It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planking/Owling/Teapotting means of creating database vault for access by Facial recognition faceboo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
A theory that Perhaps the fads that have come of recent such as the Planking/Owling or Teapotting, could be used to collect pictures of the public to use in order to have an even more in depth profile of peoples lives. Possible fads create different physical angles of the subject that could be used to recognize them in the public eye. What are your thoughts?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I havent heard of these terms? what is planking an owling and all that mean?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I get what you are saying, but 'owling' completely hides said person's face from any recognition.

Perhaps the rest, though.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Thank you I agree, the owling does hide the face, and looks rather stupid to begin with but, it wont be the last, teapotting just shows how silly people will act for a social networking site. Also, I had just come across this.
askmarion.wordpress.com...

That was reported july 20th. Facebook opened its facial recognition tool on 2 days ago with the default option as "on", possibly breaking privacy agreements.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NecroDjinn

Its an internet fad,
en.wikipedia.org...(fad)
i suggest you look up pictures to see it for yourself.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by srbouska

I regret taking the time to look those pics up.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
An interesting idea, and it would be great as a supervillain's plot -- maybe a Doctor Who villain -- but I seriously doubt it. Though there are loads of people partaking, I don't think there are nearly enough to help create a comprehensive database. Basically, I think it would just be too inefficient.

Though, if they're just using it to study generalities of facial expressions under strange circumstances, that might work. It could be helping them model the ways that people change their faces.

But it still seems really inefficient and a poor use of time.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I just watched this video on owling. It does a good job of explaining what it is. It's pretty funny too.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Facebook is just a version of population data gathering... and as we can see its becoming obsolete (kind of soon but hey) so they are moving to the new system by Google ... G+ ...

I bet after they perfect that system up they will make another one popular and then another one and so on and so fourth.

When they get the whole system up and running they will just leave one social network up and running and use the software they created and adapt it to CCTV and other things like that.

new topics

top topics

join