It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Suggestions?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by angus1745
You and your sister sound kind of flaky.

You want people here to recommend a book that will futher indoctrinate your sister into the backward childish superstition called religion?

This is such utter trolling it isnt even funny. Do you realise what website you are posting this on? is it not clear to you from reading other threads that nonsense like this will only provoke mostly negativity here??

My advice to you and your sister, if you are on the level and not just trying to ' stir the pot ' is to take this asinine question to some Christian forum or some site where there might actually be some proper religious scholars who take this hooey as seriously as yourself.

edit* I spoke to soon. Reading some of the responses I see we have plenty of religious whack-jobs here on ATS. No need to go elsewhere. Stay right here where you all like it best, annoying the athiests.

edit on 28-7-2011 by angus1745 because: additional

On a site where people talk about their beliefs in many things that they have absolutely no proof for, that's a little rude of you isn't it? You might want to pause, reflect and understand that the whack job just may be you. Are you a reptilian? So many here believe in them. Are you from the Galactic Federation? It's accepted by many here. Grow up and accept the fact other people have other beliefs than you and have exactly the same right to follow them. Sheeesh

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Anything by CS Lewis or JRR Tolkien.
The Alchemist(already mentioned)

Doing yoga helps.( Kundalini specifically )

Paradise Lost.

Living Budda living Christ.

Albert Einstein's writings .

Interacting with nature is a pretty damned surefire way to start "seeing it".

Joe Campbell's Hero with a thousand faces.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Errr - you want suggestions on a book on getting closer to God?

The Bible comes to mind.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Conversations with God, Neale Walsh

It was a good book for me after I left the Christian church...after that well it was all down hill from there...broadened my mind...in fact maybe it won't bring her closer haha.

I'm not really sure though what you mean bring her closer to the christian god? the universe as god (as I see it) ... the wrathful god? reading the bible should instill enough fear to drive her back into the arms of that god...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Get her the book "Kama Sutra" and i bet she will be screaming ,,, oh my god , oh my god, oh my god.
That i can guarantee.

edit on 29-7-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

"Story" by Steven James

ISBN 10: 0-8007-3113-1
or
ISBN 978-0-8007-3113-7

The ISBN's are both the same book, but one is the newer 13 digit format. Either one will get you the same book.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
better yet

give her a blank book, and a pen.

know yourself, you will know god

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Excellent, I was going to say have her look inside of herself and forget about organized religion.

Organized religion of every kind seems good for one thing, control.

Spirituality is between one person and God, as it should be, imo.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

As a student of religion and a recovering Catholic only one book came to mind as I read your post; the Upanishads.

Said to be the oldest scripture on the planet - about 5000 years old - it is not what you would expect from a scripture. It is Buddhist in origin and is a collection of stories, there is no begatting and begotting going on for pages at a time and it is the easiest of all scriptures to understand and to take to heart. If I were forced to summarize I would say that the message was that there is a spark of God inside of each of us, and to my way of thinking that is as pure as it is simple. Ponderous it is not, enjoyable it is.

Now as to the bible... (oh here we go, first thing in the morning on my third day on this site!) In the fourth century AD the emperor Constantine - a pagan Roman emperor - made a deal with the Catholic Church. At the time the Catholic Church was a relatively smaller sect of the many, many Christian sects at the time. And at that time there was no canonized bible, just a lot of loose scriptures floating around. The various Christian sects were gaining in prominence and threatened the longevity of the then pagan Roman Empire. Constantine had the solution though.

The Deal; If the Catholic Cardinals and Archbishops would meet in Nicea and decide which books were to be included and which books were to be excluded (These books came to be known as the Apocrypha.) Rome would produce - so to speak - the first canonized bible and recognize the Catholic Church as the official church of the Roman Empire. Now most of us understand today that when someone is an editor he (they) will also make suggestions to the author for changes, and knowing that being published probably depends on agreeing to these changes, most authors will usually agree to them. In this case the authors of the various scriptures were no longer with us and this served to make the editorial process more smooth and much quicker. The end result? We now have a Bible in which almost none of Jesus teaching - what he said - are reproduced, save a few parables. The nuns in Catholic school told me that Jesus only taught in parables, but about thirty seconds consideration shows this to be highly unlikely. I mean would you drop everything and follow someone who spoke only in riddles? No one followed Nostradamus, and his quattrains were nothing but riddles. Similarly there is no record in the bible of where Jesus went between the ages of 13 and 30, though some compelling evidence exists that he went to India, and studied and taught there during that time.

