It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some companies asking unemployed to not bother applying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Seriously? What are they thinking? Who do they think wants these jobs the most and will work their butt off more?

utica-mohawkvalley.ynn.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This was posted yesterday i'm afraid.

Nothing new.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Sorry, never found anything in search....Carry on!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Texas' unemployment office policy is beyond retarded as well.

In Texas, you can't apply for any job. If you want even a waitstaff job, you have to fill out a looooooong questionnaire.

If your answers do not meet the criteria for that job, you can't apply . . . at all.

My wife, a few years ago, tried to go get some applications for customer service. They would not give her the apps, because her profile did not meet the requirements of working in customer service.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
They are thinking that
1) by being laid off, you have lost your skills.
2) your were laid off (first) because you were not a performer in your previous job(s).

You need to dispel both of the above within your resume, and in person if you get that far.

If you are a professional, and you had a consulting company you could adjust your resume showing you consulting company as the prime hiring company and the companies actually worked for as jobs under the consulting position so job holes would not be as obvious.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Grower

Well I think this is why we are giving them the big tax cuts and let them skate by without paying the same income tax as the rest of us "little people."

They are too important to pay taxes.
These American Companies have grown fat and bloated off our profits and now rather than pay taxes they take their business overseas and they give it to China. Take GE for example.

They do not have to hire American workers when they can get so much cheaper labor and make so much more profits overseas in countries like China.
Yeah the same country we decry for human and workers rights violations all the time.

I know it isn't fair.

It's not supposed to be.

The "little people" will have to work extra hard to make enough money to fund our government so we can let these big businesses that don't even hire the unemployed get by and make an indecent, unbelievable and unheard of profit.

Don't worry though. We won't make them hire the unemployed or pay their fair share of taxes because American business need a break.

They have skated so on paying their fair share of the income taxes and hiring Americans for so long they forget what country they are based in. Maybe they think they are in China. Someone should tell them...hey grab a newspaper mogul. This is the USA.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by chuckk

People aren't even looking at resumes though. If they see a break in employment, the resume goes in the circular file. This is discrimination and should be illegal.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Grower

Whether this is right or wrong is irrelevant. It is not illegal (nor should be, as "right to work" means something to people who enjoy freedom and liberty). But it is a well known viewpoint that many companies share, and it isn't new. This has been making headlines for a few years now (search ATS and you will find a few threads on it, using other articles as launch points in the OP).

Since I was aware of this, when I became unemployed in February (new ownership bought the hotel i managed) i got creative. Some of my civic roles can be seen as a "job" if i expand my activities to take up more time (such as doing more Chamber of Commerce business, since i am on the Board, even though it is nonpaid work it keeps me active among local business leaders).

Knowing that savvy hiring managers in the pay bracket I am looking for would not fall for this ruse, I went and found an actual "job". Once again, this job didn't pay me much. It was commissions only, selling ads for a local radio station. I suck at sales, even though my father was a prodigy. Those genes weren't handed forward (subsequently, I am also a horrible liar, a trait my father also didn't share with me).

So i made an attempt at that "job" as well, without risk to my unemployment (as 100% commission jobs do not disqualify benefits. You only reduce benefits based on earnings - a true win-win for myself in this instance). It kept me even more active among business leaders in the community. To a point where i was given a lead on a really, really good job that was coming up.

This coming Monday i start. I have worked some really big projects before, but nothing like this. And i am bursting with excitement.

I typed the previous 1 million words to give me the context to say this: we can complain about the way the game is played. That is certainly within our rights. However, it is a fruitless endeavor. The people who succeed usually tend to succeed for a reason: they figure out the rules to the game, and then make those rules work for them. If you aren't doing this, you will not be successful.

As a person who has hired, supervised, and fired thousands of people, I can tell you that the first thing I look for in someone is an ability to find success. Learn the way the system works, then play it like a video game. That is the best advice I can give you.

May not be worth much to you.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by chuckk
They are thinking that
1) by being laid off, you have lost your skills.
2) your were laid off (first) because you were not a performer in your previous job(s).

You need to dispel both of the above within your resume, and in person if you get that far.

If you are a professional, and you had a consulting company you could adjust your resume showing you consulting company as the prime hiring company and the companies actually worked for as jobs under the consulting position so job holes would not be as obvious.

This is what i am talking about. Someone that undestands the rules of the game, and adjust strategy accordingly. It is another strategy that I have used in the past. I went and searched out consulting companies and registered myself (and my experience) with them as a freelance consultant. Cognolink is one such example that I have seen around. And you can then list that as recent work history. Besides, "Consultant" works well IF you can speak to the roles and duties (assuming that a gig hasn't been tossed your way to provide you with actual experience as a consultant).

Investing in yourself cannot be overlooked, either. My Chamber board position required me to represent a chamber member during board meetings. Since my former employer was the member i represented, i was left having to pay out of pocket for a chamber membership. But the board position was critical to my local job search as well as resume. So i invested in myself by purchasing an annual membership. In this community, being involved at the chamber is critical to your business success. It is the business owners metaphorical corporate water bottle where everyone meets. As it regards consulting, registering a URL with Wordpress is only 30 bucks a year. Setting up a website is hot that hard using their online tools and templates, giving legitimacy to someones claims of running a consulting operation.

new topics

join