It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Suggestions?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
If she wants to know God then she needs to look inside.

This is the best book I have ever read:

In The Dark Places Of Wisdom

The other god, although powerful, ain't got nuthin' on the real thing we all are.

cheers

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I asked the universe what the truth was and about a week later, under strange conditions, I found "Conversations with God" by Neale Donald Walsh.

when I opened the book to a random page, the first sentence I read was "You are holding this book in answer to your call". I couldn't breath for a second.

Interestingly enough, other people have asked the universe what the truth is and have had deeply religious experiences as a result. Experiences based in and of the Bible.

So I have no idea what really happens when you ask the universe for the truth. Maybe everything is the truth and it sends you the one that will work for you.

Anyways, one word of advice. Follow your own feelings about what to believe. I wouldn't suggest basing your conception of God on what others say he is.

Good Luck

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
And i cant think of one.

.serious.? I will give you a hint.

There is only one book that is written by God that I known of. As matter of fact, this book spreads all over the world. You know which one I am talking about. It's about whether people want to learn about basic instructions before leaving earth or not.

whiteblack

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Dan Millman's peaceful warrior series...great starter series that bases its objectives around simply having faith rather than promoting one specific religion. Even to an avid spiritual reader this series has some very enlightening information.

Another I would strongly suggest would be untethered soul, can't remember the author at the moment.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by brianmg5

I asked the universe what the truth was and about a week later, under strange conditions, I found "Conversations with God" by Neale Donald Walsh.

when I opened the book to a random page, the first sentence I read was "You are holding this book in answer to your call". I couldn't breath for a second.

Interestingly enough, other people have asked the universe what the truth is and have had deeply religious experiences as a result. Experiences based in and of the Bible.

So I have no idea what really happens when you ask the universe for the truth. Maybe everything is the truth and it sends you the one that will work for you.

Anyways, one word of advice. Follow your own feelings about what to believe. I wouldn't suggest basing your conception of God on what others say he is.

Good Luck

Same thing happened to me with Neale, i was drawn to it in Waterstones, the conversations with god are magical, please read these books, whether you believe this guy is talking to god or not, the message is still awesome.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Get your sister to Google the works of Ayn Rand, a Russian author. Philisophically challenging, soul-searching stuff that ultimately teaches us to think of no.1. I'm not saying it's right, but.....

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Here's an odd answer for you, but I want you to take it seriously.

How many critical people in your life, besides family, did you meet by just walking up and asking "Give me information on you." or "Give me information on how to act around you." Probably none.

Try this:

Left Behind by Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim Lahaye - Christian Fantasy (10 book series)

The writing is phenomenal, the characters real and rich. Starts out with your main characters being non-believers and walks their progress to becoming Christian through the devastation and tribulation that came with the Apocolypse. Emotional and mentally arousing, plus a fine read. It's an amazing starting point for the curious as the two gents writing the books take Christianity pretty seriously and attempt to deliver it to the reader in an entertaining and enlightening way.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

This is the only book /s I would recommend too- Neales was a cool god

But its all bogus- god/s are a figment of our imagination.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Tell her to wait until she Dies and not to worry about it until then and just live life. Depending on your beliefs or lack there of, you shouldnt need to try and get closer. If you believe then you already know and are content, if you dont then you are happy learning what you can with the time you have from existing knowledge and your own imagination, if you are ignorant then you dont care about science, religion or anything which according to the saying is also bliss lol. If you really want some sort of spiritual experience then do some mushrooms.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RisenAngel77

Originally posted by Balkan
The bible? Btw, you didn't say which God?

(2nd blessed line)
edit on 28-7-2011 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

The bible is corrupted, that is horrible advice.

OP. Tell her to google starseeds and research ascension and being one with oneself.

How is that horrible advice the OP asks about a book that gets you closer to God, not closer to oneself or the fake big bang theory

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

As for the bible, its a little too heavy for her. As far as the know yourself thread, she would need an example from a book on how to know yourself. As for koran, no thanks. Anything that has to dowith enlightenment, union with God, interfaith, tips n tricks from all paths that help for a primarily christian-mystical typebackgnd.

I think my suggestion will definitely fit the criteria I have underlined: The six book series by Jane Lindskold starting with Through Wolf's Eyes. It covers the travels of Firekeeper, who had been raised by wolves, as a wolf, and the encounters she has with various human and animal cultures from about the age of 14 to approximately age 22.

