It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 14th and social security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
yes the 14th amendment does not say that social security will be payed if the gov defaults

Like Congress, the president is bound by Section 4 of the 14th Amendment, which states that "(t)he validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law . . . shall not be questioned."
but then is SS not a debit? some history

Section 4 was passed after the Civil War because the framers worried that former Southern rebels returning to Congress would hold the federal debt hostage to extract political concessions on Reconstruction. Section 5 gives Congress the power to enforce the 14th Amendment's provisions. This does not mean, however, that these provisions do not apply to the president; otherwise, he could violate the 14th Amendment at will.
yea well he might try he has broken laws and has lied to the people more so than bush did and then there is who to pay , he has hinted you on SS will not get your pay, but he and the other doobs in DC will

Section 4 requires the president not to put the validity of the public debt into question. If the debt ceiling is not raised in time, there will not be enough incoming revenues to pay for all of the government's bills as they come due. Therefore he has a constitutional obligation to prioritize incoming revenues to pay the public debt: interest on government bonds and any other "vested" obligations.
notice SS is not a vested obligation

What falls into the latter category is not entirely clear, but a large number of other government obligations -- and certainly payments for future services -- would not count and would have to be sacrificed. This might include, for example, Social Security payments.
one thing that will not be put on the chopping block, is the DHS TSA IRS GOV pay. I think it is time they do some no pat check living for one pay day that would be 1 trillion ? do not know the real pay out of Gov payroll. Now here is the real trick use bounds for the SS to pay SS,see if it makes sense to you, looks like counterfeiting to me, but then that is just me.

To be sure, the president could keep paying Social Security if he could keep the total amount of debt constant by redeeming bonds in the Social Security trust fund for cash and immediately selling new bonds to replace them. But the money coming in may not be able to keep pace with the money going out. Even if he tries his best, the president may not be able to pay every Social Security check in full on time.
the article goes on but you can read it in full here www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
i recieved my veterans retirement pay 2 days early. Go figure, huh since payment of such benefits have been thrown up and threated by the government as unpayable obligations.

join