release a pesticide in your own gut."

I like how they referenced themselves and other "natural" lifestyle products. The whole "organic" industry is a scam.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by matito
reply to post by RUSSO

People tend to stare at me like I'm crazy when they see me reading a food label.
It's like people have placed their complete confidence in the hands of food companies.
100% trust. No questions asked. Like "Hey the FDA is making sure it's OK for me"

It is very questionable a society that which is characterized by blindly following institutions. One word for them:

Lemmings.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Fantastic thread!

It's a crying shame that only a very small minority of people care and take notice of the poison they're putting inside their bodies. I echo what someone up there ^^ said about no one bothering to read the labels in supermarkets. I read the label of everything I buy and I often feel like people are looking at me like I'm a weirdo for doing so. No offence, but what kind of idiot wouldn't read the label?

The phrase "you are what you eat" is completely true - everything you consume will have a direct effect on your physical and mental wellbeing. Eat bad food and you'll feel bad. Eat good, pure, clean food and you'll feel good, pure and clean.

It makes me laugh when someone turns round and says "well I drink 10 sodas a day and eat nothing but junk and I feel fine!" - people become so used to feeling tired and sluggish and out of sorts, that they think it's the norm. If they completely detoxed their body of all the crap and ate nothing but pure, natural food, they'd be completely shocked at how much energy they have, and how awake, alert and motivated they feel. Any health issues they previously suffered from - no matter how minor, be it headaches, insomnia, stomach troubles, lack of motivation, acne, mood swings - you name it - I'd bet my left boob that it would either become non-existant or would at least be somewhat alleviated.

I have a theory that if we wiped the planet of all this crap we're putting in our bodies, and every single man, woman and child ate only pure, natural food, the world would be a much more civilised and peaceful place to live.
edit on 29-7-2011 by KatieVA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
You figure this out when you eat to live and stop living to eat.

I know everybody loves a good fat juicy steak and a coke. Or a bag of chips and some grape soda but we gotta be alert. The whole point of this stuff was so we like it, our body starts to crave it, and we unknowingly ingest chemicals necessary to "quell the revolution".

You really ARE what you eat.

We never think twice about it and that is always when something goes wrong. When we stop asking questions and just take what is given us? We are processed food people.

The main question is: What we can do to break the “processed people” cycle?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by KatieVA

"well I drink 10 sodas a day and eat nothing but junk and I feel fine!"

Many people refuse to see the long term. That's exactly why many companies do not care to provide quality. When the cumulative effect of all the junk they sell do effect, they are already rich and untouchable.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Food Colors - FD&C Red #40, for example, is linked to behavioral disorders in children. Nearly all artificial food colors are derived from petroleum, and many are contaminated with aluminum.

I can say 100% as a 26 year old adult the certain colourings still make me particularly hyper... always have, i have found for example... if in disneyworld/or universal studios i buy a bag of the "fill your own bag" m&m's i get a little hyper much to the amusement of my family...

when i was a kid things were really bad, skittles, m&m's essentially everything with a coloured shell.... i can only imagine what it does to children long term.. (i was usually banned from consuming such things as 1. they were bad for me 2. me with them was bad for everyone else)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by GonzoSinister

i was usually banned from consuming such things as 1. they were bad for me 2. me with them was bad for everyone else

, Agree with you. My son used to have the same behavior.

The yellow mm's tastes like medicine.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by stoptheinsanity2012

wtf?? should i not be cooking food then?

Yes, eating most if not all of your food raw would be optimal.

If you feel you must cook things, cook them very slowly and on very low heat. If it doesn't go above 118 degrees (or around there) most of the enzymes will survive the process.

Also, you must get organic things... It really is not safe to eat any kind of mass produce vegetable/meat/milk raw.
edit on 7/29/2011 by Universer because: low heat cooking/organic

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I know everybody loves a good fat juicy steak and a coke. Or a bag of chips and some grape soda but we gotta be alert.

Gross!!! Speak for yourself
I've not had soda for years and the idea of drinking something like that makes me want to vomit. I crave a steak every once in a long while, but I don't see why fresh organic grass-fed beef should be in the same sentence as that other stuff. Especially if it is tartare.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Universer

I know everybody loves a good fat juicy steak and a coke. Or a bag of chips and some grape soda but we gotta be alert.

Gross!!! Speak for yourself
I've not had soda for years and the idea of drinking something like that makes me want to vomit. I crave a steak every once in a long while, but I don't see why fresh organic grass-fed beef should be in the same sentence as that other stuff. Especially if it is tartare.

I stopped drinking soda a few years ago and I can say that my quality of life improved. I agree with you about the meat, since natural and without chemical additives.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join