It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Whistleblower Improvement Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

The Whistleblower Improvement Act

www.mondaq.com

The Whistleblower Improvement Act of 2011 (H.R. 2483), which was introduced by Rep. Grimm on July 11, would amend the Dodd-Frank whistleblower incentive provisions by, among other things, requiring employees to first report potential misconduct through the company's internal reporting system. The bill seeks to preserve the integrity of a company's internal reporting system and prevent employees whose job it is to investigate misconduct from being considered whistleblowers. Upon introduction of the bill, Rep. Grimm announced:
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
act.demandprogress.org

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
If this isn't a clear sign to the people of the true intentions of Big Business, then i don't know what is. Hopefully this doesn't pass... (yeah, in our dreams.)

So, my fellow ATS-ers, is there any way to stop, or at least slow, this from passing?

(Also: FIRST THREAD POST! Hopefully i did this right, haha.)

www.mondaq.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 28-7-2011 by Onix Verumi because: typo city!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If I were a betting man, I would wager that this is another example of how big business has infiltrated and usurped the authority the government was given by the people.

So now, when my employer is breaking the law, I have to let them know that I know what they're up to first?

Oh yeah, that'll work... and what's more I'm sure it will put an end to all corporate abuse. (Let alone government abuse.)

Disappointing is hardly the word for this idea. And I wonder what to make of the politicians that will cheer and support this act - all the while telling us that it is better for America.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Is there any way to stop this from passing?

Yes - hope. lol.

Unfortunantly the governemnt will pass whatever profits them most....

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Onix Verumi

It'll never pass, and if it does I plan to kick big brother in the face for taking away our tattling rights.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This just makes me wanna TATTLE MORE!!!

f*ck 'em...
I'M TELLINNNNNNNNNNN!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

This is an interesting act. As somebody who is familiar with whistleblower protections there is a problem with its enforcement. You see the law does not protect someone from reporting the corruption to management of the organization currently. It only protects a person from reporting that information to authorities. Most employees that come across corrupt practices, feel a duty to report it to their bosses first. Most employees are not out to get the company in trouble, they assume the company is unaware they are engaged in some law violation. The law currently does not protect an employee from raising concerns over a law violation with anyone but authorities.

It would be beneficial that the employee be protected from adverse action for making a complaint to its boss that the company is engaged in some law violation. This really only protects an employee if the company is not aware or really not trying to break the law. Some companies do intend to violate the law and shut-up anyone that complains. Indeed the whistleblower improvement act would add a layer of protection to employees, but madating they go to their bosses first, when the employee may later be terminated for "legitimate" reasons may not fair any better with this law. In fact, corrupt organizations could use this to get information on employees that would tell on them and then target that employee for a "legitimate" termination.

In closing, the act stinks if it mandates an employee must first go to an employer to report the law violation. If the act merely extends protection to the employee for reporting the law violation to the company then it is a good thing.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

Yeah, i know what you mean. :/

I'm hoping that, this being such a clear sign of the corruption within our society, when i show it to my friends and family it will be a wake up call of sorts. I usually try not to push more obscure subjects on them, because then they'd jut think i'm a "loony", and wouldn't take me seriously. Maybe this will register with them?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Representative Grimm's campaign buttons say it best: [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ad52a6d7771a.jpg[/atsimg] Yes, too extreme indeed. It's much, much worse than I imagined:

It was during his tenure with the Fraud Squad that Michael started his undercover career becoming the first FBI Agent to successfully infiltrate Wall Street.

Michael has relentlessly fought corruption and served our country proudly.
Relentlessly fought corruption, that's a good one. Your trustworthy neighborhood politicians website
edit on 28-7-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

new topics

top topics

join