It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Suggestions?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
A "book" will probably bring one closer to science, instead of god.

You want a quick trip to god and back?

Try some peyote.

Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129th

As for The Shack:

I have a couple of devout Christians who are good childhood friends of mine. As any good Christian would do, they either consciously or subconsciously try and sneak a little proselytization in on me now and again. The last attempt was to send me the book as a gift. Being a friend, I read it.

It WAS a pretty good book. Full of things that will tug on the heartstrings of the human condition. Gets you into that soft spot and then tries to inject belief systems when you aren't ready

It claims to be based on real life experiences. Maybe it is. I wouldn't tell anyone they are lying about their personal experiences. People don't generally do that to a great degree...

What it may be retelling is an individual's journey out of body to what is commonly referred to as a consensus reality. Do a little google search with an open mind

While it may have seemed nice a for a day or two; who would really want to be stuck in a mirror of our reality (nicer, as it may be), with periodic visits from some higher being, like a drug you look forward to? This world seemed great for a while too, didn't it? I'm sure you'd get bored with the former, all the same.

If this is your idea of the afterlife, though, have fun enjoying it for a while
Maybe I'll see you after your next time around
Hehe.

edit on 2-8-2011 by MyrTheSeeker because: Clarity

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Plus she'd have Zero fun!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc4094af1348.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by deanGI5

God is not a mindset that we discover within ourselves but the guiding hand that allows us to discover our true divine purpose.

Our real purpose is not about what job we end up in, the colour or model of the car we drive, the amount of money in our pockets, it is the eternal light that guides us home, home being a place we feel comfortable, unchallenged and pure of happiness.

The pursuit of happiness is the pursuit of God. The pursuit of God is the divine purpose.

It is satanic to consider yourself God or to consider yourself equal to God, this is the very reason God cast lucifer out of heaven!

Somebody else mentioned earlier that the op did not state which God.

That doesn't matter because God, YahWeh, Allah are all the same one God. The abrahamic religions are all based upon the same stories, all have the same God, with names of prophets altered due to geographical circumstances.

Jesus in bible is Jesus of Nazareth
Jesus in the Qu'ran is Prophet Eisa

Peace to all, and may God be with you!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I suggest "The Way of the Shaman" By Michael Harner, and anything written by Terrance McKenna. SHe might also want to check out the this Study conducted by John Hopkins, www.hopkinsmedicine.org...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I just finished this and I feel wonderful about suggesting it. Bernard is a scientist that started in the seminary.

The God Theory by Bernard Haisch

"A remarkable discovery has emerged in astrophysics: that key properties of the Universe have just the right values to make life possible. Most scientists prefer to explain away this uniqueness, insisting that a huge, perhaps infinite, number of unseen universes must therefore exist, each randomly different from the other. That way ours only appears special because we could not exist in any of the other hypothetical universes.

I propose the alternative that the special properties of our universe reflect an underlying intelligence, one that is consistent with the Big Bang and Darwinian evolution. Both views are equally logical and beyond proof. However exceptional human experiences and accounts of mystics throughout the ages do suggest that we live in a purposeful universe. In The God Theory and The Purpose-Guided Universe: Believing In Einstein, Darwin, and God I speculate on what that purpose might be… what that purpose means for our lives… how it might explain the riddle of evil."

Bernard uses science to explain "GOD"

"What I propose is an infinite conscious intelligence -- so let's call it God -- who has infinite potential, whose ideas become the laws of physics of our universe and others, and whose purpose in so doing is the transformation of potential into experience. The difference between being able to do something and actually doing it is vast: making it happen, experiencing what it feels like, savoring the sensations are the tremendous difference between theory and practice. Playing the game is far more satisfying than reading the rules.

Astrophysicist Sir James Jeans wrote in the 1930s, "...the universe begins to look more like a great thought than like a great machine." So, too, I am proposing, in The God Theory, that ultimately it is consciousness that is the origin of matter, energy, and the laws of nature in this universe and all others that may exist. And the purpose is for God to experience his potential. God's ideas and abilities become God's experience in the life of every sentient being. What greater purpose could there be for each of us humans than that of creating God's experience? God experiences the richness of his potential through us because we are the incarnations of him in the physical realm."

That's what it's all about.

edit on 2-8-2011 by summerbreeze.ddp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

"The Pilgrim's Progress", by John Bunyan.

Author: Bunyan, John (1628-1688)
Description: Pilgrim's Progress is a great work of Christian literature. Originally composed in the 17th century, this spiritual allegory has entertained and delighted innumerous readers for over 300 years. Part I tells of "Christian" and his journey to "Celestial City;" Part II tells of the journey of Christian's wife Christiana and their children to Celestial City. The two parts work together as a unified whole, which describes and depicts the believer's life and struggles. Indeed, given the easy style of the book, readers of all ages can understand the spiritual significance of the depictions in the story. However, Pilgrim's Progress does not simply instruct readers with spiritual allegories; it entertains them as well, through Bunyan's creative story telling. Enjoyable and spiritually instructive, Pilgrim's Progress is highly recommended.

Tim Perrine
CCEL Staff Writer
www.ccel.org...

edit on 8/2/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: external quote

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

the old testament shows god's wrath and how noone listens even with such brutality.
the new testament teaches about his son ,his kindness and his crucifixion.

i also recomend www.theblackvault.com then go to FOIA.DOCS then to INDEX then to PARASYCHOLOGY

then PSYCHOTRONICS. that is a long read,very hard to understand. If you manage to begin understanding what it teaches i think you will be closer to god. The explanation that everything has a farthest possible boundary,and if you understand everything and its boundarys and what is inside of those boundarys you are one step closer to understanding god.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
"'___'" by Dr. Rick Straussman...

The closest thing to GOD you'll ever get...

So far........

Regards.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Print out every page from this thread, bind it together and give it to her. It will be the most insightful book she will read, from a hundred different perspectives.

Learning God from one perspective is a bad, close minded idea.

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join