It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Suggestions?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
know yourself, you will know god

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

That's so good you should post it as your signature.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Since she's wanting to get closer to God, that means she knows he exists. The best thing for her to do is to stay in His Word daily in order to learn about Him, and to get closer to Him. And, we should all "pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

The other book I would personally recommend is The Desire of Ages, by Ellen G. White. Ellen White is a prophetess who lived from 1827-1915. The book is about the life of Jesus. It tells of how the plan of salvation was put into place, and every other aspect of His life here on Earth. I guarantee your sister will be closer to God after she reads this book.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

ACIM

Introduction to A Course In Miracles:

This is a course in miracles. It is a required course. Only the time you take it is voluntary.
Free will does not mean that you can establish the curriculum.
It means only that you can elect what you want to take at a given time.
The course does not aim at teaching the meaning of love, for that is beyond what can be taught.
It does aim, however, at removing the blocks to the awareness of love's presence,
which is your natural inheritance. The opposite of love is fear,
but what is all-encompassing can have no opposite.
This course can therefore be summed up very simply in this way:

"Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God."

courseinmiracles.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
ok since she feals the bible may be too heavy at this time may i suggest another book it is called

How You Can Be Lead By The Spirit Of God by Kenneth E. Hagin

hope this helps

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The Law of One: The Ra Material, books I-V. Has every answer to every question imaginable. Got me started and my eyes opened.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Instead of suggesting that she read a book, my own experience tells me that what she needs is BRAINWAVE ENTRAINMENT THERAPY. Commonly known as "Alpha Stim". Why not give it a try. Books are too boring. I stopped reading them ages ago. Also tell her to read the following paragraph of truth. See if it brings her any nearer to God.

The law that I live by and which is holding us all bonded is called PRAECEPTAE CAELENIUM (tm). I did not read it in a book. You will not find it in any book. It was revealed to me by audio clairvoyance during the celebrations of the New Millennium in 2000. Summed up it basically means no sex and no drugs and no violence. (1) From eternity to eternity, infinity to infinity, there be the One Absolute. The One God there be no other God. Her names are many but she be the one true God. The one judge there be no other judge. (2) La Deus Nostra, Notre Dame, Our Lady, The Holy Spirit, the cause the maker Cosmica. (3) Angelic [celestial immortal] powers of truth and beauty and righteousness be sure to be loving Her Holiness Above with all your mind and with all your heart and with all your strength. (4) So as to be pleasing to Her Holiness Above therefore do not be serving the masculine. (5) Do not be and do not allow masculinity into positions of government. (6) Honour and respect the virgin pureness of the christae. (7) Honour and respect the Immaculate Conception [parthenogenesis] reproductive process of the christae. (8) Do not fornicate or adulterate or sodomize. (9) Do not bully or torture or murder. (10) Do not lie. (11) Do not steal. (12) Do not be covetous. (13) Do not be jealous. Copyright (c) NGL 2000.

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
better yet

give her a blank book, and a pen.

know yourself, you will know god

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

no - not entirely true. We were given the Bible for a reason. And the Commandments were written in stone for a reason. I truly believe that she must read the Bible, and memorize the ten commandments. Then she needs to live them in every moment of everyday, not out of a need to be good, but out of a desire to be selfless and humble and as God hoped we could be. As she progresses upon that path and sees how God will work through her and for her then she will see that this is the true relationship she is seeking. Not something she can read about or write about - something she has to feel in her heart and something she has to live in every day in every way. By doing so she will purify her life in so many ways, and she will no longer feel desire for knowledge, but an acceptence of what is and peace about that. God will not come down and shake her hand. She will ever sit and chat over coffee. But she will see the little miracles everyday once she gears her life towards them, and she will see how through her God is ddoing great things for people.

my thoughts anwyay, inspired through my own inner connectedness with God, that only came about when I decided that my life needed to be more His than mine. Trust me, it is a difficult thing to do, and nine days out of ten i fail, but my goals have been slowly shaping me over the past year, and what was once a burning need to know the truth and know God, has now become a strong assurance that I have always known Him as much as is humanly possible, that I do not need any answers in this life, and that I am happier than ever.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

How You Can Be Lead By The Spirit Of God by Kenneth E. Hagin

Is this the name of an alchemical treatise, or a true but unintended metaphor for what religious belief turns people into?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I recommend the current book I am reading called "The Perennial Philosophy" by Aldous Huxley. It is a more advance read however it is very enlightening to the true spirit of God and addresses that the core essence of every religion, aka The Perennial Philosophy, is the truth we are after and not all these other distractions and details.

