It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

APNewsBreak: Arctic scientist under investigation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

APNewsBreak: Arctic scientist under investigation

www.signonsandiego.com

JUNEAU, Alaska — A federal wildlife biologist whose observation in 2004 of presumably drowned polar bears in the Arctic helped to galvanize the global warming movement has been placed on administrative leave and is being investigated for scientific misconduct, possibly over the veracity of that article.

Documents provided by Ruch's group indicate questioning by investigators has centered on observations that Monnett and fellow researcher Jeffrey Gleason made in 2004, while conducting an aerial survey of bowhead whales, of four dead polar bears floating in the water after a storm. They de
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.miamiherald.com

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Huge Shock...

"The article and presentations drew national attention and helped make the polar bear something of a poster child for the global warming movement. Al Gore's mention of the polar bear in his documentary on climate change, "An Inconvenient Truth," came up during investigators' questioning of Gleason in January".

This is the problem. There are millions of dollars given to these scientist and they really can make their data show anything. Some of these researcher's jobs depend on finding some type of crisis. How can we trust any of these scientific studies if most of them are agenda driven?

We can't even get the truth from scientist's.....pathetic.

www.signonsandiego.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
with millions of dollers in funding avalible its no wonder they lie

wonder what else has been fabricated!!

we cant trust no one thes days

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
If global warming was true like they keep trying to tell us then there would be no need for all the 'scientists' to keep lying. Its all about the money.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Regardless, of whether they saw four dead polar bears or four lumps of ice, four dead bears does not a global warming make. And then to stretch that into being a man-made cause is just crazy.

I'm currently reading a book by the former reporter Howard K. Smith. entitled "Last Train From Berlin." He was in Berlin during the early Nazi creation of their immense propaganda efforts to convince the German people that they must conquer the world. The chicanery, distortions and outright lies were smoothly laid on that populance with an astounding result. They bought the argument, totally. Few voices attempted to raise any opposition even around the world where it was relatively safe to do so. That would include the UK that failed to respond to its own credit and opted for appeasement instead. Today, much of the world is caving in to the contrieved conspiracy of manmade global warming.

Certainly, something is happening to our Earth, but let us be calm and scientific from all quarters about this emerging problem before it gets even more irrational.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

The entire "Green" movement is based on this type of research.

I am not saying that the Earth is not warming.

I am saying how the hell would we ever really know the truth.

If you were receiving millions of dollars from an organization for research.

The results might show exactly what the people with the money want it to say.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
We can solve all of this. End the grants and put the money towards paying down our debt. Kill two birds with one stone!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Scientists tell the truth, they lose their funding.
The Politicians tell lies, and they get elected into government.

F'ed up world we live in.

edit on 28-7-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Point 1) "Possibly" over the polar bear report. In fact... [e]]But he has not yet been informed by the inspector general's office of specific charges or questions related to the scientific integrity of his work, said Jeff Ruch, executive director of Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility.

Point 2) He is being investigated. That does not mean he's guilty; it just means that they noticed some kind of anomaly in his data and reports which may suggest disingenuity.

Point of this post: Stop jumping to conclusions.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

We can't even get the truth from scientist's.....pathetic.

The problem is that science is subvertant to the political, financial and military sectors of society. It takes money and resources to conduct science and with that comes the influences of power, corruption and conflicts of interest. The field of climatology is not the only one suffering, GMO, drugs, vaccinations, economics and others are under a lot of pressure due to large financial interests and complexity of the study.

With 9/11 still unresolved the government has set the standard that power is more important than the truth and law. It is only inevitable that this attitude has become the social norm when our leaders embrace it at such cost. While this issue remains unresolved, expect the scientific situation to continue to get worst.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
heres another example for scientists lying to us regarding "CO2" and climate change...

read carefully...

www.theregister.co.uk...
edit on 28-7-2011 by Hessdalen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

ROFL! At least ONE scientist has the balls to call them out on this thing. Can't wait until someone sues Gore and his cronies for inciting panic and obtaining money by false pretense.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Who would lie about dead polar bears? Govt. biologist with $50mm? Maybe he can work for Al.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GeoSorosReptilian

I have no proof this guy is lying.

My question is...

How can you call it research if you have an agenda.

It seems if he's not lying...He certainly has an agenda.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
reply to post by GeoSorosReptilian

How can you call it research if you have an agenda.

Er

That question doesn't even make sense.

Very few scientists set out to prove something without any idea what they're going to prove, and they are generally in their field because they care about the field. Scientists almost by default have agendas. Problems arise when they allow their agendas to cloud their broader duty to the truth.

But in either case, that doesn't make it any less "Research". Research is just an investigation into that which is unknown. So long as they are not fabricating data out of whole cloth, they are still engaging in research, however disingenuous their use of the data is.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Really...

My wife is a scientist.

All my friends are scientists.

If you are funded by a group. You have a huge staff that depends on you.

You are telling me there is no agenda at all.

ADD: You can write "Research" on anything. Ask the Sea Shepard's.

edit on 28-7-2011 by whyamIhere because: public schools

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

What? No, I said the exact opposite. That of course they have an agenda. In fact my exact words were

Scientists almost by default have agendas

Followed by

Problems arise when they allow their agendas to cloud their broader duty to the truth.

Are you just upset that I didn't include the agendas of their funding?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

I'm sorry I misunderstood you.

When the agenda is obvious, no need to promote it.

Arctic Research...They could tell us anything.

It's just, if this whole "Global Warming" issue is a hoax.

Lot's of jobs are gone because of this hype (if it is hype).

It just seems the dishonesty has even entered the "Scientific Arena"...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Updated Story

Myron Ebell, of the Competitive Enterprise Institute, said the case reinforces the group's position that people should be more skeptical about the work of climate change scientists. Even if every scientist is objective, "what we're being asked to do is turn our economy around and spend trillions and trillions of dollars on the basis of" climate change claims, he said.

Believe me....We will all be more skeptical now.

She feared what happened to Monnett would send a "chilling message" at the agency just as important oil and gas development decisions in the Arctic will soon be made. "I don't believe the timing is coincidental," she said. Rotterman said Monnett's work included identifying questions that needed to be answered to inform the environmental analyses the agency must conduct before issuing drilling permits.

So is this just politics?

Polar bears are considered strong swimmers, they wrote, but long-distance swims may exact a greater metabolic toll than standing or walking on ice in better weather. They said their observations suggested the bears drowned in rough seas and high winds. They also added that the findings "suggest that drowning-related deaths of polar bears may increase in the future if the observed trend of regression of pack ice and/or longer open water periods continues." The article and presentations drew national attention and helped make the polar bear a symbol for the global warming movement. Former vice president and climate change activist Al Gore mentioned the animal in his Oscar-winning global warming documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth."

This is the research that Al Gore made millions on.

We are really being played by TPTB...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join