It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Suggestions?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Tell her to open her eyes/mind. It's really all in front of you. The books are pointless since they come from man.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The Chronicles of Narnia can actually bring you closer to God. It's also an interesting book and story and lights up the imagination and opens the mind. All useful when it comes to wanting to be closer to God. C.S. Lewis is probably one of the most respected Christians, on an intellectual level as well.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
teachings of buddha, innocent, a form of universal law.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
"The Book of Mormon"

It is the most perfect book on the earth. Don't take my word for it, pray to Heavenly Father, in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and ask if it is true, and He will reveal it to you by the power of the Holy Ghost, and by the power of the Holy Ghost, you may know the truthfulness of all things!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
As mentioned the bible, however reading it from cover to cover could cause a novice to lose interest.

Here is my recommendation to spark interest, Genesis, Proverbs, Matthew to start.
Another suggestion for anybody that wants to get closer to God, use his personal name in prayer, he responds to that over "LORD" or "God". As these are just titles. If you are wondering what it is in English, look at Psalms 83:18 in the KJV
Here is the link
Pslams 83:18

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arrowmancer
Here's an odd answer for you, but I want you to take it seriously.

How many critical people in your life, besides family, did you meet by just walking up and asking "Give me information on you." or "Give me information on how to act around you." Probably none.

Try this:

Left Behind by Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim Lahaye - Christian Fantasy (10 book series)

The writing is phenomenal, the characters real and rich. Starts out with your main characters being non-believers and walks their progress to becoming Christian through the devastation and tribulation that came with the Apocolypse. Emotional and mentally arousing, plus a fine read. It's an amazing starting point for the curious as the two gents writing the books take Christianity pretty seriously and attempt to deliver it to the reader in an entertaining and enlightening way.

that sounds inspiring im gonna have a look at that , thank

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anusuia

Clever thread . So has anyone mentioned Paramahamsa yoganandas ,,Auto Biography of a Yogi

That comes highly recomended from myy daughters who are the same age as your sister .

They say he has very practical knowledge about You and your relationship with God and the world around you .

Most new age help books are actually based on the teachings of Paramahamsa Yoganananda.

Basically this book has been read by the current teachers of self help when they were in their youth and now are self help gurus , without actually stating their source work. Cheating a bit .

So no need to waste time reading current people , just go to the inspirational source .

There are more convolutions on the Path than there are participants to possibly engage in them. The contents of history along the Path for one person is never the same as another. This is why idolatry and repetative behaviors are so very wicked. They will capture you away from your Path and hold you prisoner while your time floods through and past.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

The Layman's Guide To Suicide....... Or....... Final Exit.

Good books.
When you make that final choice, you are as close to God as you will ever get.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
As for my sis, shes been to church and likes to read all those stupid true blood and eclipse vamp book series. So someting more along the lines where you can follow a character as they get closer to God would probably be best. Shes has experience when relaxing in a bath to go deep within and in letting go and has also had fleeting mystical experiences before......... just as somewhat of a background.

Any suggestions?

Hmmm.... "King James Bible" has a crap load of human stories, which God interacts with humanity on many levels.

I can suggest some biblical stories.

On the other hand, she may be looking for a philosophical examination of God. Get more information.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
We FIRST need to know which 'god' your sister is interested in having as an imaginary friend.

Being that there are TONS and TONS of 'gods' up there hiding in the clouds, each watching us to make sure that we hate the other 'gods' cults of the earth, the specific 'god' needs first to be established.

My personal 'god' is the Tooth-Fairy 'god'. I chose the Tooth-Fairy because I have a King Tooth-Fairy Version holy scriptures book and it SPECIFICALLY tells me that this holy Tooth-Fairy scriptures was inspired by the Tooth-Fairy god and that all others are false. So since my Tooth-Fairy scriptures CLEARLY tells me so, it is 100% TRUTH!!!

So my vote is to have her chose the RIGHT 'god' and read the holy King Tooth-Fairy scriptures and get right with the REAL 'god' and accept no others. Failure to do this will cause you to spend all of eternity with the Anti-Tooth-Fairy where there are painful cavities for ALL ETERNITY if you go there!!!!!!! You have been warned!!!!
edit on 29-7-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Any suggestions?

The Book of Joby

Does the book of Joby count as religion?

I read it some years ago and it has everything in it. God, the devil, all kinds of faith related stuff, even angels and wizards, and even the same old bet between Lucifer and God over the souls of humanity. And more importantly a way better story then the ones by the other prophets in the bible. The only thing its missing really is dragons and ninjas.

I would recommend it because Jody is like a way better prophet then all the others in that other book. It will definitely get her religiousness up a few points. But however getting closer to god is easier then reading a book, so it shouldn't be that hard for her to find God. And if she does not find God, all she has to do is wait around and sooner or later in time, she will meet her maker.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

don't give your sister a book give her a social life with mass amounts of booze no offense to any bible bashers here but christianity ruined my life, i've had it ramed down my throat since i was 13 and i finally moved out two years ago, for your information i still havaen't got the courage to tell my familt that i'm actually pagan. However if she's serious i would advise introducing her to a bible group as my grandmother keeps trying to get me to go to one in order for me to repent from my sins

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Has anybody suggested 'The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster' yet? I would hope so....

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Tell her to check out Buddhism, It's more of a way of life thing than a worship me and only me type of belief system.

It's only a suggestion, no judgments if she goes the other way.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Looking for a book? May be the following story could be helpful.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
forget the book. lay out a blanket in a meadow on a sunny day, lie down and listen

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I would suggest the Tao Te Ching. The duality and contradictory style of the writing challenges oneself to understand its meaning and in doing so aids a person in self discovery. However, the writings are focused on humankind and their connection with the world around themselves. In other words, there is no deity in its philosophy.

Shintoism is also interesting but I have only recently begun to study its teachings so I can offer no advice regarding this.

Anyhow, I hope she finds what she is looking for. In my opinion, that is the most important thing to consider.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
better yet

give her a blank book, and a pen.

know yourself, you will know god

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

PERFECT RESPONSE!!! The best way to get there is through oneself. Even if it doesn't lead exactly to where you may think.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Whatever you do, you have to remind her that God has a sense of humor, just look at some of his creations.

Also, remember, Jesus turned water to wine, so you know he liked to party and have a good time,
...in moderation of course.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by RRokkyy

Originally posted by MountainEnigma
The BIBLE is the best!

Nobody here can explain the Bible (New Testament).
Even Jesus couldnt explain things very well.

Love God above all, and neighbor as self.

Jesus spent three years and gave his life trying
to explain that statement.
Your repeating it is not an explanation of
how to accomplish it.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join