It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Raids Anonymous Suspects Using List of Top 1000 Protestors

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
No they can't arrest everyone
but they damn sure are going
to make a few examples..

I feel bad for the kid's who got caught
up in this and did not really understand
what they were getting into.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The FBI raids are nothing more than a muse to make it seem like they're cracking down and actually shutting anon down...but they aren't...it's just scare tactic to make them look in control...them rooting through those 1000 IP adresses like trying to find that ominous needle in the haystack...but that needle might not even be there...I'm about 99% sure of this...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I bet they get around 5% conviction rate from these arrests.. How are you going to prove that the most elite group of hackers on earth didn't just simply telnet over to your crib and lay down some dirty ddos ...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
But officer, I swear I wasn't hacking paypal. I was just trying to see if my wikileaks donation had ever been posted to them or returned to me. I wanted to know the second it happened, but unfortunately, it hasn't happened YET.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
They didn't raid a list of ''protesters''.

When Anonymous made their intentions to target PayPal public, PayPal liaised with the FBI and employed security software to record the IP addresses of people who attempted to target them via SQL injection. The IP addresses which were the most prolific in these malicious attacks against PayPal formed the basis of the ''suspect list'' which the FBI acted upon.

Obviously, an IP address isn't enough to use on its own as evidence, which is why they acquired search warrants to raid the homes of these suspects, to gain more tangible evidence of their culpability in this ''operation''.

To imply that the FBI used a list of ''protesters'' is completely misleading, as the list was specifically compiled from people who were maliciously targeting PayPal's system.

edit on 28-7-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Theres nothing 'obvious' about it.

'Obviously' is cover for an assumption.

You're quite the cheerleader for the FBI aren't you?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
Theres nothing 'obvious' about it.

'Obviously' is cover for an assumption.

I would have thought that it would be obvious, to anyone with a jot of sense, that an attempted prosecution based solely on an IP address would be laughed out of court.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Maybe, maybe not. These are strange times. That's assuming that supporting evidence isn't fabricated and assuming that convictions are their aim.

I'm sure you're intelligent enough to imagine other possible scenarios, methods and motivations.

It's not obvious.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Welshextremist

I agree it is bogus to quite an extent but they are a business who can chose not to do business with who they want last I checked. That's how they get away with this biased crap and that's why criminal acts per perpetrated against there company by the activists or whatever they want to call themselves. 2 Wrongs do not make it right. I knew that it would catch up with them.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
You know what would be great? If Anonymous fired back by hacking the FBI and releasing a ton of classified documents that reveal bunch of wrongdoing, corruption, crimes, and so on. But I bet if that happened the War on the Internet would be kicked into full gear.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The FBI are just playing the numbers game here (if only 1 in 100 investigations result in a charge, and we want to say to the newspaper we caught a dozen anon members because it looks good in the papers, then we need to raid 1000 people).

1) Ok, so they logged source IPs of SQL Injection attacks. I am sure Paypal gets hammered each and every day from all over the globe with these sorts of attacks, from all sorts of hackers, so how are you going to prove which attacker is part of anon, and which attacker was acting alone or as part of another group?

2) Answer to #1, raid their homes! Brilliant idea! We go in with a warrant, take their electronic equipment and any storage devices it might have been connected to so we can do 'forensics' on it and make no promises of when or if the equipment will be given back (this is how "computer" raids work). Oh but wait, there's a good chance the "top 1000 source ips" were actually compromised servers/workstations used by legitimate companies that have/had no idea the machine was compromised. So now we've inflicted a potentially major cost on an innocent party (so much for innocent until proven guilty) with nothing to show for it.

3) If the anon script kiddies were using iPhones as someone mentioned, then the iPhones would not make it in the top 1000 list. They simply don't have enough bandwidth to send a DDoS at even a small fraction of the rate of a server with a 100Mb+ backbone...and I'm fairly certain that anon don't own a 100Mb+ backbone on a nice big beefy server just to use for illegal means. If that was the case they would've been shutdown a long time ago.

4) As someone already mentioned, DHCP... they would need to contact the owner of each IP, and request server logs just to make sure the get the right machine. So potentially you have (worst-case-scenario) 1000 different companies spread across the globe to chase down and request information from. That would be a logistical nightmare.

5) Making the reasonable assumption that the top 10 IPs were from hackers that knew their stuff, the IPs are guaranteed to have been routed through multiple anonymous, non-logging, non-caching proxies, possibly routing through Tor at some stage which is going to make finding the true source of the attack nigh on impossible.

So basically...it's a witch hunt. It's either a "look at this public! We're kicking arse and taking names!" media stunt, or it's an act of desperation.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

This is why you should use a VPN and/or proxy children. I highly doubt they will get many people out of those 40 search warrants anyway.
edit on 28-7-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
should i be laughing that the FBI is arresting kids or crying? idk so im going to do both, i thought the fbi was the good guys though?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

Survival of the fittest my friend.

Am i the only one that doesnt see the take down of a few as a bad thing?

If you are truly only as strong as your weakest link, then taking out 1000 weak links is only going to make the movement stronger.

1000 people is drop in the bucket.

Anonymous is not a group, its a movement.

The IDEA is what matters, and the idea will survive no matter how many individuals are singled out.

Take out 1000 more, take out 10,000 more, its not going to stop the IDEA.

For every person they take out, 10 people get fed up with the way things are and be open to the IDEA.

When will people realize that Anonymous isn't a group any more than 9/11 truthers are a group.

Take a chunk of em out, its not going to affect the IDEA.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
You know what would be great? If Anonymous fired back by hacking the FBI and releasing a ton of classified documents that reveal bunch of wrongdoing, corruption, crimes, and so on. But I bet if that happened the War on the Internet would be kicked into full gear.

So once again the answer to hacking a company that millions rely upon, and then doing something about all those people not having access to their money, in this economy, is to perform more illegal acts? I fail to see the logic. The FBI is following up on a crime, plain and simple, and they should become the victims of another crime for doing their jobs??

C'mon people, end this touting of Anon as freedom fighters, they are compromising everyone's free and untethered use of the internet with each and every illegal act they perform, so what if the cause is just, the actions are not. And I will say it again, illegal actions for a just cause are still illegal actions and should be prosecuted.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMessenger1
Here's a question.

How do they determine that these 1000 IP adresses were responsible for the DDoS attack? DDoSing a site just ramps up the traffic until the site crashes and they are able to take any info.

There are hundreds of people if not thousands that use PayPal for transactions and business. So how do they determine which IP address is that of an Anon attacker and that of a normal customer?

Thats what i was thinking . How do they tell. You could have been one of thousands trying to make a paypal transaction at that time.

Maybe I wont use paypal now as it seems you could end up in jail just by using the stupid electronic thing

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
how did you not add JFK as one of the good guys being killed

JFK wasn't a good guy. He's just glorified by conspiracists because most of you are politically illiterate. JFK was one of the worst Presidents ever.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

Why is that?
Can you defend your views please? I'm neutral concerning JFK but I would like to know why you think he's the worst "president ever". I assume you mean worst US president ever. Why?

Thanks in advance.

IT--

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

The prisons are not going to be large enough or Bubba will get 3 boyfriends per cell instead of one. All them anons better hope the penal system provides them with enough lube to survive their sentences.

What's funny about the fact that the USA runs rape camps where over 300,000 REPORTED rapes happen, man on man every year, I think it's pathetic and a sure sign of the USA's actual fascist nature.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

Nail+Head. Enough said.

IT--

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join