It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Suggestions?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Why do Xians call Jesus .. Jesus? The letter J did not exist before the last 200 years.

Many people in the past were called Christs.

Mohammad and Zoroaster were two of them, just two, there were many. Do your research

This God myth was created by Men in power who wanted to rule and reign over

everyone else. People are so quick to become prisoners to a so called god, why is that?

edit on 30-7-2011 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Wants to get closer to god aye...

Well, tell her to take up extreme sports... she'll get closer to god soon enough...

Or she could actually go out and do something like volunteer to care for the homeless or save the whales... Work with volunteer groups and do something good to bring her closer...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
As some of you guys here on ats my know about me and the countless personal experiences i have posted about when it comes to finding God or the Absolute truth.

Well now my dillema is that my younger sister, 26, wants me to giveher a basic book that describes sort of a how to guide to get closer to God. And i cant think of one.

Here i am studying nonduality, gnostics, plato, majamudra, desert fathers and all the deepest philosopho-mystical-theological hardcoreness i can find and having myself all these profound insights and God like experiences but this request completely stumps me.

As for my sis, shes been to church and likes to read all those stupid true blood and eclipse vamp book series. So someting more along the lines where you can follow a character as they get closer to God would probably be best. Shes has experience when relaxing in a bath to go deep within and in letting go and has also had fleeting mystical experiences before......... just as somewhat of a background.

Any suggestions?

Does she want to create her own personal notion of what God is, and then snuggle up to that, or does she want to know what God can and can't possibly be, and then deal with what can and can't possibly be her actual existential relationship with it (Him)? The answer will vary significantly depending on what she's trying to accomplish. If it's the former, then let her go nuts in Barnes and Nobles some afternoon, and she'll find the book that "speaks to her". On the other hand, if it's the latter, then good luck on that. The truth isn't going to make her very optimistic about finding a way to cuddle up to what God really is, and why God brought all of this into existence.

God exists, and God does have a reason for initiating all of this. That said, the human being - while being central to God's plan - isn't the end that God is pursuing. The end can't be achieved without the human being's contribution, but there's no true relationship involved in that contribution. In short, there's no getting closer to God for the human being. No more than any one step you take in getting from one place to another can possibly get "closer" to you than any other step you take in that journey. Each step either gets you closer to your destination or it doesn't, and this is how the corporeal and post-corporeal human being relates to the being that initiated our entire reality.

Get closer to the human race as a whole, help it manifest what God needs it to manifest as a whole, and in that way, you get as close to God as a person can get. And ultimately, you may even get to be a cell in the body (metaphorically speaking) of God's most cherished existential expression. No guarantees, but at least you'll be in the running.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
For the record, I'm not an atheist, and I haven't read the whole lot of the bible, but I mean, I started with Genesis and that entire book totally blew. I mean, c'mon, how am I meant to believe some random story featuring a dude that was hundreds of years old and went on whacky adventures, featuring a massive boat and? How is crap like that enlightening? How is it life changing material?

The only thing that's cool about the bible is that it has some totally black metal elements going for it, like the angels mentioned in revelations that blow trumpets and bring about a crapload of wrath. That stuff is so krieg.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The Book of Led Zeppelin

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
JESUS CHRIST IS GOD, LORD AND SAVIOUR !!!!

The ONLY way to get closer to GOD is to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Absolute !

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 1king2rulethemall

Err No.. Threatening Children with HELL if they don't bow down to God, is abuse 101. You don't

Threaten people with hell in order to gain respect. Respect doesn't work that way, and if you

Think that's what a loving Father would do to his own, then this hologram is more messed up

than most people realise.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
If you had actually read the Bible you would plainly understand that your statements are completely incorrect.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenFree'___'

I already said this www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 1king2rulethemall

Unfortunately i have read the bible 2ce from cover to cover, so your comment only

makes you look blundering silly man full of silly assumptions, and still trying to ram

your belief system down everyone's throats. Maybe you need to pray more.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
First of all....... I sincerely apologise for upsetting/ offending you. Re-reading my post, I could have worded it differently so as not to be inflammatory. I am sorry about that.

The reason that I assumed that you hadn't read The Holy Scriptures was because GOD makes it clear that He does NOT desire ANYONE to go to hell. He doesn't ' threaten ' hell.
People CHOOSE to go to hell by refusing to say sorry to GOD and pretending that Jesus isn't who He claims that He is - the One and only true GOD.

