It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Super Congress': Debt Ceiling Negotiators Aim To Create New Legislative Body

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
WASHINGTON -- Debt ceiling negotiators think they've hit on a solution to address the debt ceiling impasse and the public's unwillingness to let go of benefits such as Medicare and Social Security that have been earned over a lifetime of work: Create a new Congress.

This "Super Congress," composed of members of both chambers and both parties, isn't mentioned anywhere in the Constitution, but would be granted extraordinary new powers. Under a plan put forth by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his counterpart Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), legislation to lift the debt ceiling would be accompanied by the creation of a 12-member panel made up of 12 lawmakers -- six from each chamber and six from each party.

Legislation approved by the Super Congress -- which some on Capitol Hill are calling the "super committee" -- would then be fast-tracked through both chambers, where it couldn't be amended by simple, regular lawmakers, who'd have the ability only to cast an up or down vote. With the weight of both leaderships behind it, a product originated by the Super Congress would have a strong chance of moving through the little Congress and quickly becoming law. A Super Congress would be less accountable than the system that exists today, and would find it easier to strip the public of popular benefits. Negotiators are currently considering cutting the mortgage deduction and tax credits for retirement savings, for instance, extremely popular policies that would be difficult to slice up using the traditional legislative process.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has made a Super Congress a central part of his last-minute proposal, multiple news reports and people familiar with his plan say. A picture of Boehner's proposal began to come into focus Saturday evening: The debt ceiling would be raised for a short-term period and coupled with an equal dollar figure of cuts, somewhere in the vicinity of a trillion dollars over ten years. A second increase in the debt ceiling would be tied to the creation of a Super Congress that would be required to find a minimum amount of spending cuts. Because the elevated panel would need at least one Democratic vote, its plan would presumably include at least some revenue, though if it's anything like the deals on the table today, it would likely be heavily slanted toward spending cuts. Or, as Obama said of the deal he was offering Republicans before Boehner walked out, "If it was unbalanced, it was unbalanced in the direction of not enough revenue."

Republicans, however, are looking to force a second debt ceiling fight as part of the package, despite the Democratic rejection of the plan. Under the Republican plan, lawmakers would need to weigh in on the debt ceiling during the heat of the presidential election, a proposal Democrats reject as risky to the nation's credit rating. "We expressed openness to two stages of cuts, but not to a short-term debt limit extension," a Democratic aide close to the negotiations said. "Republicans only want the debt ceiling extended as far as the cuts in each tranch. That means we’ll be right back where we are today a few months down the road. We are not a Banana Republic. You don’t run America like that."

The aide said that Democrats are open to a series of cuts as well as a Super Congress, but only if the debt ceiling is raised sufficiently so that it pushes past the election. "Our proposal tonight was, do two tranches of cuts, but raise the debt ceiling through 2012 right now, though the McConnell process would be one way," said the aide, leaving open the possibility that Boehner could craft a new process and distinguish it from McConnell's, which the Tea Party despises as a dereliction of duty. "Do that now with a package of cuts, and have the joint committee" -- the Super Congress -- "report out a package that would be the second tranch. Republicans rejected that, and continued to push a short-term despite the fact that Reid, Pelosi and Obama all could not have been clearer that they will not support a short-term increase. A short term risks some of the same consequences as outright failure to raise the ceiling -- downgraded credit rating, stocks plunge, interest rates spike, etc. It is unclear why Republicans have made this their sticking point."

Boehner spokesman Michael Steel argued that the inability to come to a larger deal so far left a short-term extension as an "inevitable" option. "For months, we have laid out our principles to pass a bill that fulfills the president's request to increase the debt limit beyond the next election. We have passed a debt limit increase with the reforms the American people demand, the 'Cut, Cap, and Balance' bill. The Democrats who run Washington have refused to offer a plan," he said in a statement. "Now, as a result, a two-step process is inevitable. Like the president and the entire bipartisan, bicameral congressional leadership, we continue to believe that defaulting on the full faith and credit of the United States is not an option."

