It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mad Scientists Have Created a Glow in the Dark Dog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

For some reason, crazy scientists from South Korea have created a dog that glows in the dark. Seriously. The beagle, named Tegon, was cloned and genetically modified so it lights up when you put it under ultraviolet light.

It sounds completely gimmicky and terrible but the South Korean scientists said building the glowing dog could help find cures for human diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Born in 2009 through somatic cell nuclear transfer technology, Tegon's glowing ability can actually be turned on or off with medicine (a doxycycline antibiotic) which according to lead researcher Lee Byeong-chun, "opens new horizons since the gene injected to make the dog glow can be substituted with genes that trigger fatal human diseases."

Source

I guess this might be a bit unethical if it didnt have at least some medical benefit for humans. At least this is one dog that would be easy to find if it ran away at night

edit on 28-7-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I want to create a disappearing Mad Scientist.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

Well... if I'm reading this right, and these scientists want to replace
genes in humans with these glowing ones... I mean logically wouldn't you end up with glowing humans? I agree, these guys are creeps.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I'm against any sort of animal testing period. Couldn't care less if anyone labels me this or that or talks about the benefits for humans. Humans don't impress me much.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WoundedByHonesty
reply to post by Balkan

Well... if I'm reading this right, and these scientists want to replace
genes in humans with these glowing ones... I mean logically wouldn't you end up with glowing humans? I agree, these guys are creeps.

Sounds like you're racist to the follks who are glowing.... Or you will be, when they are created....

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Might be pretty cool if you could take something to make you glow before going out to a night club

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WoundedByHonesty

The glowing is a visual indicative that the ''glowing'' gene is present in the dog cell. The article mention that this particular gene is easily replaceable. So let's say you intruduce an alzhaimer triggering gene in the dog, the absence of glowing will mean that this new gene has taken the place of the old gene. That way, it's much easier to identify negative or false positive results. The old way to do that would require tissue extraction, painfull for the animal, and a lot of genetic sequencing, wich cost a lot.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I remember time ago someone did same stupid thing with a cat.

Found the link :

today.msnbc.msn.com...
edit on 28-7-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

They've been making glow-in-the-dark puppies for quite a while. I guess this one can be "turned on and off" by feeding it some antibiotics
edit on 28-7-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
What would be really handy is if they put stuff in their food so their poop glows in the dark. Then maybe i wouldnt end up standing in it at night time.

edit on 28-7-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
If they start doing that to humans i can imagine going to a night club all you see is people glowing

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This was originally done a while ago. It does have a purpose which is for medical research. I can't help but resent the term "mad" scientists but I guess that kind of reaction is nothing unnusual.

I'm surprised people are only hearing about this now. Here's a story from 2006: abcnews.go.com... and this article from 1998 says something about glowing genes for use in medicine news.bbc.co.uk...

If you do some research into the topic you'll understand the benefits it has for medical research.
edit on 28-7-2011 by DeepThoughtCriminal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Possibly time to start a list of new 'Glow in the Dark' creatures. There is also rabbits, monkeys, fish and frogs.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

This is how the zombie infection begins. It starts with a bite from a glow-in-the-dark beagle. Then easily spreads throughout Asia. And finally the world!

All this genetic tinkering will eventually bring something up we all don't want to meet. Zombies. Glow-in-the-dark private parts. Khan Noonien Singh. Dog-human hybrid (aka, Dogboys)...

Okay. I wouldn't mind a dog-human hybrid pet. Having a dog you can communicate with would be awesome. "Spike, shoot that intruder! BOOM! BOOM! Goodboy!"

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Maybe they could make deer glow in the dark so their carcasses aren't littering our highways as much. And now for the second line.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
my wife would love a puppy that glows!

how much?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I got drunk once and spray painted a kitty with glow in the dark paint.

Caused many accidents from drunks driving home at night and seeing a glowing streak run across the road.

Making small animals glow is bad....mmmkay?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I would love to take this glow in the dark puppy to a rave!

The reactions would be amazing!!!

I guess I don't really see why this is bad? Wierd... yes. Bad? Not really.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I mean, it's wrong to play god and what not but...

I would so want to glow in the dark, I would pretend to be a ghost and scare the crap out of people.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Alexander the Great

As I read your post I couldn't help but wonder how cool Dime would have looked, glowing in the dark, shredding.

new topics

top topics

join