It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Largest Anti-War Rally in History at the RNC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
With less than three weeks till the Republican National Convention, anti-war groups have been planning the biggest anti-war rally in United States history. The group is hoping to bring at least 1,000,000 protestors to disrupt the convention. They are promising civil disobedience and violence, as well as sabatoging the message of support for our troops.

moveamericaforward.org
[New York] -- In just three weeks, thousands of Republican delegates from around America will descend upon New York City for the 2004 Republican National Convention.

While convention delegates will announce their support for the re-election of President George Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, another constituency will also be making its way to New York with a very different agenda.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Move on America, which is an pro troops/pro war on terrorism group, have been keeping track of the groups planning to disrupt the convention.

Howard Kaloogian, a three term Republican representative for California legislature and Move on America Chairman, believes that sending a message of support to the troops and the war on terror is the way to fight these anti-war groups. Kaloogian believes the groups are trying to attract the media for their anti-war movement.

Kaloogian brings up the Vietnam War and the breakdown of support for our troops and low troop morale. He doesn't want the effect Vietnam had on our troops to effect the troops for the War on Terror.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Anti-war groups, what a laugh..most of them just enjoy the civil disobedience part of the protest. Just generally making a mess of things.
Nothing will be accomplished other than making the troops feel bad about what they are trying to accomplish.

Good for Moveamericaforward.org
And Kudo's to those who can make it , to out-protest this group of misfits!

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Nevertheless the turnout will be unexpected. Its amazing how the media in general can sway the publics view on things. You'd probably get a chance to see Michael Moore there to. Will be interesting.

df1

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I expect to see instigators infiltrating the war protest with intention of discrediting the pro-peace movement by creating violence that would not otherwise occur. It happened at the democratic convention in 1968, so it would be a mistake to rule out a replay of the same scenario.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
even tho the organisers promised violence...you dont read do you?

[edit on 16-8-2004 by namehere]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Hmm, so only protest the republicans eh?
what about all the democratic members of congress that voted to give the President the authority and the $$$ to wage the war with? No culpabillity there? No millions marched at the DNC, even tho Kerry has said no pullout and mabey more troops....

Some one should pull up the backrounds and funding of the people that are staging this protest..(the organizers and backers)..then you'll really see the anti AMERICAN groups that cover themselves with an anti war cloak.

MMoore showing up and being prominate would hurt more than help id think.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
It looks like the FBI is trying to stop the protests before they start. Interrogating peole who they believe are planning to disrupt the convention or may know of who is planning the disruption.

nypost.com

WASHINGTON, Aug. 15 - The Federal Bureau of Investigation has been questioning political demonstrators across the country, and in rare cases even subpoenaing them, in an aggressive effort to forestall what officials say could be violent and disruptive protests at the Republican National Convention in New York.

F.B.I. officials are urging agents to canvass their communities for information about planned disruptions aimed at the convention and other coming political events, and they say they have developed a list of people who they think may have information about possible violence. They say the inquiries, which began last month before the Democratic convention in Boston, are focused solely on possible crimes, not on dissent, at major political events.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I can think of so many more legitimate reasons to protest the RNC than the war. It's just going to make the RNC look good. Like they're saving the world from hippies or something. Bah.

There should be a million woman march for reproductive rights or million person march for gay rights. Now those legitimate protestors will be scared off. Too bad.

This won't even dent the RNC or slow them down on their way to NYC hookers after the "Family Values" keynote.

NYC Sex Pros Get Ready for Grand Old Party

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
New York City days before the 9/11 anniversary.
Increased terror alerts
Reports of plans to assasinate leaders by Al Queda.

My bet is these protest won't happen or will be shipped off miles away from the RNC.

To me the stage is set for the government to acknowledge the protestors rights to protest but claim national security reasons to keep them away.

I am willing to bet a new terror alert will come out days before which will be used to stop these protest.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal
Move on America, which is an pro troops/pro war on terrorism group, have been keeping track of the groups planning to disrupt the convention.

I was in Iraq when the invasion started, and stayed to see the aftermath. Move on America is no "pro troops/pro war on terrorism group". They in no way support the troops or have any clue as to the real reason our troops are over there. Please do not give thier group anymore legitimacy than they deserve.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The FBI is anticipating violence at the GOP convention. They can't determine which group or groups due to lack of evidence and information.

Seattle Post-Intelligencer

WASHINGTON -- The FBI anticipates violent protests at the upcoming Republican National Convention in New York but does not have enough evidence to move against any group or person, the bureau's top terrorism official said Wednesday.

New York officials have said they expect hundreds of thousands of people to stage demonstrations around the convention, which begins Aug. 30.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Interesting article about the "welcome" the RNC can expect in NYC. Seems local polls show over 80% of New Yorkers do not want the RNC in their town. Seems the people who live in the city attacked by terrorist don't feel the Bush group is doing a good job with the war on terror. Or on rebuilding the city and using the tragedy as their own personal play thing in their quest for re-election...

Regardless of your views on the election, it could be an exciting time in NYC...

Anti-Republican sentiment is rising to a fever pitch here as the dog days tick down to the dreaded affair. A poll cited by the local ABC affiliate shows 83 percent of New Yorkers don't want their city to host the RNC. And many of them are planning to do something about it.

www.commondreams.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I wonder if it's anti-RNC sentiment,
Or if it's "no huge conventions of any kind" sentiment.
Look what Happened to the Businesses in Boston, near the DNC.
It was a bust for them.

I think it just makes life more uncomfortable when THAT many people blow into town, and require 100 times more security than the average Plumbing convention..

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
They have the right to protest but a line is drawn when the protests become violent and/or creat civil disobeidance. I read in one article about these loons, that some of them plan to wear gunpowder to confuse the security dogs.

It'll be very intresting to see how it all goes down there, I gaurntee it to be crazed,childish and ludicris.

All this will accomplish is demoralizing our soldiers oversees and abroad, and show us how childish and radical the far left can be.

Look out for gaurds armed with tear gas and pepper spray at the RNC.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster

All this will accomplish is demoralizing our soldiers oversees and abroad, and show us how childish and radical the far left can be.

Absolutely! However, as some have said...A lot of the real troublemakers will be
infiltrators, in a way..Wreaking havoc to a greater degree than might have been previously planned..How do you tell the difference?

I wish I knew...There some folks who are into the whole creation of chaos thing..real jerks, who are just spoiling it for everyone.

Bless our Soldiers Overseas!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
You'ld think people would have learned from Viet Nam. Why can't we have the view pro-troop/ anti-war. It's the politician that started this, not the troops.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well in 'Nam alot of them were anti-troop and anti-war, not all of them like it is today. Now they think that if your in a war your one of the people who started it. At least in 'Nam they were hippies and did'nt cause alot of violence and civil riots.

new topics

top topics

join