Hell was never meant for mankind. But it has become a consequence for mankind.

The Bible is clear about that.

Also I am NOT forcing my beliefs on anyone. Peoples choices are their own. I am just trying to provide some factual information to assist the OP and his thread.

Again..... sorry about the upset that I have caused.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironjustice
reply to post by ren1999

That would be the 'connection' being made by 'skeptics' to 'gods' of old in Greece and sht ? I've read about it but have written it off to spiritual warfare and stick to my understanding of Christ.

Christians say that profanity is a sin. If you're going to be a good Christian in front of us, it is a good idea for you not to say sh*t.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Forget about books period, just be a good person and do good things.

Live each day to the fullest and be thankful, understanding and compationate.

People can read, think, and preach all they want but actions speak louder than words.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ren1999

"Christians say that profanity is a sin. If you're going to be a good Christian in front of us, it is a good idea for you not to say sh*t."

Swearing a sin ? I never heard that one before. Could you give me a cite ?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Try this: download.jw.org...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ironjustice

Here is a link where some Christians will cite Biblical references saying that you should not use profanity if you are a Christian.
erlc.com...
edit on 31-7-2011 by ren1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
She should determine what kind of God she thinks could exist before reading a book. Still she may not want to just follow a book. I can tell her there is no real authority on god.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
The teachings of Don Juan, or anything by Carlos Castaneda:

The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge,
A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan,
Journey to Ixtlan: The Lessons of Don Juan,
Tales of Power, (Autumn 1971 to the 'Final Meeting' with don Juan Matus in 1973.)
The Second Ring of Power, . (Meeting his fellow apprentices after the 'Final Meeting'.)
The Eagle's Gift, (Continuing with his fellow apprentices; and then alone with La Gorda.)
The Fire From Within, . (Don Juan's 'Second Attention' teachings through to the 'Final Meeting' in 1973.)
The Power of Silence: Further Lessons of Don Juan, . (The 'Abstract Cores' of don Juan's lessons.)
The Art of Dreaming, (Review of don Juan's lessons in dreaming.)
Magical Passes: The Practical Wisdom of the Shamans of Ancient Mexico, (Body movements for breaking the barriers of normal perception.)
The Wheel of Time: Shamans of Ancient Mexico, Their Thoughts About Life, Death and the Universe, 1998. (Selected quotations from the first eight books.)
The Active Side of Infinity, (Memorable events of his life.)

His books changed my life.

His books were immense.You start to get the feeling that something so intense was not concocted in his imagination.I read most of his works and they have a connection to modern day phenomena.
Inorganic beings = Grays.
The Eagles enamations = the light and how to escape it.The light is the fate of sleeping man.awakened man makes his own light.
Desert world-many abuctees report of going to a world covered in sand-the realm of the inorganic beings.
Gain your own energy through mental exercise.Enough energy and substance/radiance to escape mental slavery and take what is yours.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
God's Debris by Scott Adams (the creator of Dilbert)

It's a little thought provoking exercise in philosophy vice a "real" religious tome but as such it truly fulfills its purpose.

It's about a delivery man who brings a package to an old man. The old man invites him in for a chat which turns into a very deep discussion on the nature of God and the Universe.

It's a small little novella and can be read in one sitting (depending on your reading ability) but it is very deep and thought provoking.

I'd suggest anyone pick it up whether they are devoutly religious (but not extremists) or atheist (again, but not extremists) or anyone in between with an open mind.

--Apex

Edit to add: Official free ebook download of God's Debris from the publisher with an explanation by the author: www.andrewsmcmeel.com...
edit on 1-8-2011 by Apex Predator because: added link to free ebook version from the author and publisher.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by hqokc
I have 2 suggestions for her. "The Shack" by Wm Paul Young, a novel, and "Walking with God" by John Eldredge, more of a how-to.

I too was going to recommend "The Shack". By far one of the best books I've read recently....religious or otherwise. I was given this book by a friend that is a Christian (I am an atheist - but with lots of questions). She read this and knew it would be not only a great read but answer some questions and pose new ones for me. I would actually recommend this book for anyone regardless of religion

Michelle

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join