But the real problems with the Bible start when you consider what the Catholics did one year after they received this Roman stamp of approval. As I said before the Catholics were a relatively small sect at the time, but once they were the official Religion of the now Holy Roman Empire the clerics set about destroying all scriptures which had been excluded. That's right they held book burnings for centuries on end, but they didn't stop there. During the same time they hunted down and exterminated opposing Christian sects. Of course the guys in the red and black robes did not grab up the sword and take to the streets murdering non-Catholics, they simply declared the next victims to be heretical and sent the Crusaders to do it for them. This went along rather well - unless you were one who refused to convert of course - until the time came to deal with the Cathars.

In the case of the Cathars who had no weapons and kept no money for themselves, the Pope decided to send Saint Bernard - yes that's where the name of the dog breed came from - to look them over and report back. Upon returning St. Bernard reported to the Pope that this was one of the most Christian groups he had ever encountered and recommended they be left alone as they were truly doing God's work. Not to be swayed, the Pope sent the Crusaders in, however there was a problem. The Knights Templar, who had been doing the Popes (plural) dirty work in this area for centuries, refused this job. Why? Well, we will come to that.

Anyway, this was no hill for a climber, and the Pope - I keep trying to think of the Pope's name, I want to say Pope Innocent, but I don't think that is right. This is all from memory this morning; coffee before bibliography, you know - was a climber in the true sense. The Pope simply contracted another group of knights to do the job for him and this is what we know today as the Albigensian Crusade. When they arrived in the Langue Doc area of what is now Southwest France the knights found that the Cathar's neighbors - who also were not armed - thought so highly of the Cathars that they hid them away to protect them. No matter, the knights were there to do a job and they did it, they just killed everyone down to the last woman and child.

Indeed, if you go to the Langue Doc region in the southwest of France even today they still maintain that Jesus wife and his children landed there shortly after the crucifixion and it was the descendants of the Magdalen and the Christ who formed not only the Cathars, but supposedly the Merovingian Dynasty which is said to be the actual bloodline of Christ.

This is just one story of the many in which the Catholic Vatican exercised their new found power to purge the planet of opposing Christian viewpoints. And I know that some of you are about to rail about Dan Brown and the Da Vinci Code, but it should be pointed out that all Danny boy did was read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" by Bagent Leigh and Lincoln and regurgitate it into a bestseller fiction. If you read Holy Blood, Holy Grail for yourself, and then read the Dan Brown novel I think you will quickly come to the same conclusion I did. I promise you the story is much more compelling than the little thriller that Brown squeezed out of it, but I will warn you that Holy Blood, Holy Grail is a large and ponderous book which requires a serious dedication to read from cover to cover, and some previous knowledge is probably a good idea too.

So why did the Templar's refuse to carry out the Popes orders on this one occasion? Thirty-five years of reading has shown me that the Templars core is where this Merovingian/Christ bloodline finally found it's home. Was Mary Magdalen indeed Christ's wife? Some say that the wedding in the Bible where Jesus performed the miracle of the wine was actually Christ and the Magdalen's own wedding. Sara, it is rumored, was the name of Christ's daughter. Was the Magdalen a whore as some say? No, she was a mystic and some say from Nubia, the prostitute label was a result of a mistranslation of one word, and in light of all this one wonders if it could have been accidental at all.

Now we have only discussed one edit of the Bible here, and there have been many, So far I hadn't even mentioned the King James edit, which is the version most people have these days. And yet many non-Catholic Christians today thump on the Bible loud and hard and proclaim that every word in the Bible is true, and that God wrote it through his appointed messengers. This may have been true at one point, but unless God suddenly wanted all Christians who were not Catholic violently culled from the planet this argument holds no water whatsoever. Whenever I meet a Bible-thumper my first question to them is "Are you a Catholic?" "No" is the answer that invariably comes back. "Then why would you ever want to believe in a book that a bunch of Catholic power brokers all but wrote?" The response is always slow as they search through their religious programming and can only come up with platitudes about how God is all powerful and how he made the authors write the correct things. Evidently, according to their theory, God then turned a blind eye to all the evil and genocide that the authors' church embarked on for centuries.

These are folks who have never given any real thought to their religious beliefs. I think Jim Marrs said it best in Oliver Stone's film JFK. "This is Louisiana chief; how do you know who your daddy is? Because your momma told you so." In my experience most Christian take this same attitude towards their religion. They have inherited their beliefs from their mother and father and that is good enough for them. Of course most times their mothers and fathers inherited their religion from their mothers and fathers, and on it goes.

To me, spirituality must be a personal experience. I believe that all sprirtual roads lead back to God but that you must decide for yourself which road that is. I also believe that following blindly after a group - the Vatican - which concerns itself more with empire building and wealth than helping our fellow man is not faith, it is loyalty with blinders on. Considering anything without looking at the history behind it is no consideration at all.

