It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quebec man in end-of-world sect accused of inciting suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

A Quebec man who belongs to a religious sect that believes the world will end in 2012 is being investigated by France for allegedly inciting people over the internet to commit suicide.

The man, who has not been charged with a crime, is a member of a New Age religion that believes the world will end in 2012, according to French police.

Full story here.

Just a harsh dose of reality here. There are a lot of people playing mind games, trying to convince naifs that the end of the world is nigh. It's deadly serious business. Remember the "Heaven's Gate" cult? They were so convinced that a spaceship was trailing comet Hale-Bopp to transport them to a "higher plane," that they committed mass suicide. If you're not old enough to remember this tragedy, you can read about it here. Notice the melange of New Age and ancient astronaut beliefs. Sound familiar?

Remember, by repeating prophecies of doom, you are reinforcing negativity. Don't try to rationalize it away by claiming that it's a "new beginning;" that's what Heaven's Gate did. They were all so eager for a new beginning that they ended their old one. Permanently. Please exercise some judgement and be morally responsible for your actions.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Serves him right, he would have no doubt caused people to commit suicide when the time came. As if the hysteria surrounding 2012 isn't off the charts!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I live in Canada, what I want to know is why France is investigating this man rather than his own country. When Quebec wanted to separate, France refused to support them and now when something of import happens there, it's them handling it?

Just goes to show you how the Canadian government and policing forces continue to pacify this volatile and assertive province!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

I live in Canada, what I want to know is why France is investigating this man rather than his own country. When Quebec wanted to separate, France refused to support them and now when something of import happens there, it's them handling it?

The internet transcends national boundaries. If a francophone Canadian is a threat to the lives of French citizens, it is entirely appropriate for the French government to take action.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I understand that, I just think that Canada ought to be doing something about it too..

Sick, Sick puppy. He should be arrested for murder IMHO

new topics

top topics

join