Obama has shown himself to be a fan of the commission approach to cutting social programs and entitlements. Shortly after taking office, Obama held a major conference on deficit reduction and subsequently created, by executive order, The National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform. The White House made two telling appointments to chair the commission: The first was former Sen. Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.), a well-known critic of Social Security who earned notoriety by suggesting, among other things, that the American government had become "a milk cow with 310 million tits!" Yet Obama's Democratic appointment was even more indicative of whose interests took priority: former Clinton White House Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles. Bowles is a member of Morgan Stanley's board of directors; an adviser to Carousel Capital, a private equity firm; and a director of Cousins Properties Incorporated, a firm with significant investments in commercial and mixed-use real estate.

Hi all this my first thread, but I have been around a while and am an independant swing voter.

I needed a break from the Fukushima threads and decided to find a topic that I just recently became aware of to share it and meet new people with knowledge on the subject so we can learn and figure out a way to make our country stronger internally.
I hope that contributors will bring forward articles with reliable sources on the above subject and those that could potentially remove more of our rights, so we can be a more informed populace, like Thomas Jefferson referred.

Ok here we go!!!! CHARGE!!!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I'm pretty new here too.

Three things you need to do when posting:

1. Use EX-TEXT tags when quoting text, and only quote the first couple paragraphs, not the whole thing.
2. Provide a link to the source
3. Do a search on ATS first, as this was posted several days ago.

Not trying to be mean, just being helpful for future posts! I had to learn this too, and I did it by watching other people make mistakes and have the mods delete all their stuff or warn them. So be careful!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

News 3 new results for Super Congress

Thursday's sound off
The Mercury
So now these spoiled rich folks in Congress need a super Congress — six Dems, six Republicans to fast track passing laws. Just up and down votes. What if there's a tie, then what? A super duper Congress. Up to here with the BS. This goes out to Gov. ...pottsmerc.com...

Choose Your Poison: As the Economy Burns, GOP & Dems Fight Over How to Make ...
Huffington Post (blog)
Both try to insulate their architects from the consequences of their actions - actions which the public strongly opposes - by placing them in the hands of an unelected 'Super Congress'whose directives would be given a high pressure up-or-down vote. ...www.huffingtonpost.com...

If It's Not "Cut, Cap And Balance" .... It Doesn't Solve The Problem
Naples Daily News (blog)
Meanwhile, a new "Super Congress" commission of 12 would deal with the issue of future deficit reduction and tax increases. There is no question that this new commission will include Democrats who are allergic to spending cuts — which puts Americans ...www.naplesnews.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

What can I say great minds think alike.
Enjoy yours and I'll enjoy mine.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
sayanythingblog.com...
By Rob Port
Developing a “Super Congress” would essentially but the business of governing the country into the hands of a small committee. Obama's idea would be worse, handing over the nation's reins to a sort of elected monarch with few checks on ...sayanythingblog.com...

'Super Congress' floated to solve debt crisis
As part of ongoing negotiations over whether or not to raise the U.S. debt ceiling, Republican and Democratic leaders are floating the idea of a Super ...www.wnd.com...

FFw/JB Podcast (7/24/2011): Super Congress‏ - YouTube
James talks about the proposed "Super Congress" in this Freedom Files Podcast.
www.youtube.com...

"Super-Congress" Proposed to Fast-Track Debt Limit Increases
Senate leaders Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell are proposing a super-Congress with vast new powers to make it easier to add to the national debt. by Thomas ...www.youtube.com...

That is it for today from me, what do you all think?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by midwest

Understood and Thank you.
FYI I wanted the entire article out as a base. I did search and was not happy with what I saw.
Friendly competition is good and as American as apple pie.
The Mods understand this.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation
By Chris Weigant
One way or another, we can be sure the issue will (at least temporarily) be resolved by the fifth of August.
www.businessinsider.com...

Here's why Congress has such a hard time on the debt limit| McClatchy
Gridlock is hardly a new Washington phenomenon, yet this year's drama over raising the nation's $14.3 trillion debt ceiling has defied - many would say rewritten - the rules of Washington give and take.www.mcclatchydc.com...

Inslee: Fight Tea Party in Congress — make me Gov. | Strange ...
By Joel Connelly
Inslee: Fight Tea Party in Congress — make me Gov.
blog.seattlepi.com...

I'm basically going to follow all of congress from now on here with emphasis on the so called Super Congressman on both side and the third leg wannabees.

