It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daily drug restores sight to hereditary blind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Daily drug restores sight to hereditary blind

www.newscientist.co m

A hereditary form of blindness has been delayed or reversed for the first time by a daily drug treatment. The drug is the first to benefit people with a disease of their mitochondria, the energy powerhouses of cells.

There had been no way to halt the rapid onset of blindness in people with the most common mitochondrial disease, called Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy. It strikes men in their twenties, leading to total blindness within three to six months of the first symptoms appearing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.medicinenet.com

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This is a rather important medical development.

For those of us blessed with not having to know about mitochondrial disorders, it is among the most troubling of genetic problems which reduce the quality of life for many thousands of people...

Mitochondrial myopathies are a group of neuromuscular diseases caused by damage to the mitochondria-small, energy-producing structures that serve as the cells' "power plants." Nerve cells in the brain and muscles require a great deal of energy, and thus appear to be particularly damaged when mitochondrial dysfunction occurs. Some of the more common mitochondrial myopathies include Kearns-Sayre syndrome, myoclonus epilepsy with ragged-red fibers, and mitochondrial encephalomyopathy with lactic acidosis and stroke-like episodes. The symptoms of mitochondrial myopathies include:

muscle weakness or exercise intolerance, heart failure or rhythm disturbances, dementia, movement disorders, stroke-like episodes, deafness, blindness, droopy eyelids, limited mobility of the eyes, vomiting, and seizures.

There is even the possibility that such a for of treatment could be developed to deal with the scourge of autism, if the rumors of mitochondrial involvement prove true.

From the article:

It is also the first time that an inherited mitochondrial disease has been successfully treated. "This trial tells us there's hope for this and other mitochondrial diseases," says Chinnery.

Although the sample group was tiny, relatively speaking, one can only hope this can, and actually will, lead to a cure to a disease, for a change.

www.newscientist.co m
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 28-7-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing this condition to light S and F because my mother has MELAS (lebers falls under this acronym). She had it diagnosed not by going blind, but by going completely deaf in 2 months. The only way she was diagnosed was for this to happen to her. Once we read more on the disease, my mother counted her blessings she went deaf and not blind, one of her worst fears. I hope more research is done into this, its such a complicated and misunderstood disorder, in which the patients seem to know more about the condition then the doctors do.
This is a horrible condition that you can only struggle with and adapt to the symptoms as they appear. Anyone who deals with this, both patient and family, my heart goes out to you.
And I stress this for all who deal with this condition to DO YOUR RESEARCH. It's imperative you understand this disorder and be able to deal with doctors and medical professionals who aren't educated to deal with this.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
All I see when I read "daily treatments" is more money for big pharma. If they can do this much with a daily pill, they know how to cure it. But it is good for those who have this disease.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
All I see when I read "daily treatments" is more money for big pharma. If they can do this much with a daily pill, they know how to cure it. But it is good for those who have this disease.

Perhaps, but the cure has to start somewhere, and this is the first time a mitochondrial 'disorder' has been shown to be at least somewhat treatable.... many people suffering from a whole range of diseases need this.... granted I am just a cynical as you are about what happens once Big Pharma and the patent trolls get a hold of this....

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I wanted to add, while this article is very uplifting, its also not explaining how complex this disorder actually is and that its not something you find out in a random blood test. Most people living with it won't recognize the symptoms for what they truly are and can often times be misdiagnosed for years before that one red flag pops up like blindness or deafness. Once one of those pops up, confusion strikes and investigation is done. Once they find a possible reason, then the test is done to find out, normally muscle biopsy is the easiest.
It is lucky these subjects knew of their illness in time before damage was done that couldn't be reversed or prevented. This treatment doesn't remotely equate to a cure for this disease in any way but I hope it raises awareness for it in more countries.

edit on 28-7-2011 by topherman420 because: typo

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I wonder if it also helps with chronic fatigue syndrome, with energy restoration to cells?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The drug mentioned in this article is an analogue of Coenzyme Q-10.

I highly recommend taking CoQ10 as a daily supplement. It provides cellular energy and promotes health throughout the entire body.

Statin drugs are known to lead to CoQ10 deficiency, so people who take statin prescriptions should absolutely be supplementing with CoQ10.

I am a healthy late 20s male, taking no prescription meds. Two weeks ago I began taking CoQ10, I have had a bit more energy and better cognitive function. I do not feel amped up or jittery, or have excess energy. I simply do not tire as easily.

During my workout sessions I am able to push myself harder, and recover faster.

CoQ10 is very expensive at health stores. It can be found online for very cheap though. I get a 3 month supply for about $20.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

Thank you for that info. It is always best to remind people that they should be certain (either by consulting a physician or being one) that such compounds with not interfere with other medication absorption or regimens. It's better to be safe than sorry. Many people think that because something is natural or non-synthetic it automatically means it can;t harm you.... this is not true... depending on the person and many other circumstances.

But all in all that is a good thing to know.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

Yes Q10 is the leading fighter for MELAS. This helps the mitochondria with ATP production/transport, that those with MELAS have a problem doing on their own.
I will need to look into the internet for vitamin options, though im suspicious on the quality and content of the product. My mother buys them now at the pharmacy but it is very expensive, shes already on a special diet that costs more then whats shes used to so cutting down on the price of her vitamins would be of great help. Can you message me the link to the site you use and I can research it further, thanks.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik

Rather than be excited for the people whose sight can now be saved, you want to rag on the drug companies that did the research to accomplish this feat?

As long as it doesn't affect you, or someone you know I guess ...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Rather than be excited for the people whose sight can now be saved, you want to rag on the drug companies that did the research to accomplish this feat?

I wouldn't be too quick to assume that the drug companies paid for this research... it seems much more likely that taxes comprise the bulk of the funding 9especially if you consider the offsets drug companies get for funding research which leads to their proprietary ownership rights....

It is still good news, but we shouldn't be too surprised if the pills end up costing a fortune because of how effective it is at reducing long-term treatments of other kinds.... such things have been known to happen all too frequently.

new topics

top topics

join