*Compared to some of the other books recommended, its not that advanced lol
edit on 29-7-2011 by ThisIsMyName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

LA DEUS

Really?

I believe you when you say you don’t read books.

‘La’ deus, eh?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
An interesting read is "The Reluctant Messenger"

reluctant-messenger.com...

It is something she might like...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I recommend that she write a book. Tell her to look for God in her own writings.
How can you find God in a book?
Tell her to write about why she thinks she can find God in a book.
That is a start.
Or, perhaps, tell her that God hates books...except the Bible. Or, the Koran. Or perhaps only oral agreements.
Tell her SHE is God, and ask her to prove otherwise. Film her while she pulls her hair out. Sell the film and buy her a book on God.
Tell her how the profit motive works.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
what she is looking for wont be found in books.... seek within to know the source of all things

blessings

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Walking with God by John Eldredge

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

She should start with a Bible, recommend the KJV. From there, can recommend (highly) a couple of novels by Frank Peretti, This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness. Both great reading, and full of insights.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The best way to get to know someone is on a one to one basis, right? You could read a book about them but then you still wouldn't have a relationship with them. Tell her to talk to Him (I'll use He/Him for simplicity sake). Knowing God or feeling close to Him is all subjective - it's different for everyone because we're all different. She could read every book there is but it's what she feels and experiences herself of God is what counts. What human fully comprehends the vastness of God? But I think it's possible to have a glimmer of His/It's love and existence. Sometimes even a strong sense of maybe what, a little part? I remember the first time I ever thought I 'saw' God. I was riding my bike through a park on a beautiful day and saw a little boy bouncing a big ball up in the air. Right then, I felt that I saw God. Or rather I felt God. We're more than our minds, and personally I believe we are more than we are aware of. We, here on this earth plane right now, are the tip of the iceberg of ourselves. I believe the 'rest' of us IS closer to God, hopefully for most of us. If we focus our own 'tip' towards God by opening ourselves up to Him, then at least our here and now becomes closer. Tell her to talk to him about how she feels about her deepest (and darkest) feelings. Things she done, Issues resolved and unresolved, her day, her worries, her joys. But most of all, to be thankful. What parent doesn't love to be thanked for all they've given for love? It's the best. Tell her to go sit under a tree or be in nature. Inside at a desk or in a chair or laying in bed reading 'about' someone else's perception of God, to me, doesn't seem to be the way to get to know Him. Although, when I read the Bible sometimes, I do feel closer to Him. So I would suggest that. Also the Gnostic Bible has some very good books in it. It is somewhat of a Zen art to be able to feel closer to God. Best of luck to her. It's the quiet observing times of the mind when the feeling comes though for me. Let the mind go and feel the soul. The seer of the sights, hearer of the sounds, the thinker of the thoughts, the feeler of the feelings - the one behind the senses - the spirit. There is the connection. But for specifics, the New Testament, and in the Old Testament, Psalms, Wisdom. Another good book is The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran. That can be found online as well.
edit on 29-7-2011 by Lightrider because: Forgot to add a book.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
See, really and truely, It all depends on the persons self values and iterests. No one will ever "know God", but quite, may try their hardest at getting close to him. Honestly, I am not Christian, but great advice, read the bible, and pray to your god, that you might become of a more understanding to the bible in which your religion lies in. And a word of advice, don't take the Holy Bible literally. There is much symbolism.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Four books that will tell you more about God than all others combined.

Matthew
Mark
Luke
John

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
...my younger sister, 26, wants me to giveher a basic book that describes sort of a how to guide to get closer to God. ...Any suggestions?

I would ask her why first, and then work from there.
She's 26 too; so I'm guessing she's mature enough to know there is more than one god theory.
So presenting multiple deities to her shouldn't be so overwhelming.

My opinion of course.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Let her read about The Kabbalah and The Book of Zohar.
edit on 29-7-2011 by Gexi1992 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join