I was especially impressed by her reaction to a culture that would have made her the grand high spokesperson of the gods if she had let them, fourth book, Wolf Captured. Not to spoil it, though, I will just say, I was very impressed with the handling of multiculturalism and conflict-resolution.

edit on 29-7-2011 by pthena because: Just can't seem to stop adding to my recommendation

edit on 29-7-2011 by pthena because: That and spelling corrections

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Krishna is the only divine intelligence that has any baring on my consciousness. It's mind blowing and beyond the intellectual world. Get her a Bhagavad-gita (song of God) version: "As It Is" by his Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Here is a great starting point. I discovered Krishna in food, of all things. It blew me away...

www.krishna.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Crazy Love by Francis Chan

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
"The Key" by Whitley Strieber,the message is great:
The kingdom of heaven lies within,we all are fragments of the same thing.
Jesus remembered what he was when he was here and tried to teach people of the lost science of the soul that the great race that preceeded us had knowledge of but his message was corrupted and turned into a religion.
You can gain ascension by meditating on physical sensation.
Good and Evil both serve God.
God is looking for companions not supplicants,our purpose is to become God,to be a worthy companion to enhance ourselves to that level and share all our experiences with all.
We are blind on Earth as you can only change when you are in this state.
We are a fallen race.
The part of our minds that had access to higher energetic levels has been switched off as we went to war with God in a past age and thought of ourselves as and tried to be separate from God.
There is only free will in God,the free will of the fallen is slavery.
We are imprisoned on Earth and this planet is called dead forever until every single one of us has made the transition to a radiant being.
When you see a U.F.O. you see a prison guard(forty years after landing on the moon we have been pushed back to the close proximity of the planet;And in contrast forty years after the Wright brothers we had jet engines,funny how all other technology moves forward except getting off the planet and expanding into space and when it is the single most important subject of our survival from extinction)
But our enemies are also our friends,the weight lifter adds more weight to give him more resistance to make him stronger-that is why evil also serves God.
The secret governments that run the world are mostly agents of the enemy but also serve God,their intention is push us so hard we will eventually wake up-everything is a test.Part of the weight lifter strategy.
Mankinds place in the universe is to be taken,nothing will be given.The Most powerful governments in the world have been threatened by the enemy that if they ever divulge U.F.O. secrets then they may well likely destroy the planet overnight and that's why people have died to keep the secret.But it is a test and discreet defiance is the road that should be trodden not the one of secrecy.
Secrecy is the road to our undoing.
It also said if one man could free himself from all fear then we would all be free,a hard task given the fact that if you touch a microbe it will recoil-that's how deep this world has fallen.

I hope your sister does'nt go looking for God and finds religion instead.
Above all always remain objective and question your mind about the reality of God-the truth is out there somewhere,actually i apologise look inward for insight.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

You can probably steer her in the direction of where to read in the bible, the books that are more straightforward and easier to understand. Aside from that these are the most memorable to me and many have already been mentioned for good reason.
Pursuit of God, AW Tozer
Mere Christianity, CS Lewis
Perhaps on a less spirtual level and more practical/earthly but nevertheless includes God I have to reccomend Power of positive thinking, Rev. Norm Vincent Peale This book was life-changing for me.
The books that I can think of that are novel/story types would be The Celestine prophecy; (the chapter in there on human behaviour was very memorable) and Hinds feet on high places, Hannah Hurnard

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dreadblitz

"Quantum Physics did it for me, the unexplained fact that we are atoms (99% empty) and still being held together is crazy to me... what keeps us together, with meditation we can travel to other locations anywhere in the universe, God is definitely a mystery but has to exist in my opinion"

Indeed, consider this...

And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. (literally hold together)
(Col. 1:17)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Anthony1138

What my sister is longing for is Union with God to merge the rain drop with the Ocean, to slip into the Absolute and its an inner longing of the soul. I went through the exact same thing when i was much younger. Only a direct experience quenches the thirsts of the soul and heart.

Reading about God and studying religions helped me to get closer to God by removing obstacles and seeing ignorance for what it is. Books in general have been a staple onmy own path and motivated me to look within

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Mine started with Bob Monroe's 'Journeys out of body'. I got the personal record of an individual's years of out of body experiences and toward the end he is describing things that many would consider 'divine', but I simply call it the non-physical universe (true reality, consciousness). This led to a physicist that helped substantiate Bob's claims and prove them to be real experiences. His name is Thomas Campbell and he provides a scientific approach to explaining 'the divine', the non-physical universe, the One consciousness (god?), why we are here, where we are going, etc.. You can find his lectures on youtube and his book trilogy at his website. Just google his name. The trilogy is called 'My Big TOE' (theory of everything). His research is based in science and personal experiences of his own after having learned through Bob Monroe how to go out of body (separating consciousness from the physical body) himself. If you are the type of person that would rather understand some things logically and know there is something else after this, rather than simply basing it on belief or faith, this is the track to go down.

This is basically science providing evidence (through the research they did in the 70s which eventually paved the way for the birth of the Monroe Institute) for a reality that is more fundamental than the one we live in (more real, our true home) and for the case of surviving physical death.
edit on 29-7-2011 by spacemanjupiter because: garmmar

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join