It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Posted on FB AccuWeather.com Tragedy in Dominica in the northeastern Caribbean...dam failed and

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I just saw this on FB feed.

AccuWeather.com
Tragedy in Dominica in the northeastern Caribbean...dam failed and took out houses...we are working on a story

I am going to look for any news or articles I can find.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I think they also had a wee shake today also.

Source 4.0

Just thought I would supply that info.

Peace

SIB

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Thank you! I just saw that as well. So far I have not found any information on this.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Not seeing much on this either. Was there not a land slide in South Korea yesterday?

Will keep looking.

Peace

SIB

Just wanted to add the facebook for the source you mentioned that reported this.

Facebook Source
edit on 28/7/2011 by tinfoilSIB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
dominicanewsonline.com...
Found the story here. Hope this isn't too bad.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Cheers for that one.

Hope it's not as bad as it looks.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64

dominicanewsonline.com...
Found the story here. Hope this isn't too bad.

That doesn't look or sound very promising.

My thoughts are with those who are in the area.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Oh man that is crazy hopefully everyone is alright.
Well it says no 1 liners but I really can't think of anything else to say. From the picture on the link posted I believe the emergency team was partially ready and the damage is minimum.

Good Luck D R

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamusic
Oh man that is crazy hopefully everyone is alright.
Well it says no 1 liners but I really can't think of anything else to say. From the picture on the link posted I believe the emergency team was partially ready and the damage is minimum.

Good Luck D R

After just reading all the comments on the article posted, it sounds as if some are saying that the government was aware of this potential happening --- "just not this soon".

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The article says it happened around midnight and so far only one man was rescued and taken to the hospital. With it happening that late, it would be a miracle if that was the only one. Thought it was strange to not include any info about casualties or missing in the story.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
The article says it happened around midnight and so far only one man was rescued and taken to the hospital. With it happening that late, it would be a miracle if that was the only one. Thought it was strange to not include any info about casualties or missing in the story.

I was thinking the same thing. Especially since it happened at mid-night , and it said it took houses out.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Maybe this is relevant, ground was very saturated.

Tropical Wave Affecting Dominica

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PacificBlue

I would have to agree - thank you for sharing that

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Made me think of this,,when they talked about the possability of the dam bursting,,,by the way it didnt so well done to ALL those involved in making the right decisions,, at that very ,,very dangerous time.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Here is another article regarding the situation.

Source

The Head of Government is predicting that the collapse of the Matthieu Dam will have long term negative effects on the country’s struggling economy.

“The place has been declared as a disaster zone and the assessment is currently being done. The present approach is to have the area cleared. There will be some short term cost but my concern is the longer cost to the country and the agriculture which has been destroyed as a result. Several persons will also be unemployed because take for instance Wacky Rollers who employs four persons and the Chinese project. A new bridge must be built…the expenses will be severe,” he said.

We have been in touch with the US and the French to see if they can assist us with a helicopter later on to look at the dam area to decide what the situation is with that,” he said. He said Dominica is a small island and does not have funds put aside for disasters.

How sad. Is there any place on this planet that is in prosperous conditions? Or not being affected by natural disasters that are making matters worse?

Edited to add:

At the bottom of the above article it states:

The small islands just to the east of Central America will participate in this crush. The Caribbean Plate will be pushed up behind them, bunched up, fracturing the rock layers so they go in all directions, up as well as down. This is an issue not so much of sinking as of unpredictability. The fate of these small islands is unpredictable. They may survive from the jumble, or disappear entirely.

Or disappear entirely?
Now there is some encouraging news.
edit on 28-7-2011 by summer5 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join