So let us adjourn religion class today. Be thankful you were not popped on the skull with Father Mayer's class ring the way I was during mine, but then again I was not educated during my religion class, only indoctrinated. I have a couple more bombs to drop on you, like what "Amen" means and the big secret of the Freemasons which is withheld until you reach 32nd degree and are also deemed capable of dealing with it. But those areother lengthy tomes waiting to be written. I feel I have jerked knots in enough tails for one morning.

Let me end by saying once again that the Upanishads seem to me to be the most straightforward and personal scripture on the planet and I would highly recommend them to anyone and everyone. And they threaten no other religious belief. Isn't that refreshing?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

in fact maybe it won't bring her closer haha.

I read it.

I find the older i GET, THE CLOSER TO GOD i GET,
OOPS CAPS

edit on 013131p://bFriday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

haha...closer by default right?

lol

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker11
reply to post by Stormdancer777

haha...closer by default right?

lol

exactly

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I suggest an encyclopedia. It's pretty heavy so you could probably bludgeon her to death with it. That's about as close to god as you're going to get from a book.
edit on 29-7-2011 by ScousePhil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but shall have everlasting Life. - John 3:16

That's the best start that I can offer. Read the New Testament.

It is perfectly fine to explore other faiths/beliefs, but it is important to find God for yourself and get grounded in what you believe. Only God can reveal himself to you, and only God knows what will make Him real to you. Organized religion is okay to give you some sort of foundation to start from.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know there are a lot of problems with organized religion, but there are problems in any organization created by people, religious or not.

Tell her to read the New Testament - pick the version that makes the most sense to her (I prefer the King James, but that's just me) and give her the blank book and a pen. God will speak to her if she allows herself to listen.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
"The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis is a good story with some simple yet deep insights on the subject.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I can think of two good books that every Christian should have in their collection. The first would be The Kolbrin and the second is The Gospel of the Kailedy. These are two books that have not had outside influence added to them. The Gospel of the Kailedy is just another testament of Jesus (Yehshua) or Joshua in english. The word Jesus is still in its Latin translation IESUS with just the 'I" changed to 'J'. Hope this helps

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

neale donald walsh,it restored a bit of faith in me.

Wow, you beat me to the punch, Doctorswife. "The New Revelations" by Neale Donald Walsh.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

As others said, the Bible.
Before she reads one word, for starters, she can just 'ask God' about Himself.... Something like this should be good for a start....

I am asking the God of the universe, the God above all Gods: I want to know you better and be closer to you. Please show yourself to me.

Also.... before one reads the Bible, they should pray:

God, show me what you want me to see. Speak to me through this book.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Get her the book "Kama Sutra" and i bet she will be screaming ,,, oh my god , oh my god, oh my god. That i can guarantee.

LMAO!!!!!

OMG, you're killing me........

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

God lives in each and every one of us. HE communicates with EVERYONE, on a daily basis! The problem is: DISTRACTIONS. People have J.O.B.s, bills, kids, television, the devil, etc, etc that keeps them from HEARING God's soft, subtle voice.

My advice to your sister....grab her B.I.B.L.E. and dig in. Tell her, not to read it like a book, but like an INSTRUCTION MANUAL. Tell her to grab a note book and begin finding nuggets of truth to chomp on. I.E.: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" or "yet, in all these things, i am MORE THAN a conqueror"; and, God shall supply all my NEED according to HIS riches in glory, by Christ Jesus".

The B.I.B.L.E. is filled with SPIRITUAL truths, to HELP us in this journey, on this planet. It is a guide to victorious living and not a book filled with do's and don'ts.

If your sister is SERIOUS about getting closer to God....it will have to be THROUGH HIS WORD. It requires MANY hours of studying and dedication. It's not going to come over night...but rather, over time. There is no such thing as 'reading' it; it MUST BE STUDIED. Investigate it. Ask questions. The more you dig, the deeper God will ALLOW you to go. HE WILL NOT open up HIS word to those that do not SEEK! SEEK and you WILL find; KNOCK and the door SHALL BE opened!

Tell her to forget the religion...and build the relationship! If God REVEALS something to you.....chew on it....TIL YOU GET IT! Once you GET IT...then you'll get "it". Got it?

Oh, and tell her to purchase a study B.I.B.L.E. like the New King James version and some highlighting markers and DIG in!

And, for those of you that say: The B.I.B.L.E. was written by man, and changed 15,000 times...i say...AND? Is God not SMARTER than man? Has man created the heavens and the earth, and all that dwell in it? So, do you think man would be smart enough to DISTORT God's PROMISES? HAHAHAHA I hardly think so!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by meathed
Get her the book "Kama Sutra" and i bet she will be screaming ,,, oh my god , oh my god, oh my god.
That i can guarantee.

edit on 29-7-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

Or the joy of sex.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join