It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Years in Prison For Taping the Cops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

15 Years in Prison For Taping the Cops

www.alternet.org

Over Memorial Day weekend this past May, residents of Miami Beach witnessed a horrific display of police brutality as 12 cops sprayed Raymond Herisse's car with 100 bullets, killing him. The shooting provoked outrage in the surrounding community, not only because of the murder, but because of what the police did afterward.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
***Sorry, i jumped the gun a bit. So apparently the man isn't being charged (misleading title), but the article is pointing out how people in 12 states COULD be arrested for such a thing. My Mistake

I'm sure many of you recall the article posted a few weeks back which contained a video a Miami Citizen had uploaded (with the cops shooting up a car, then scaring off citizens.) Apparently this is illegal. :/

Personally, i think the man was brave and quick on his feet for hiding the sim card. This makes me wonder if someone could/will eventually set up some sort of mainstream recording/upload site, so that videos recorded on your phone could be uploaded, live, to your account, and thus saving possibly damning footage from being confiscated.

Thoughts?

*edit* : Typos. Also, I don't want this to be a police-bashing thread. For every crooked cop exposed, there are 5 good cops that will never catch the public eye.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 28-7-2011 by Onix Verumi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This is absolutely outrageous. If there is no transparency within any of our pillar groups of society, corruption, lies and deceit will always remain an issue at hand. This HAS to STOP!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
There cannot be anyway this was a jury trial. That is the biggest pant load I've heard. Imprisoned for exposing liars. I have notice cops, usually SWAT, around south Florida regularly like to weigh down suspects with lead, or anyone else that challenges them for that matter.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The Police are the LAW.
but they are not the Truth or Justice.
people need to learn how to hide the camera.
and or get hidden cameras.
you can get a program to take the info of the picture or film?
any one know more about that?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
So was this a social experiment or do you not understand you have several hours to edit you post/thread/headline?

I agree with your issue but using a tabloid headline is not a proper way to grab ATS member's attention.

On the positive note, great eye finding the information and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Onix Verumi
***Sorry, i jumped the gun a bit. So apparently the man isn't being charged (misleading title), but the article is pointing out how people in 12 states COULD be arrested for such a thing. My Mistake

I'm sure many of you recall the article posted a few weeks back which contained a video a Miami Citizen had uploaded (with the cops shooting up a car, then scaring off citizens.) Apparently this is illegal. :/

Personally, i think the man was brave and quick on his feet for hiding the sim card. This makes me wonder if someone could/will eventually set up some sort of mainstream recording/upload site, so that videos recorded on your phone could be uploaded, live, to your account, and thus saving possibly damning footage from being confiscated.

Thoughts?

*edit* : Typos. Also, I don't want this to be a police-bashing thread. For every crooked cop exposed, there are 5 good cops that will never catch the public eye.

thanks for posting this,
as tiring as it may seem with the endless amount of police brutality going on the only way to stop it is spread the word pics and video.

I have to respectfully disagree with your statement about there being 5 good cops for every bad (even though I know good former cops )...
this is just not true if there were 5 good cops to every bad cop then the majority of bad cops would not be cops simple as that.

every officer in uniform right now is not good for the simple fact that they keep this horrible system going and profit from it at the same time.
saying "I am just doing my job" is no excuse either.
the police and law system is the problem along with the type of people that get hired on as officers
edit on 7/28/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
It is nowtime to bring out a product that has a great market potential and can be the dsaving grace of all time for us.....THE PERSONAL WITNESS......
The personal witness is a recording device ALL people can wear all the time.
It will record the owners totallife, and can be referred to for all kinds of info at a later date.
Everyone should have the RIGHT to one of these devices if they so desire.
The Personal witness can always be counted on to tell the story accurately because it recods the whole life of the person as long as they wear the device.
It is within todays technology and could be protected in its use by constitutional guarantees already in place.
All people have a right to an accurate record of what has transpired in their life.
And it would settle many many disputes in court.
In fact may be the thing that would unclog the courts because of the recordings each party would have to present.
Further more it could be encripted so that only the court or the owner can use it.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Onix Verumi

Its not illegal to tape the police while they are in public. It becomes an issue though when the person who is recording does something that interferes / distracts the officer from their task at that moment.

In the few states who have had criminal prosecution of 3d parties for taping the cops, as well as a few prosecutions for one party involved recording, all have been dismissed with opinions of the court / PA that recording police while they do their job does not violate any wiretap laws.

Illinoise is the holdout, and a few of their cases are set to go to the FEderal appeals level to get the guilty verdicts thrown out and a forced refinement of Ill law for wiretapping.

There is nothing wrong with recording the police, nor is their anything wrong with "challenging the police". However, as with everything there is a time and place for such things.

Just use common sense.

As a side note any PA who prosecutes a person solely for recroding as a 3rd party with no itnerference / issues should be popped for prosecutorial misconduct.
edit on 28-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join