It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any truck drivers here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Long story short: I'm 20 with little experience and I'm sick of being bent over for temp agencies that put me somewhere for a couple weeks then pull me out. The kind of factory work I've been doing is nothing to complain about, but I'm eager to get started on something more "real".

Should I go ahead and go to a truck driving school now even though I'm only 20? Or are there any companies that would hire me and train me off the bat if I signed a contract to stay committed to them for a couple years? I think I can handle the responsibility of it. I'm actually looking forward to it in a weird way.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

i have an idea/ Go to a MOVING company..

a local mover truck is a Class B and ANYONE can drive one --(check STATE laws)

a 24' box truck could give you a GREAT opportunity to learn the roads of your area,, and you get to sleep in your own bed at night,,

expect 14.00 an hour..

i have worked in the past 14.5 hours a day,, for WEEKS..!!!

what do you think?

edit on 7/28/11 by darrman because: love CEDAR POINT!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

That does sound like a good idea. I'll look into it

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

Going "over the road" is not easy for anyone.... If you have any attachments to a place ie. kids,wife,ect. ect. . You will hate it! Most big carriers have training programs. England, Swift, CRST. national carriers like those. BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU ARE SIGNING UP FOR!!!! Some places want you to commit for several years. Being "new" you can expect crappy loads.

I would try a smaller regional carrier in your area. Most want you to wait until you are 21. I have had a class A liscense for 20 plus years. I just recently started attending college to get my business degree. I am doing sales for a trucking company. I wish you luck my friend.

DON'T be a douche bag on the road. Don't let other drivers Pi$$ you off ( they will though). No load is worth loosing your life over.,.. Slow down!!!!

Enjoy the ride!!!! Thats the best part!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I used to drive for a moving Co.

It was a blast,cleaning out ditches with the right side and trimming trees...I loved it !!

Once I backed over a fire hydrant...It didn't leak so we unloaded and got the heck out of there.

May I suggest driving a dump truck...you stay local and it's always different. good luck

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Maybe you could try finding something in the mining industry, where im from they will give you all your training then put you on shift work earning 90k a year, its just extremely repetitive.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Driving OTR is a brutal, thankless, dangerous job.

The pay sounds great...until you break it down to it's hourly equivalent. Once you factor in all the hours you have involved, you'll find that most times it averages out to less than minimum wage.

Most major carriers have a training program but you'll get "starvation wages" until you get some experience. There are driving schools too...but most charge you an arm and a leg to just teach you the basics.

If it sounds like I'm trying to discourage you from going into trucking...I am. We're a 3rd generation trucking family...it's not a lifestyle I would recommend to anybody...not anymore.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
You can make money with a CDL, especially if you have any endorsements, but there are drawbacks. If you are in a relationship, it will likely be strained because you could be gone for a week or longer without seeing your partner. It is hard to eat healthy & get exercise. And a big one is loneliness, but some people enjoy the sollitude.

I think if it is something you are interested in, it's better to do while your younger & there is the fact you get to see our country.

Just go with what feels right to you.

top topics

join