It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

old joker versus new

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
So I got into an interesting discussion earlier about Jack Nicholson as a the joker versus Heath Ledger.
Some like the kill and dance type of joker style like Jack's joker. Others like the asylum insanity of Ledgers joker.

Now I am not trying to detract from either's showing of the joker. Both did a phenomenal job. But it might come down to personal preference. Another poster pointed out that both types are represented in the comic books, the more funny killer or the very dark joker. Me personally, no one can do crazy like Jack. If you can kill someone and dance in a circle around them laughing like crazy, is more crazy to me then the very dark and brooding joker, the killer in the makeup.

So what are your thoughts? Opinions? both great representations? both valid? If there are any hardcore comic fans, maybe they can give a good insight.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I am a fan of the Heath Ledger reading of the Joker. I like the exploration of the darker side of human nature and the nature of humor as a relative aspect of one's point of view.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Jack by a long mile.

Ledger never impressed me.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
OMG, new joker so totally wins, it's not even funny.

Ledger died for his joker role. He literally died it. He lived the role and it made him so depressed he drugged himself to death.

First of all, the most epic trailer for a movie ever produced, which doesn't focus on Batman, the movie is carried by the joker:

He's real, gritty, and isn't a "fake funny crazy," He's a real crazy, which DJ tells me is exactly like the real Dark Knight comic book series.

This is an epic scene from the movie, extremely original:

FINALLY! You cannot get much more epic than this!!!!!!

edit on 28-7-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-7-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I vote for Heath's version of the Joker just over Jack's.

Heath was much more disturbing IMHO and there was a line in the comics, "When bad guys want to scare other bad guys, they start telling Joker stories."

Which to me would be more down Heath's take on the Joker,even his laugh was more scary than funny as opposed to Jack's laugh.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
As much as I loved jack and ledger's turn at it my favorite joker is mark hamill's in the 90's cartoon.

His voice, his inflection, his laugh, it was genius.

For a brilliant turn watch the episode "joker's favor"

edit on 28-7-2011 by Seiko because: fixed link

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Jacks was awesome... But I have to go with Ledger's Joker. He was much creepier and darker.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
What no option for Cesar Romero??? He would lose to Jack and Heath in a second, but cmon at least have the option.

Seriously though, bth have their moments, but I would have to go with the truly dark and crazy Heath Ledger. That was the part of the Joker's personality that always intrigued me. Reading the comics from an early age I was always fascinated with the Joker's demented side, not so much the ha-ha joker side. Its a real shame that we will never get to see that representation again.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Jack's Joker will always hold a special place in my heart.

Ledger's Joker was great too though. I'll always love the way he said, "Why sso sseriousss?" Just so snake-like.

I actually think the younger generation would prefer Ledger, while the older generation would prefer Nicholson, but I may be wrong about that.

Loved Ledger's bank robbery scene! It was classic. But Jack's psychotic cosmetic surgery was unbeatable. It always put a smile on my face!

Jack did warn Heath about the Joker role.
www.nydailynews.com...

"Well," Nicholson told reporters in London early Wednesday, "I warned him."

edit on 28-7-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If you read Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight", you can't see the old movies as anything but a shadow of what a Batman movie should be.

Christopher Nolan gets it. Heath Ledger? As the Joker? Never would of guessed he could do that. He nailed it.

I don't know if The Dark Rises will be any good - I haven't seen anything yet that shows me they can top the last movie.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Frank Miller's Dark Knight is the best thing Miller ever did. It is incredible and sort of turned the comic book world upside down.

Not a fan of Nicholson's Joker and honestly I wasn't a huge fan of Ledger's version either but at the same time Ledger's acting in it was really, really good.

One thing that continues to annoy me is Batman's suit in the new movies. It's not 1989 anymore, there is no reason to have a cowl that is still rubbery and huge like that. It looks like crap, IMO.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The 80s Joker was puffy,. cartoonish, clownish. Exaggerated movements, caberet-dance scenes, outlandsh costumes and gizmos.

The 2000s Joker, quite simply speaking, scared the **** out of me.

The 80s were a gentler, less evil time. And it shows in comparisons like this.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
i found that ledger caught the jokers love/hate of the batman perfectly.

"we need each other."

'what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object"

they are paired. the joker can see the same tormented schizm in the batman that he himself holds dear.
while the batman focuses his into a sharp tool for fighting crime, its only barely contained.

while the joker, well, some men just want to burn it all down.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Partygirl nailed it as always before I could comment. My feelings are similar -- that these characters have more to do with the times than the amazing performances. Pretty interesting.
edit on 7/28/2011 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by origamiandurbanism
Frank Miller's Dark Knight is the best thing Miller ever did. It is incredible and sort of turned the comic book world upside down.

Not a fan of Nicholson's Joker and honestly I wasn't a huge fan of Ledger's version either but at the same time Ledger's acting in it was really, really good.

One thing that continues to annoy me is Batman's suit in the new movies. It's not 1989 anymore, there is no reason to have a cowl that is still rubbery and huge like that. It looks like crap, IMO.

I want to see Frank Miller's Ronin made into a movie. If it's done right, could be pretty awesome.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
As much as I loved jack and ledger's turn at it my favorite joker is mark hamill's in the 90's cartoon.

His voice, his inflection, his laugh, it was genius.

For a brilliant turn watch the episode "joker's favor"

edit on 28-7-2011 by Seiko because: fixed link

Heeehehahahhaa!!

I found myself laughing along with him, long before I realised I was!

That was great

hahaha

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by klenker

The 90s Batman cartoon was great. i think the best of them all. Shame they still don't do reruns. I think Hammill has done other batman himself in another series.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Both were brilliant.

But Jack was Jack and Heath wasn't Heath.

And that's where Heath trumps it for me but only just.

Besides, I'm happy to not pick sides because both were terrific and fitted their respective movies perfectly.

edit on 29/7/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Interesting point. And I agree they are two different genres and hard to compare. But no one does crazy like Jack. heath was generally a nice guy. Which is probably why Jack could handle the role better.
so Heath did really have to step outside of himself to do it.

Jack's is funny on top of creepy. I love the pencil scene with Heath. The cosmetic surgery scene with Jack was creepy also. But he had funny lines like: Never rub another man's rhubarb

I realize the differences when Jack one was more comic book standards in that he is the way he is because of falling into toxic sludge
Heath is more crazy and dark because his father slashed his face. I think the two different descriptions describe the two different ideals.

Now I wonder how Nicholson would of done doing a the darker joker.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Heath is more crazy and dark because his father slashed his face..

I'm pretty sure he was making that up, doesn't he tell like three different stories about how he got the scars in the movie?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join