Analysis: US may be entering age of political deadlock
Reuters
By Tim Reid WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The debt limit impasse in Washington, where a polarized Congress is struggling to avert an imminent US default, points to a deeper crisis -- America may be entering an age of political paralysis...www.reuters.com...

edit on 28-7-2011 by rbrtj because: added info without a new reply

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Super Congress in Old Congress Out

The BQB
But, this liberty is being jeopardized, our government and the Congress has changed. Politicians have proposed the creation of a new legislative body- the Super Congress. The Huffington Post reports, This Super Congress, composed of members of both ...thebqb.com...

John Boehner's Budget-Cutting Debt Bill Stalls In House

Huffington Post
WASHINGTON -- A Republican plan that would have hiked the nation's debt ceiling for only six months and left the country's spending captive to a "Super Congress" failed to advance in the House Thursday night, with Democrats and Tea Party-backed ...www.huffingtonpost.com...

Call the monarchy's bluff

Canada Free Press
Super Congress? Nyet. Another name for the Politburo and another avenue to usurp our Constitution. Thinking he can up the debt limit on his own without Congressional Approval? Beliefs of a dictator not a President. Continue to violate the Rule of Law ...canadafreepress.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

John Boehner's Debt Ceiling Bill Stalls In House

WASHINGTON -- A Republican plan that would have hiked the nation's debt ceiling for only six months and left the country's spending captive to a "Super Congress" failed to advance in the House Thursday night, with Democrats and Tea Party-backed Republicans opposing the plan. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) had initially scheduled a 6 p.m. vote on his measure which, in addition to raising the debt ceiling, would have cut $915 billion in spending and set up a 12-legislator commission to compel another $1.8 trillion in reductions over 10 years. The vote was then postponed to later Thursday night, but House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) announced just before 10:30 p.m. that a vote would not occur until the following morning at least. Boehner had already gone back and restructured his plan, after the Congressional Budget Office revealed Tuesday that it contained only $850 billion in cuts -- less than the plan put forth by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.). But even after his plan was re-scored -- and he spent more than a day leaning on reluctant members -- Boehner was short at least three votes, sources said. The Hill reported that the $17 billion in funding for Pell grants contained in the bill, added in part to lure some Democrats, was a major stumbling block for some members. And many Tea Party-backed Republican freshmen oppose any increase in the debt ceiling whatsoever. Boehner and his leadership team worked for hours, but they were unable to salvage the bill and secure the votes, marking a stunning failure for a party leader on a crucial piece of legislation. It was unclear if Boehner would try to bring the bill up again, or if the way was now clear for Reid to advance his plan, which would cut $2.2 trillion over ten years and raise the debt ceiling enough to last into 2013.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Daily Kos: Super Congress Super Unconstitutional

By [email protected] (scorpiorising)
Legislation approved by the Super Congress -- which some on Capitol Hill are calling the "super committee" -- would then be fast-tracked through both chambers, where it couldn't be amended by simple, regular lawmakers, who'd have the ...www.dailykos.com...

Is this the end? Stay tuned.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Super Congress Getting Even More Super Powers In Debt Deal

Huffington Post
WASHINGTON -- In order to shore up GOP support for a debt-ceiling deal, Senate Democrats are exploring ways of giving the proposed Super Congress even greater super powers, according to multiple news reports and congressional aides with knowledge of ...www.huffingtonpost.com...

Commentary: Solomon, Rome and Super-Congress
WGMD Radio
Last week I heard mention in media of something called a “Super-Congress”. Today the talking heads on television have found an apparent better and more suitable name as to avoid alarm. A “Super-Committee” it's called. Ah, a Triumvirate by any name… www.wgmd.com...

Debt Ceiling Follies: Extremist ideology, partisanship over country and ...
Daily Kos
Right now negotiations are coalescing around the idea of a "Super Congress." The Super Congress would be that wonderous thing that every elected official in Washington loves to propose, because it is a body that is tasked with Doing Their Own F#%king ...www.dailykos.com...:-Extremist-ideology,-partisanship-over-country-and-incompetence-rule-the-day
(I edited 2 letters of the "f" word)

"Face the Nation" transcript: July 31, 2011
CBS News
The first wave of cuts would total $1 trillion and a bipartisan Super Congressional Committee would have to determine the additional cuts by Thanksgiving of this year. OR If they can't agree Congress doesn't act on their recommendations, there would be ...www.cbsnews.com...

