It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amidst famine, African Union launches offinsive in Somalia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Amidst famine, African Union launches offinsive in Somalia

news.smh.com.au

Somali government forces and African Union troops battled insurgents in the capital, Mogadishu, in a bid to secure aid routes for drought victims.

At least 27 civilians were injured in the fighting, medics said.

The clashes come just a day after the UN World Food Programme (WFP) began airlifting emergency supplies into the war-torn capital for thousands of children at risk of starvation from an extreme drought in the Horn of Africa.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.mail.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Obama orders air strikes in Somalia... War number 6...
US 'extends drone strikes to Somalia'

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The Official story is that the rebels in Mogadishu were not letting aid into their starved land, which seems to be true, but the skeptic in me thinks that something more sinister my be behind the scenes, especially with all the "humanitarian wars" being fought right now.

The U.S. opened up the fighting a few weeks ago with drone attacks in Somalia, which are continuing.

By the way, 27 civilians were killed and 10 Al Shebab fighters. Who is this a war on anyways?

U.S. extends drona attacks to Somalia

Video of the fighting at the link below

news.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 28-7-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Didn't you hear? War is good for economy. I don't buy it, but the WH seems pretty confident about it. They're professional politicians that understand these issues.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

Somalia is a pretty messed up place. I don't see why the constant fighting between competing forces in Mogadishu would stop just because of a famine. They havent exactly shown much empathy for starving people int he past, why expect it now?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
dumb asses. The price of a weapon can feed a family for a while. But people are too egotistical to realize that...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Does anyone have a link to how much aid countries have pledged?

I'm curious as to how much they are prepared to spend on war, as opposed to helping people who are starving to death.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The fighting continues:

African Union and Somali forces traded barrages of fire at a new front line in Mogadishu on Friday, as AU forces gained new territory. The country's president appealed for more international aid, saying the government can't feed all the overwhelming number of Somalis suffering from famine.

The African Union military force fears that al-Shabab militants may try to attack the camps that now house tens of thousands of famine refugees in the Somali capital, disrupting the distribution of food aid. A new offensive to push the militant front line farther back from the camps began Thursday

The AU offensive that began Thursday has seen AU troops move up the east side of Mogadishu's largest market — Bakara. The troops now control three sides of the market — the west, south and east — and AU force spokesman Lt. Col. Paddy Ankunda said Friday that the gains mean that tactically speaking the AU essentially controls the market.

Forces are now moving toward the city's large sports stadium, from which al-Shabab fires artillery, Ankunda said.

lin k

top topics

join