Democratic politics in a nutshell
Salon
... (2) The reported deal on the debt ceiling is so completely one-sided -- brutal domestic cuts with no tax increases on the rich and the likelihood of serious entitlement cuts in six months with a "Super Congressional" deficit commission -- that even ...www.salon.com.../opinion/greenwald/2011/07/31/democrats

Details of 'super committee' are crucial in debt deal
USA Today
A divided Congress and the Obama White House continued negotiating Sunday to come up with a plan that could include a "super committee" of 12 members of Congress - six Republicans and six Democrats - tasked with recommending at least $1.8 trillion more ...www.usatoday.com...

More Power Eyed for "Super Congress" | Ron Paul 2012 | Sound Money ...
By Michael Nystrom
The Super Congress will be made up of six Democrats and six Republicans from both chambers. Under the reported framework, legislation the new congressional committee writes would be fast-tracked through the regular Congress and could ...www.dailypaul.com...

Text of Reid's Catfood II Super Congress Motion | FDL Action
By Jane Hamsher
153 Responses to “Text of Reid's Catfood II Super Congress Motion”. Teddy Partridge July 30th, 2011 at 8:23 pm. 1. Doesn't this override those sacred Senate organizing resolution rules about filibusters allowed for motions to proceed, ...fdlaction.firedoglake.com...

Tha tha that's all folks, good night!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

White House wants Super Congress to take Bush tax cuts off table for 2012

Daily Kos
The "it" in question is the Super Congress that will be created by the debt limit deal should it make its way out of the House and Senate. And if the Super Congress proposes tax reform that changes rates, it would obviously render the Bush tax cuts ...www.dailykos.com...

Four Myths About the "Deal" -- and Four Ways It Can Hurt You

Huffington Post
Social Security and Medicare are exempted from the first and smaller round of cuts, but not from the larger $1.5 trillion in cuts that the unelected "Super Congress" must find. The likeliest outcome? Unnecessary and drastic benefit cuts to Social ...www.huffingtonpost.com...

rbrtj

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It's obvious you want this thread all for yourself.

Information overload.

Enjoy it my friend.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

No Sir, just posting what I get and passing it on it hope someone will read and be more informed.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Congress has the Constitutional right to delegate their responsibility's to whomever they like.

Nothing unconstitutional about this whatsoever. How do you think Congress actually does their job? Almost everything the Constitution requires of them is delegated to someone else. They also have the power to dissolve this silly "super congress" at any moment they want.

Kinda making a big issue out of nothing.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

just posting what I get and passing it on it hope someone will read and be more informed

And I appreciate that. But IMO you should have kept the opening post and introduce some of the others as the thread developed.

The Super Congress imo is just another joint committee. Obvious that members of Congress approve because they accepted the terms.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

The Super Congress We Did Not Elect

Huffington Post
Perhaps I was asleep, or have amnesia, or maybe I was abducted by aliens, but I don't remember ever having elected a Super Congress. However, apparently there will be a committee of twelve that will effectively run our country. That is, if Congress ...www.huffingtonpost.com...

US House approves record budget cuts
wsws.org...

Have a nice day

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

The Super Congress Is A Super Bad Idea

WHTC (blog)

Could our fiscal future be in the hands of a Super Congress composed of 6 establishment Democrats and 6 establishment Republicans? I hope not. This “Super Congress,” composed of members of both chambers and both parties, isn't mentioned anywhere in the ...

Source

Durbin volunteers for duty on new deficit-reduction panel

Under the debt deal signed by President Obama this week, Reid gets to appoint three members to the committee. The other nine will be appointed by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) and House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco).

Source

Jon Stewart Takes On The Super Committee

(VIDEO)
Huffington Post (satire)

On Wednesday night's "Daily Show" Jon Stewart broke down what many Americans probably Googled this week: the new Super Congress (or Super Committee) to be put in place according to debt ceiling negotiations. While it does sound like a coalition of ...

Source

Gotta love Jon Stewart.
Over and out. rbrtj

edit on 5-8-2011 by rbrtj because: Removed something that could not compete with Jon

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

This is the final step of the oligopoly, to completely remove the public's will and
Congress' accountability from the drafting of legislation that affects the population.
If I wasn't so incredibly fluorodated right now, I believe it would be time to warn a
neighbor or two we've become more totalitarian a political environment than Mao's
heyday hell.
Unfortunately the two next door neighbors that even listen to me are wearing duct
tape for headphones when it comes to real issues... amazing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join